Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Files

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,257 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The only one dreaming is you with your "Nazi 2.0 transphobic agenda is coming" nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'm not looking for a gotcha.

Dr Paul Moran, psychiatrist with the National Gender Service, Dr Donal O'Shea endocrinologist, Marcus Evans former clinical head of the Tavistock are all screaming stop but you know better?

They are not saying we have all the answers they are saying the treatment path is not science based as the Tavistock as per the Cass report had close to zero data to base their treatment methods.

Why re you happy with care which is not based on good data and peer reviewed research as per the Cass report?

This is in a background where the trans demographic has changed beyond recognition from where F to M was a small minority to it being the majority along with an explosion in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They’re really not screaming stop, they’re going well beyond their remit as clinicians and into the realm of politics - Dr. Bell decided to air his dirty laundry in public by throwing the management team at the Tavistock under the bus, Dr. O’ Shea had a falling out with the HSE over the fact that the HSE had begun to take advice from TENI and other advocacy organisations, and last year he ramped the fearmongering up to 11:

https://www.newstalk.com/news/activists-brain-washing-hse-management-on-gender-recognition-bill-1438035

This is in a background where the trans demographic hasn’t changed at all, where the reason FtM were in the minority is because one of the conditions of treatment previously was mandatory sterilisation. Most people who sought treatment didn’t want to undergo forced sterilisation (no medical justification for it whatsoever), but because of their advocacy, mandatory sterilisation was considered a human rights violation for which those who were subjected to it are now being compensated by Government in the countries where the practice was done -

Netherlands:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN28B5UW/

Germany:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN1YZ0YE/

Sweden:

https://www.rfsl.se/en/aktuellt/historic-victory-trans-people-swedish-parliament-decides-compensation-forced-sterilizations/

France:

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN12E03U/

Japan:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/10/25/victory-transgender-rights-japan

United States:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/its-not-just-japan-many-us-states-require-transgender-people-get-sterilized

And sure what’s the harm in just asking a question in the UK, cos they want to have a debate:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/trans-people-japan-sterilise-the-economist-twitter-lgbt-discrimination-a8832041.html

Completely benign, naturally 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭Shoog

Trans people are simply demanding the treatment they deserve and have been dsenied historically, and I will accept the judgement of the adolescents parents on whether they get that treatment over a bunch of transphobic campaigner for its abolition on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

No one with any humanity would ever say that transgender people deserve anything but respect.

Most genuinely trans people want to live their lives as they believe they were born to be - it is not their fault that society has gone down a route where "gender identity" has become something bordering on the sacred; unable to be questioned.

When "gender" is referred to these days what they are really referring to is a set of outdated sex based sterotypes. If a woman feels that she is fairly "masculine" in her outlook - then so what ? There are women engineers; scientists - I had a plumber visit recently and was delighted to see a young woman appear. Good on her. Same for a boy - so what if he loves pink; wants to be a ballerina .. etc!!

Perhaps boys and girls who eschew old fasioned sex based stereotypes may well be gay - perhaps they are not. Let them be kids, and find out who they are instead of performing radical mastectomies on teenagers and pumping them full of drugs.

THAT is the real conversion therapy and it scares me to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

Dr. O’ Shea had a falling out with the HSE over the fact that the HSE had begun to take advice from TENI and other advocacy organisations, and last year he ramped the fearmongering up to 11:

No other branch of healthcare would administrators and policy makers in the HSE take clinical advice from activists who aren't medically qualified, over the heads of experienced clinicians in the field itself. It just wouldn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

When children's care come down to pumping them full of drugs so they fit into certain characteristics that is deemed normal, whatever that is, is a failure. We know this for years, it's nothing new.

🙈🙉🙊

Ehh, taken purely at face value, that’s not correct. The HSE regularly consults with non-clinical professionals, advocacy groups, and patients, in determining healthcare policies, and the area of transgender healthcare is no different, which is why in the UK the NHS has off the back of the Cass interim report decided on a policy which they are framing as a more holistic approach, and in Ireland, the HSE are likely to adopt a similar policy approach:

https://www.thejournal.ie/waiting-lists-for-trans-healthcare-in-ireland-5394843-Mar2021/

https://www.thejournal.ie/transgender-clinic-ireland-6252837-Dec2023/

The conflict is more about office politics being played out in the public domain, than medicine.

Really? Any equivalent examples, where clinical advice is taken from activists over the heads of actual doctors?

TENI opposes what they call the "traditional model" of trans healthcare which involves detailed assessment before getting medication or surgeries, which as far as I know, is how the National Gender Service works. It's a pretty serious conflict in clinical policy, certainly not "office politics".

It would be like me going to my GP asking for the range of treatment options for whatever ails me, and demanding that I get one particular drug, even though the doctor thinks it won't help me. And while there's no doubt that does happen, I don't expect the HSE to endorse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

Your analogy is not exact enough. Let's try to improve it.

Imagine you are going to your doctor because you have a huge, knobby nose and you want to make it look more socially acceptable. Following the HSE guidelines for the special nose care, your doctor gives you an appointment (in 3 years) for a psychologist to determine if your huge nose causes you enough psychological distress to warrant the surgery. If you have managed to convince the psychologist, you will be given an appointment for the surgery in another 3 years.

Personally, I think HSE's guidelines are good in principle, it's just they are practically a mockery due to very long waiting times.

• Advertisement

That is an excellent analogy - why should a person change to fit in with what is deemed socially acceptable ??

I grew up in a time where a man could wear make up and rock the look - or a woman could have short hair, wear a tailored suit and again look stunning. I've known gay men who were built like Bundee Aki and straight men who could be seen as rather effeminate - and women again who were the butchest of lasses and straight, and lesbians who would be dressed to the nines.

No one one suggested they were one of 100 labels; no one pushed them to "socially transition" and for sure no one pushed them into unchartered territory with medication.

The worst thing is now kids don't have the confidence to be themselves, and it is very sad. Stereotypes need to be f***ed off back to the 50s where they should be left to rot - not seen as "progressive".

Well .....

as someone with a bit of a knobby nose, I can confirm it did cause some upset in my youth, but in the fullness of time (without treatment) I am less self conscious and can say I am in fact quite proud of it .. but I'd accept that in extreme cases, surgery might be the right answer, though probably not for minors (and not just because it's better to do when someone has stopped growing). The same reason we don't allow kids to get tattoos basically.

One problem with this analogy though is cosmetic surgery (or speciicfally Rhinoplasty) is just that - it's "cosmetic" and easy to understand the implications of, with not much scope for regret. That just isn't the case for puberty blockers.

I agree with you on the delays for assessment. Afaik the NGS never had responsbility for minors though ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭victor8600

I can agree with you on the excessive labeling point. Trying to fit a real person with a complex personality into a single labelled bin is not progressive.

But to answer your question directly -- a person may want to change their body to align their self-perception with the external appearance, or for social reasons, i.e. to better blend in with a majority group, or for several reasons. In any case, the result is that by changing their body, they improve their quality of life, whether through being at peace with themselves or through the social acceptance.

No analogy is perfect :) I don't know who deals with the trans care for minors, but hopefully minors do not need to wait for years and years.

Specifically for kids, my opinion is that puberty blockers should be allowed, but only for very carefully selected cases. There are kids that express gender dysphoria from a very young age, and it is a consistent and not a pretend feeling. For these very clear cases, I would be 100% for puberty blockers because otherwise their transition later becomes exponentially harder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The studies that say they improve outcomes are all low quality with no control group.

"The evidence for using puberty blocking drugs to treat young people struggling with their gender identity is "very low", an official review has found.

The National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) said existing studies of the drugs were small and "subject to bias and confounding"."

Evidence for puberty blockers use very low, says NICE (bbc.com)

The reason I said I took your point at face value is because I didn’t say anything about taking clinical advice from advocacy groups, and I certainly didn’t claim that their advice was taken over the heads of actual doctors. More times it simply isn’t, and in this case it isn’t any different - the advice from TENI and other advocacy groups isn’t being taken over the heads of clinicians, any more than the advice of clinicians is being taken over the heads of the legal profession in regards to the proposed amendments to the Gender Recognition Act to lower the age requirement to 16 in order to apply for a GRC.

But the most obvious and far more common example is in the area of maternity care and the provision of healthcare in clinical settings, where the HSE sought the opinions of patients who have availed of the services of the public healthcare system, and found them to be wanting:

https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/our-health-service/healthcare-communication/nhcp-review-of-nmes-communication-in-healthcare.pdf

TENI are certainly opposed to the traditional model of care, not just on the basis that they argue it’s invasive, but what they advocate for in it’s place is a model of informed consent:

https://teni.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/TENI-Brief-Model-of-Care.pdf

The reason it’s a serious conflict in clinical policy (and the office politics I refer to is the internal politics and conflict in both the NGS and GIDS in the UK based on clinicians and managements differences of opinion), is because not only do clinicians not take too kindly to the perception that their opinions are being undermined, they also don’t take too kindly to their methods being questioned either.

And yes, it would be exactly like you going to your GP, or any clinician, and demanding that you get one particular drug even though your GP or the clinician doesn’t think it will help you, in fact they’re absolutely certain it will be detrimental and far too great a risk to your overall health and mental wellbeing, but the purpose of the model of informed consent is that ultimately it is your decision. The HSE really doesn’t have that much of a say in the matter, they must abide by Irish law:

https://assets.hse.ie/media/documents/ncr/hse-national-consent-policy.pdf

In practice however, it’s definitely not endorsed, and the HSE have themselves well covered in this regard - they listen, and they’ve got the published reports to demonstrate that they listen, but in practice it’s a very different story, and a relatively benign procedure such as a hip replacement for example can quickly turn into a serious conflict of interest if the patient doesn’t consent to the procedure as determined by clinicians. The anaesthetist was particularly upset, the consultant was a bit more understanding - reluctant to proceed in accordance with the patient’s wishes, but after filling out a considerable amount of paperwork which wouldn’t have been necessary for a routine procedure, the operation proceeded smoothly and the outcome was a positive result.

I don’t recommend it though. The point being that in any clinical setting, the patient must be able to exercise informed consent, or must have the ability to exercise informed consent through an advocate on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Personally speaking I have nothing against trans people themselves, however on saying that I have nothing but contempt for the pushing of the (transgender ideology) by WPATH and others on the rest of society! 

We're constantly told how small the percentage of trans people is in society, yet the current climate has been poisoned by forcefully pushing the ideology onto everybody whether we like it or not. Messing about with our language (what is a woman), changing meanings (gender self id), creation of trans hate speech (misgendering) whilst at the same time the ideology is messing with vulnerable (kids with issues) by planting false narratives in their heads through social media /social contagion, selling them a dream that can never be ...

It's absolutely crazy to think that anybody can change gender by just announcing that they've "transitioned" which means what exactly? With less then 10% have gender affirming surgery "transitioning" for most trans people is just self gender id (as a social construct), which we must all believe, obey, & buy into - Really India?

People who are fully paid up subscribers /or believers might say "I was assigned the wrong gender at birth, so I've now transitioned & this is my new gender, and here is my matching pronoun", which you must address me by, or ... 🥱

Glad the WPATH files have been brought to the publics attention, glad also NHS England has stopped giving puberty blockers to just anyone under eighteen, this move should have a knock-on effect here too, God willing.

So let trans people be trans, let them have full rights, due protection, love and affection, free from persecution, with full respect by society, but lets halt the ideology being foisted upon society, lets stop them messing with language and meanings (woman being the prime example), and lets stop them putting young people on an ideological path that they has no basis in science or biology.

Finally, something should be done about our TDs spouting off ideological claptrap in the Dail, Mary Lou being the loudest & most vocal, with talk of chestfeeding, gender assigned at birth, birthing person & Transmen giving birth - to babies !!! 

Batshit crazy stuff, thanks to WPATH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So you would "accept the judgement of the adolescents parents" if they refused to go down the medicalization route? Yeah right. You'd be screaming about Nazis and probably calling for their kids to be removed so they could be transitioned against their wishes.

And yes, it would be exactly like you going to your GP, or any clinician, and demanding that you get one particular drug even though your GP or the clinician doesn’t think it will help you, in fact they’re absolutely certain it will be detrimental and far too great a risk to your overall health and mental wellbeing, but the purpose of the model of informed consent is that ultimately it is your decision. The HSE really doesn’t have that much of a say in the matter, they must abide by Irish law:

https://assets.hse.ie/media/documents/ncr/hse-national-consent-policy.pdf

You can't demand (by right) medication to be prescribed which a doctor thinks might harm you. That would be basically legalising access to all illegal drugs.

That 120 page document you linked is about making sure that a patient consents to treatment that a doctor wants you to have. It's not about giving access to treatment that the patient wants, which a doctor disagrees with.

I think this "one day" will be coming fairly soon, when more of the young people whose lives have been destroyed start coming forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I often wonder what the trans extremists would think if presented with a 14 year old girl that wanted to get breast implants, or a 14 year old boy that wanted to have penis enlargement surgery, or a 14 year old boy or girl that wanted to start using anabolic steroids to improve their physique for purely non competitive reasons.

All right thinking people would naturally balk at the suggestion of any of those things being allowed to happen but objectively, they aren't too far removed from puberty blockers or hormone therapy.

• Advertisement

You can, by right, demand whatever the hell you want. That doesn’t mean you’re going to get it. I was working within the framework which you provided, which is that the clinician must give you the information in an objective manner, and while their opinions based upon their expertise is certainly worthy of consideration, ultimately it is a decision that must be made by the patient.

The 120 page document I provided was simply to demonstrate the importance of informed consent in HSE policies, the document was updated in 2022 to take account of changes in Irish law. If you want to frame it in terms of the treatments a doctor wants you to have, it’s really just the same thing - doctor wants you to have a particular treatment, you refuse that particular treatment and demand a different treatment, it raises a conflict between patient and clinician, and makes things pretty inconvenient all round, which is why clinicians who are used to traditional or standard practice, are understandably reluctant to deviate from traditional practice.

Where Dr. O’ Shea and colleagues are concerned, their point is that they don’t want to deviate from standard practice because they’re dealing with patients who have been treated elsewhere and are now being seen by them. It’s a legitimate concern, but it’s not one that should ultimately determine policy here in Ireland, which is why they feel they’re not being listened to by the HSE and go crying to the media that they’re not being listened to, which is simply not true:

"It doesn't surprise me that the WPATH model is in the Programme for Government," Prof O’Shea said.

"The activist agenda in this trans space, is dominant within HSE. To the point that, they're ignoring completely our advice based on clinical experience over 25 years that the activist agenda is resulting in harm."

The HSE rejects the notion that it had succumbed to an activist agenda that was causing harm. In its statement it said that was "not true".

"It is recognised best practice to develop a Model of Care in a consultative way, engaging with all relevant stakeholders...It is possible to argue that service users and patient representatives are "activists," and that all or some such groups should not be involved in developing Models of Care, but this is not the HSE approach," it said.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2023/1214/1422073-leading-doctors-complain-hse-to-hiqa-over-transgender-care/

Why do you want people to socially conform to what you expect of them ?

Thats a fairly unreasonable position to take but seems to be the basis of a lot of the criticism here.

I certainly would accept that for the time where they are the responsible adult. If they attempted to transition in a none supportive environment it would be bad for everyone - especially the child.

You have a very perverse way of looking at what I have explicitly said on numerous occasions.

I often wonder what the trans extremists would think if presented with a 14 year old girl that wanted to get breast implants

Should declare herself "buxom" gender. That'll get all the team on her side

Just needs someone to design the flag first.

Or move to the UK and have the procedure done on the NHS:

https://archive.ph/ryXBA

Clearing my browser cache now 😒

Wow, you had to go back 26 years to find this one. Also, maybe you missed this part

The operation will take place in January after final talks with the girl and her mother. Both are committed to the surgery, which will correct abnormal lack of growth in one breast.

Sounds like there was actually a medical need for this, only one breast was growing which is why it says she is the first to get "an implant".

Talking of batshit crazy.

When you proceed from the assumption that all the transgender noise is coming from transgender activist everything else cannot be taken remotely seriously. The majority of the noise is coming from hard line conservatives campaigning against the very existence of transgenderism.

"Personally I have nothing against transgender people" - pull the other one.

Incredibly, you managed to overlook the actual medical justification for the procedure:

after suffering "enormous psychological distress" over her appearance.

I didn’t have to go back 25 years either, that was just the first case reported in the media, because of the unusual circumstances involved - that she was the youngest person in the UK to have the procedure done.

There’s actually no age limit, nothing to do with being transgender or otherwise, it’s just a fact that most surgeons will specify that the patient must be over 18, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

More sensationalist bunkum tbh.

Naturally there are some quarters that want to remove trans folk from existence, just like there are hardliners about religion, immigration, etc, but to blanket label everyone that asks prudent questions is disingenuous at BEST, at worst it's a deliberate attempt to shut people down, to shame them into not speaking their mind, a preemptive cancellation attempt.

We have seen multiple instances of the cancel culture propagated by trans extremists and people are wise to it, the dogma will no longer be accepted and the world will be a better place for it.

• Advertisement

You’re either misunderstanding or deliberately misrepresenting my comment.

My point is that I clearly DON’T think that!

It is a very concerning, and sadly very vocal, part of society that is expecting people to change to fit into their many labels.

People should be able to wear what they want, act how they want, sleep with either sex - or both - as they see fit, without being pigeonholed into a hundred different artificially created labels.

Advertisement