Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnoea and CPAP

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I buy from here https://shop.resmed.com/ I joined their sleep club and get an extra 5% off too and yes I put it in as part of my medical expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I managed to get a Drugs payment scheme refund the first time I bought a machine, but that was over 12 years ago and it wasn't a full refund as I had to pay the monthly limit (80e today). This time I was told no and the excuse given was the machine was not being supplied from their list of approved suppliers.

I would suggest you contact the HSE https://www2.hse.ie/services/schemes-allowances/ and get a drug payment scheme card (you nay already have one) and then ask about their list of approved suppliers .... that way you can then folow up and ask will/can you claim a refund. Obviously if you use cpap.eu you are put in the naughty corner for saving them and yourself money.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭vidapura

Right, thanks.

I didn't know there was a card.. they won't give me a medical card (hence wanting to get out of this endless paying of 100 euros a month myself) so they probably wont give me one of those ones either...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Anyone can ask for a Drug Payment scheme card - we had one and it kicked in when we were over the monthly limit - I seem to recall the pharmacy dealt with it directly but that was a good while ago, the system may have changed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

US President Joe Biden is using CPAP for sleep apnea.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Across the pond there are 8 million Americans using CPAP machines per sleep sources.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Lynchy747

Hi all, I was recently diagnosed with mild sleep apnea. The doc said my AHI score was 9 and advised that I lose some weight.

I opted to get a machine for a few months anyway to see if it makes any difference. The doc said it might be a good idea to see if it help.

I feel quite unrested in the mornings (for many years at this point) so I'm hoping I'll get a noticeable change whenever I get the machine and also lose a bit of weight! I know my score was only 9 but I guess it still has an impact.

Just wanted to ask if anyone who uses Resmed would know if they can provide different types of masks to try or if they'll only provide one?

I think either a combo or full mask will suit me best as I flip flop between nose and mouth breathing throughout the night. Any insight would be much appreciated!

They will try masks for you till they find one that suits. I think I went through around 5 over quite a long period.

If you have to buy the machine would you not consider losing some weight first and see does that resolve it? I am not offering medical advice, just offering a suggestion. I have been diagnosed with severe (49) SA currently with a rate of an average of 9 while using a CPAP, it seems to be the best result achievable at the moment, though like yourself I wake up feeling as though I could do with a night's sleep.

Thanks for the reply! I'll be renting off Resmed for three months and trying to lose the weight alongside that. Will see what happens glad they let you try a few rather than just getting you to stick to one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

I kiss my machine every morning. Love it. Proper sleep!

as for mask, highly recommend the Airfit P10

The most suitable mask is the one that fits and suits you, its a very personal thing.

Thanks guys, after testing positive for COVID yesterday, the day before the nurse was meant to call!

Hoping to get a remote appointment in the next few days. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread as I start out on the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭redsheeps

I know you posted this a good time ago, but am curious about your experience with the tax reclaiming with renting a CPAP machine.

Have you successfully reclaimed 20% off the monthly/yearly cost of rental?

I'm prescribed CPAP and currently rent at €96 a month. With the €80 drug payment scheme limit, I reclaim €16 a month. However, are we entitled to reclaim 20% of the remaining €80?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Airfit P10 are class.

For anyone struggling with a mask, try pillows.

I have a Devilbliss machine and use Airfit pillows.

very comfortable and doesn’t bother me.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I've recently moved abroad and decided to get another sleep study done here so I can claim the cost of the CPAP through the health system. They also offer the Inspire implant or an oral device as alternatives to CPAP for some patients. When I was tested here they did the standard sleep study but the morning after they also did an endoscopy while I was sleeping sedated to see if the dental device works in opening up any blockages. I found out the results today and apparently the dental device will substantially alleviate my symptoms and all going well could be an alternative to the CPAP. If there's anywhere in Ireland that offers the additional test I would recommend getting it done. My apnea was pretty severe (60-80ahi on my back) but they seem to think I'm an ideal candidate for the oral device. It would certainly be easier for travelling and to clean, not to mention cheaper in the long run. I'll come back with an update once I have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any links to what this dental device is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Not sure if there is a test, my doc recommended a guy in clontarf Dr John O’Brien at Cresent Clinic.

i got the device, but after a while found it uncomfortable, jaws hurt all the time and struggled with it. It was a very rigid piece of kit

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody here have an issue with one nostril closing when sleeping on their sides? I use a nose pillow and the nostril nearest the bed pillow closes off when sleeping on either side. Can anything be done to prevent this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Did they do an endoscopy on you with a test device first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

No, it's just something that has developed over time

Hi Folks,

two bits from me.

Firstly .. a tube hanger...

I bought a CPAP tube hanger from Temu of all places .. for like €8.. and I'm happy to say it works like a charm. A gooseneck thing that clamps onto the bedhead and suspends the tube above your head... If you tend to roll over at night it takes all the strangling out of it..😁

Just search for "CPAP Hose Holder "to see various options

Secondly, I'm back again lookin at buying my CPAP machine outright. I've an airsense 10 and think I'll just get one of those as the reviews of airsense 11 aren't promising...

I see there is are two sites that look likely: cpapstore.eu and cpapeuropa.com

Has anyone any experience of buying from either of them?

Also, is there any special knowledge needed to affect settings in the airsense 10 that I need to know about?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Such low numbers..I tested at 105ahi... Funny thing was I was sleeping very well. 😁

Presumably you are not on a cpap machine, what sort of numbers are you averaging now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

TEMU …. Well well🥹!

The prices for face masks are really cheap versus the usual sites.

Would you chance buying your replacement masks/ tubes etc from them??? €22 doe full face a mask seems too good to be true

but might gamble and see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I am using a cpap, Usually 2-5. At the moment 25/30 due to a cold...

Sorry that was supposed to read 'now on a cpap'. Thats a very good result.

mm.. I dunno would I buy anything I really have to depend on from Temu..

Definitely nothing with a plug on it anyway 😁

I reckon its alright for basic stuff.. we got some great stocking fillers for the kids for christmas etc..

And for the hose holder I figured theres not much of a risk.. 8 bucks.. it either works or it doesn't...

I think for hoses and stuff like that where mould or hygiene could be an issue if the right materials aren't used.. hmmm.. probly not...

I've a big durty head cold at the moment.

I use the nasal pillows mask.. so I'm having a rough time getting to sleep cos my nose keeps blocking.

I just can't relax with a full face mask.. the nasal pillows were the only way I could cope with CPAP.

I use the sudafed nasal spray to clear the nose before going to bed.. but I'm told its a bad idea to use it too much as there is some sort of a "bounce back"

Not sure what that means but think it means the nasal passages will clog.

Anyone got any tips for alternatives for clearing the nasal passages?

• Advertisement

Saline wash can be effective. Sounds a bit horrible but once you have got the hang of it its no problem and it can work pretty well.

Advertisement