Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killaloe bypass, Shannon crossing & R494 Birdhill-Killaloe

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,811 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's only got 33m of head (measured at low tide!). That's a measly 3.2 bar of pressure, 0.2 more than my plumbing operates at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭dennyk

The R494 is meant to reopen this coming May, once the work on the railway bridge is complete. According to the current plans, the traffic management measures on the R494 should also be gone by that point, though there's always a chance some of the other work might be delayed and still require some realignments and single-lane traffic management measures for a time.

Currently there's no permanent obstruction on the R463 at the north junction of the bypass, only an occasional stop/go traffic management system for when equipment is crossing the road. I don't know if there will be any future closures there when they start working on the new roundabout in earnest, but I'd think there should be sufficient room to allow traffic through, albeit maybe with some alignment shifts from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@Hibernicis I'm not sure if their ESB are still running tours of the facility. I went some years back and it was fascinating and I would highly recommend it if the opportunity arises.

Some of the lads from my Men's Shed went on the tour there last year. They very much enjoyed it. I haven't been there since a school tour back in the 70's.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In the case of Dungloe in Donegal, the local system that was replaced was already hydroelectric but prone to not generating enough power in drier months.

Had an early case of demand-shedding, the churches and some other properties had electric heating that could be turned off at the power station if output was low!

28 different pre-ESB private operators in Donegal towns and villages, some very small (Frosses for instance)

https://esbarchives.ie/2017/09/18/connecting-donegal-to-the-national-grid/

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭pajoguy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Video from Dronehawk showing progress on the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭pajoguy

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGemXY5yW/

O connel quarriee tiktok footage of concrete pour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Great find, great video. Pity it’s so short. Bridge very advanced in the few weeks since the Dronehawk video.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Good old DroneHawk was out again. It looks like all the steelwork is in.

• Advertisement

There is a dark side to this project. The roads on the Ballina side were in need of a major fix and upgrade even a couple years prior to them even removing all those lovely old trees, but the project has delayed any prospect of that as it's part of the finishing touches, so in the meantime the roads have further degraded and become more manky.

I can't wait till this is finished just so the roads get the attention thay have needed for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭dennyk

Which roads on the Ballina side? The whole of the R494 from the R496 junction to the Birdhill roundabout is being completely rebuilt as part of the whole bypass project, so that's going to be a brand new and much wider/straighter stretch of road once the work is done.

The R496 was being patched almost weekly when it was raining and thay have had to resurface bits and scrape dirt accumulations at the base of bounding walls to recover lost width as all traffic now uses it and large semi's are barely squeezing past each other, and they have to pick their places in order to manage that. It's not reacting gracefully to taking all the traffic. As for that moronic, typical Irish penny pinching single lane choke point at the R445 junction, words fail me. Effectively now 4 lanes of traffic all squeezed down into one to save rebuilding or adequately upgrading a tiny bridge across a stream - grrrrr.

The R494 is the one that I am mostly referring to. It has been of inadequate condition for years. The remaining section not closed from the R496 junction into the village up to the car park at the boat ramp would be the bit that most needs some attention. I can't even remember the last time any resurfacing was done on it. It's needed doing for many years.

Knowing something will be fixed in time is no consolation in the present.

Had I been aware they were going to remove all the trees along the R494 in order to improve it as much as they look to be doing, I'd prefer they had left the trees alone and not upgraded it beyond what could be done consistent with retaining the trees.

I know that sounds very nimby but anyone not familliar with the Bidhill to Ballina journey prior, I would hope would concur. Must have been quite impressive for tourists, I know it had an impact on me first time I drove it.

Advertisement