Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Files

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Evidence based medicine is not hatred.

Verifying a drug is safe and effective is not conservative or anti woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I don't think it matters to you what anyone says on this topic.

Your mind is made up and anyone who disagrees with you in any way shape or form is a bigot.

A close relative of mine has been trans for decades and they are currently dealing with severe health issues as a result, I don't bring this up in these conversations because it's nobody's business but I feel it's relevant to counteract the absolute hubris you're presenting here about people with opinions divergent from yours having never encountered a trans person.

You need to get off your soap box and grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭nachouser

I think some posters, myself included, just find the number of transgender threads on boards.ie a bit odd, given how few people are actually in that category in Ireland. I mean, they probably just want to own their own identity and deserve a bit of empathy and not being used as the latest anti-woke battering ram without consideration that there are actual people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The issue is precisely that for transgender activists it's not enough to have their own identity and get on with their lives they expect people and society to have to conform to what they want and if this doesn't happen it means their transphobes.

I'm completely indifferent to transgender people (same as any other group of people) up until the point I have to ignore common sense and reality in order to placate them.

Giving puberty blockers to stop a natural development process of adolescents is barbaric people are right to criticise this kind of medical treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭nachouser

Given that the HSE says there are less than 10 kids under the age of 16 on puberty blockers, it's an odd concern. Two of your five threads on this account are trans related so I'd suggest it's inaccurate to say you are completely indifferent to transgender people. I'd say you are 60% indifferent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,587 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is where the sort of anti-trans rhetoric ultimately ends, with 10-15k gay men murdered in concentration camps. This is why the dehumanising of transgender people must be opposed where clever it rears it ugly head.

The murder and persecution of people of different gender identity is happening as we speak where the rhetoric of demegogue has gone unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Yeah being opposed to puberty blockers being given to children means you want to send people to the gas chambers.

Stop talking nonsense would you, it's the same level of disingenuous argument that people use to try and stop Israel from getting any sort of criticism as a country.

Sorry if I don't buy you line of argument - the rhetoric that you and others are indulging in means that 2021 had the highest rate of anti-transgender murders in American history.

"2021 was the deadliest year for transgender and gender non-conforming people in the U.S. on record. At least 50 trans and gender non-conforming people were killed this year alone, per a report by LGBTQ advocacy organization the Human Rights Campaign (HRC)—the highest number of deaths since the organization began recording fatal violence in 2013."

Meanwhile in Ireland;

"Ireland has the highest rates of hate crime against transgender people and people of African heritage in the EU"

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-highest-rates-hate-crime-12846133

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What’s being claimed in this thread though isn’t based on evidence, it’s just throwing out the usual tropes, and very little evidence of any discussion about evidence based medicine, apart from Hamsterchops nearly losing the run of themselves when they heard on GB News what they thought was the idea that puberty blockers were being banned in the UK.

I’ve no doubt you’re aware of what is meant by evidence based medicine, and the scientific and medical evidence for the use of puberty blockers in the treatment of gender dysphoria or gender incongruence has been available not just in the UK, but globally, for the last 30 years at least.

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2008/aug/14/children.youngpeople

The drugs have been verified as safe and effective, and you’re right, the science and medicine has nothing to do with being conservative or anti-woke, but let’s not pretend that the reason they aren’t used in normal practice in the UK has anything to do with science or medicine, it’s entirely motivated by politics. If it weren’t, we’d hear far more about the thousands of children who are blasted with radiation and stuffed to the gills with chemotherapy drugs as part of cancer treatment which in most instances leaves the patient infertile.

Instead what we’ve been hearing about is how people who are transgender if left untreated will grow up to be happy homosexuals who will be told what bathroom to use because people can’t distinguish between a person who is transgender, and an opportunistic pervert. There are far more opportunistic perverts than there are people who are transgender, and they don’t generally wear women’s clothing:

https://www.thejournal.ie/bill-kenneally-6325971-Mar2024/

The reality for people who are transgender however, is far more stark, certainly more so today than it was 30 years ago:

Given these societal changes and progress, we would expect that experiencing transgender identity milestones in adolescence and transitioning into college as a transgender student would be less disruptive to educational attainment today than in the past, with younger cohorts of transgender adolescents better positioned to transform trans identities into resources (Nicolazzo 2016).

However, associations observed in the NTDS sample suggest that this is not the case, as the negative associations between first experiencing transgender identity milestones in adolescence and educational attainment are more pronounced among younger birth cohorts than among older birth cohorts. Transphobia is still highly pervasive in today’s society (Grant et al. 2010Norton and Herek 2013), and increased attention to transgender rights and issues may increase the visibility and thus stigma faced by transgender students, making it more disruptive to explore and express gender variant identities in adolescence today than in the past.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6234844/

(US-based study from 2019), but the political and social landscape in the UK has been taking a similar trajectory for about the same period of time, not so in Ireland where in spite of healthcare and education being a bit shìte, there hasn’t been the backlash against people who are transgender that has been observed in other countries, which is interesting only for the fact that given the results of the recent referendum, my curiosity was piqued:

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/international-womens-day-survey-2024

At least the most unpopular politician in the UK has found a way back though, off the back of perpetuating fear, division, distrust among the younger generations who aren’t even old enough to vote yet. Best get in early though:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entry/poll-shows-liz-truss-remains-really-unpopular-ahead-of-popular-conservatism-launch_uk_65c0171ee4b0a3aad5a5aa0a/

Nope, I hadn’t ever heard of the term ‘Popular Conservatism’ as a political philosophy before in my life either, but it seems everyone’s entitled to make it up as they go along… except people who are transgender, of course 😒

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popular_Conservatism

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭plodder

National Gender Service doc (Prof. Donal O'Shea) says the "widespread prescribing of puberty blockers has clearly been shown to be incorrect and should stop ..." in response to the NHS decision in England.

Reported on RTE news this evening. Think I'm quoting him right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭concerned_tenant

Nobody supports the murder of transgender individuals.

But activists who try to foist their agenda upon the general population -- such as biological men competing against women etc. -- means that a small, radicalised number of people in society will act violently. Men cannot become biological women; that's a fact. If you try to force the opposite upon the general population; that they are hateful bigots for suggesting otherwise; the vast majority will say nothing, probably for fear of the consequences. But a tiny minority will act violently. You cannot force a religious idea onto society. It never works. It never will.

Why do you think the majority are fearful of expressing their opinions -- what are considered biological facts? Is that the relationship that activists want to have with 95% of the general population?

That doesn't justify the violence, far from it; the violence is totally unacceptable, but it means that it is a predictable consequence of irrational ideology being foisted upon society.

When ideology is forced upon a population, a small minority will always fight back violently.

So don't force the ideology, then everyone is satisfied. And nobody feels compelled to resort to needless, stupid acts of violence.

Moderate pro-gay, pro-trans people are equally opposed to having this ideology forced upon them.

Perhaps listening to their voice matters. Not condemning them, but actually listening; you know, the kind of thing that used to be normal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's never been shown to be safe and effective to the standard required for this application. Hence the NHS pretty much declared they wouldn't be prescribed anymore in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I wonder will the HSE follow suit?

Post edited by Hamsterchops on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It has though, and the reason the NHS declared they would no longer be prescribed for patients in the NHS had nothing to do with their efficacy (I’ve already provided evidence that their use improves the patients quality of life), and everything to do with the public backlash which followed on from the fact that the Tavistock, which prescribed the treatments (it didn’t administer them, that was done in another clinic), was badly managed by the management team that the Trustees of the clinic had put in place.

The medication will still be available privately in the UK, unless Liz Truss’ bill is passed into law (highly unlikely), which would make it illegal for anyone in the UK to procure them, let alone prescribe them for their patients. It’s a hurdle, nothing more, when anyone who wants will still be able to procure and self-administer the drugs themselves from international sources, and that’s never a good thing, because they’re often doing so without medical supervision or clinical oversight:

https://www.thepinknews.com/2019/05/20/gendergp-trans-clinic-moving-spain-uk-suspends-doctors/

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-65136838.amp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Imagine advocating for kids to be experimented on by never going through puberty and thinking you're on the right side of history. It's sick. Literally no one knows the long term effects of not growing as you're supposed to and replacing the natural process with a cocktail of drugs, not only physically but mentally. The hormones released during puberty are essential for brain development as well as growth. What could possibly go wrong? Better to not hurt any feelings by saying no. Would the same people also advocate for kids to choose to have a vasectomy or tubal litigation if they are "sure" they won't want kids in the future? Doubtful, because we know that kids can't understand or make such decisions

No supports murder, but that is where your rhetoric inevitably leads. Your statements encourage others to commit acts of violence up to and Including murder.

You can't wash your hands of responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

And those same people comparing people that question it to the nazis, a group that committed countless human experiments. Mind boggling lack of awareness.

Last time I looked doctors treating transgender people weren't murdering anyone.

And people that question men competing against women or the giving of unproven drugs to children weren't sending people to death camps.🤷‍♂️

Give them time ....

In many parts of the world such as Russia and Nigeria that's exactly what they are doing on the back of homophobic rhetoric.

It took a decade of slow small incremental regulation descriminating against homosexuals in Germany before a single one was sent to the concentration camps.

Donald Trump has also openly advocated for shooting thieves and drug dealers. It's a slippery slope once a homophobic demegogue gains power.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Insane how not letting children make crazy life altering decisions is now the same as being a Nazi. This is the way the western world has gone unfortunately. Shut up and do what we tell you or you are a fascist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭tom23

Well said.

I love how you, an average jo in the street are such an expert on transgender treatment that you can second guess a qualified physician - because you just know it's wrong.

Oh lord.

Ah yes, Russia and Nigeria, both nations that are historically beacons for human rights.

As for bringing Trump into it, that says more about you and the weak position of your argument tbh. I'm also not sure what homophobia has to do with it.🤷‍♂️

You jumped the shark a few pages back, nothing you're saying here has any basis in reality.

Pure scaremongering in a pathetic attempt to win an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2023/1214/1422073-leading-doctors-complain-hse-to-hiqa-over-transgender-care/

You can look up interviews with Dr Bell and Marcus Evans(50 years working in the Tavistock between them)in the Guardian if you want more queries from medics in these islands raising concerns.

It's really weird when people raise concerns for a vulnerable young group as to their medical care that

1. They are called bigots

2. Supposed advocates for the group are ok with sub standard care (as per the Cass report)

Of all the fields of science medics is the one that needs most oversight; there is always a charlatan/psychopath looking to make a quick buck/boost their ego whether it's plastic surgery, stem cells, gene therapy etc etc.

Just a tip for you, there was a period of history prior to 1930. Someone that doesn't agree with you isn't automatically a Nazi.

There is nothing pathetic about pointing out where the demonizing of the other always inevitably leads us. Human history should provide more than enough examples to show that complacency is ill founded. The sort of hate mongering rhetoric been used across the board by the right wing at the moment is very concerning and transphobic hate speech is the canary in the coalmine.

So forgive me if I don't take you to seriously here on this.

Dr Bell has been discussed here already. Needless to say he is not the gotcha you think he is.

Germany in the 1920-30 was one of the most liberal countries with regard to tolerance of homosexuality in the world - in little less than a decade under a demagogue dictator they were gasing gays. The decline in barbarity starts with hate speech against minorities and ends with dead people. Its already well underway in Hungary and until the recent change in government in Poland.

You're citing the actions of the Nazis as evidence of what you believe will happen to transgender people if others are allowed to question the wisdom of offering treatments to children which science hasn't had time to understand the long term consequences of.

Literally anything anyone says that isn't advocating for thoughtlessly offering any and every treatment regardless of its efficacy or its potential to cause harm is appropriated by you as an act of hatred.

You have nothing to offer to this conversation beyond your own poorly realised opinion, so I couldn't care less if you don't take me seriously, I'll consider it a badge of honour.

• Advertisement

Demonizing

Hate mongering

Transphobic hate speech

I've said it before, use of provocative language like this is pro-trans extremists 101, its a deliberate and concerted attempt to silence anyone that dares ask the questions that need to be asked.

Bringing nazi Germany and Trump into things is an extension of this, bad faith arguments designed solely to sensationalise and stifle debate.

Advertisement