Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killaloe bypass, Shannon crossing & R494 Birdhill-Killaloe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭pajoguy

The Road Closure for the R-494 is until 3rd May 2024 so I would assume that section will be open at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TheBaldyRef

The road closure is till May to facilitate the railway bridge only. When that's complete the road will open but the road upgrade for that section won't be complete. I don't understand why they can't upgrade that road while the bridge closed as very little traffic now. Makes no sense. That point was made to me by a business owner on that road. Very little happening in regards to the road itself which is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 TheBaldyRef

Drove the section of road from Larkins to the railway bridge. From the river to halfway to Larkins (roughly 500m) one side of the road is complete just an extra layer or two of tarmac. Now working on the the opposite side of the road. Railway bridge still well off. The river crossing has plenty of activity going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/clare/news/new-river-shannon-crossing-to-transform-links-between-tipperary-and-clare/a1530840356.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

From the above article. First beam has been placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Video of the second beam being installed.

DroneHawk took a trip to Killaloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Classically elegant look about that bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Agreed, early days yet but the new bridge looks like it could be one that looks like it has always been there when it opens.

Is there any possibility of the old bridge being made pedestrian/cyclist only after the new bridge opens? I think that would be fantastic but I'm sure there would be plenty of opposition, maybe pedestrian/cyclist only at certain times could be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

As far as I know the old bridge is to become a 1 way, no idea which direction they're planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This scheme looks very advanced already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

The existing bridge is to be pedestrianised as part of a town face-lift.

https://www.clarecoco.ie/services/planning/killaloe-ballina-plan/

There are monthly updates on the clare county council website of the scheme. Drone footage of the length of the scheme is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

For once they are designing a bridge that looks elegant and decent, rather than one that tries to be a statement piece, or one that is just done in the cheapest way humanly possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I tried to find publicly accessable vantage points to take some photos of the progress but they are scant on the Ballina side.

On Approach to Shannon at Midday

What I really like about this project is that it not only provides new modern infrastructure, it also removes the burden of the modern world from historic infrastructure which was never intended to carry huge numbers of 1ton vehicles every day.

I'd love to see a programme of new bridges to allow old stone bridges to be used by pedestrians/cyclists only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

I dunno. The blue is nce but it loosk bland enough.

Maybe give it a fake suspension bridge look and it would be something to be proud of

Bland it may turn out to be but as I said before, I think the new bridge could have that "looks like it has always been there" look about it. That could also fall into the category of bland but I'd prefer an understated charm to trying too hard to impress. Early days yet and it could go either way but I think it is encouraging so far.

Ardnacrusha delivers SFA these days in terms of the grids overall capacity. I'd like to see them decommission it and open all the gates and restore the rapids between Ballina and Killaloe there once were before it was built. And they could also remove that appalling monstrosity of an eel seive tacked onto the stone bridge. You would also get back a small drowned village and church from the waters just south of the new bridge, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Act Fast

We need every bit of energy we can get and Ardnacrusha delivers when the wind isn't blowing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Not going to happen, not just for the need for power from Ardnacrusha but also it would cut off boat navigation from Killaloe to Limerick and badly affect the navigation and water levels further up the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,266 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Boat traffic to Limerick could continue if the old canal was reinstated.

You'd have a still water canal right into Lock Quay and no strong flow in the Abbey River.

It would be a very attractive navigation for the inland boats but obviously restricted for larger vessels.

But as you say, not going to happen.

When the wind isn't blowing, Ardnacrusha delivers 86 MW. That's only about 1.5% of demand. But yes, it's not going to happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Am I right in saying that the massive Shannon hydropower scheme completed by Siemens in the 1930s and which electrified the whole of rural Ireland only delivered 86 MW? Seems very quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Sorry for the questions that have probably been answered a good bit above

Coming from Birdhill side (The Applegreen for example) to Killaloe and onto Ogonnelloe/Scariff, at that roundabout, how long more will the road straight through the roundabout be closed for?

Basically, will a clean route from the Applegreen to Ogonnelloe be back open any time soon or will diversions still be going on for a long time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

The station opened in 1929 with three turbines with a combined output of 62MW. The uptake was faster than expected and phase two was initiated in 1933 and went live in 1935 adding a single additional turbine with 24MW capacity, bringing the output to 86MW. The original turbines are still running.

The output was sufficient for the nationwide rural electrification scheme, including many towns and villages, and it also supplanted the "power houses" which were owned and operated in larger centres.

I'm not sure if their ESB are still running tours of the facility. I went some years back and it was fascinating and I would highly recommend it if the opportunity arises.

Advertisement