Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink - future routes for next Metrolink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭spillit67

So Tallaght gets a second rail line so.

This is just imagined by you with a hypothetical Metro line.

Sandyford is exploding in population along with Cherrywood.

Both Sandyford and Tallaght have very good claims for another line.

Claims for a line going to it- with Luas or Metro

UCD

Sandyford

Tallaght

Everywhere else is just a Dublin suburb that would absolutely benefit from a Luas or Metro but isn’t an absolute must like those three locations.

There is no logic in this “Sandyford already has one” whilst talking about Tallaght 2.0.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I really don't get the logic of Sandyford having both a Luas and Metro line is bad, if the same person is instead suggesting the Tallaght gets both a Luas and Metro line!

(Of course Sandyford might just end up with a Metro under a GL Metro upgrade).

Not that I have any issues with either of the above or think that they are competing corridors, but the argument doesn't make sense.

The issue with Tallaght is that it is the end of the line, you can't go South due to the Dublin Mountains. Sandyford on the other hand is very much not the end of the line, it is just the start of the entire area south of it with incredible potential for dense development and growth.

It isn't really about bringing two lines to the people of Sandyford. It is about allowing the Green Luas line to be extended to Bray and unlocking all that development potential.

That just isn't possible with the capacity of the Green line at the moment. One way or another, either GL Metro upgrade or UCD Metro, etc. that corridor's capacity needs to be greatly increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

The more this gets discoursed, the more I think we'd simply be better served by doing an underground/elevated orbital stitching the mainlines together. SW Metro has a density issue meaning that it struggles to justify a radial Metro on its own terms. A proper orbital would mean they could avail of any number of the DART+ lines, or the Metrolink to get to work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So Metro West. I do hope it returns eventually, it does make sense and could certainly help Tallaght, though not Sandyford and the Southern corridor, Dublin Mountains in the way.

• Advertisement

They're only in the way for parts of it, certainly not a barrier to doing an alignment between the two regions. There is also certainly folk who live ther who work in City west etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭loco_scolo

There's no difference between Tallaght and Sandyford in terms of development potential and potential to feed in passengers from surrounding areas. Tallaght has Saggart, Citywest, Rathcoole, Firehouse, Woodstown. It also has Ballymount between Tallaght and the city. Sandyford doesn't have a Ballymount equivalent.

It currently takes 40minutes from Tallaght to Abbey, versus 23minutes from Sandyford to Westmoreland. The Red line is vastly inferior to the Green Line and needs a new alignment for an upgrade.

There should be a new line to Tallaght and a GL upgrade.

Sure, Metro West didn't envisage doing that, but if the need is there today or in the future, certainly no harm in extending it between them. The Beauty of Metro West was that you could do it in sections and expand it over time and still be very useful without having to do the full circle line from the start.

Sure, but now you are tunnelling a few KM's under Tallaght, big increase in cost. But yes, it has potential, but WAY more expensive then a simple upgrade to the GL. But I agree, it really should be both, these really are two totally different projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Your forgetting that sandyford also has one of the best functioning QBCs in the country along the N11 into the city centre as well as the GL.

From sandyford LUAS stop to Blackrock dart station is only 3km away, but you have to cross the aforementioned N11 QBC 900m into your journey to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thats crazy, never realise they were that close to eachother.

• Advertisement

That’s not Sandyford.

The “I don’t care where” but constantly dismissing Sandyford is gas.

Because they aren’t actually that close together. Sandyford Luas stop and Blackrock DART station are nearly 6km apart through the middle of loads of local traffic.

This is almost like me claiming that DART+ South West serves Tallaght and will take pressure off the Red Line.

In fact the S8 is actually linking Sandyford to Dún Laoghaire and doesn’t involve a variant of the old 114 bus. That should tell you how well connected they are.

Just checked, 3.3km as the crow flies. So yeah, still closer than I realised.

4.5km or a 58 minute walk according to Google Maps. Not at all close in public transport planning terms. No one is going to walk 58 minutes to get a DART into town!

There is just 2km between Park West train station (future DART+) and Red cow Luas stop, 3.8km to Belgrade Luas stop and 5km to Tallaght. Hell it is “just” 8km between Tallaght and Dundrum!

These sort of distances are meaningless in public transport terms. The rule of thumb is the catchment area for a bus stop is 400 - 500 meters, while rail stations more like 1km.

Again I really don’t like the way some are making this some sort of stupid competition between two different corridors!

Yes, and it proves your points, I'm thinking from years of driving on n11, I never really considered that they were physically that close. Anyway, I'm off topic and dragging it further, apologies.

Having lived in the Sandyford area, it would take a fairly brave person to walk from Sanyford Luas, all the way up Leopardstown Rd, cross the N11, down Newtownpark Ave., and into the village. You're crossing like 3 QBCs on that journey. May aswell say "sure why don't people in Tallaght walk to Park West", it's not sensible at all, nor is it that pleasant of a cycle given the terrain. I have done it a couple of times.

In terms of easy Luas's to build, I'd struggle to find one thats cheaper than the N11, with the added bonus that culling the bus routes on that corridor likely adds several hundred drivers back into circulation onto other QBCs making the capacity far more robust than it is currently.

with the added bonus that culling the bus routes on that corridor likely adds several hundred drivers back into circulation onto other QBCs making the capacity far more robust than it is currently.

I believe this is a very important point that is growing to drive a great deal of our public transport upgrades over the next decade or more.

We are all aware that there is a shortage of drivers, but it is going to get worse not better. Europe wide they are predicting a shortage of bus and truck drivers of 2 million by 2026!

Many Northern European cities realised the issue ahead of us and have already started taking action. Copenhagen built their Metro as driverless and now they are also upgrading their DART service (called S-Bahn) from driver operated to driverless.

A single Luas carries the same number of passengers as 5 regular double deckers. So you need only 1/5th the number of drivers for the same capacity.

I suspect we will see most of the core BusConnects corridors converted to Luas over the next decades. Just so they can keep up with the growing passenger demand without requiring too many drivers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would suspect that a Luas conversion of a prime bus route would double the total number of passengers because of the speed and reliability of the service - particularly off peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What’s the practice elsewhere regards say the SW line where the population density might not make a great case for a metro, there are plenty of areas that might be outside of the practical distance from a stop for using it but would still be better off if say a small regular shuttle was serving it. I’m thinking of place like mount prospect? that are a bit up the mountains but not far from the main road albeit might be too much of a stroll down and particularly back from the stop.

not sure of the name of the estates but there are a good few south of the suggested line near Rathfarnham/knocklyon/Firhouse and I’m sure some north of it would be better doing the short hop to a metro than battling through traffic on the bus.

do other well run places do much of this or is it not worth the hassle?

Yep, putting some rough numbers on it:

• Luas every 6 minutes, 4,000 PPHPD
    • Double decker bus every 3 minutes gives you (generously) 1,700 PPHPD

PPHPD - Passengers per hour per direction.

That is 2.4 times more passengers with half the number of drivers (10 v 20 per hour).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Yes,but what I am saying is that the demand would double - because Luas provides a better, more reliable, and likely quicker service.

And probably more comfortable for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

genuine question - how many bus routes were cancelled as a result of the Red and Green line opening?

I agree, a lot of our Bus routes are running v close/beyond capacity at rush hour. We really shouldn't be normalising folk standing for long periods on the bus during their commute into town, and this is largely a capacity issue. For me personally for where I am living, the 14/15 are my main artery into town, however at peak they are likely half of the frequency that is needed on that corridor. That is something that simply never will be met given the current bus situation, especially given the delay surrounding upgrading that spine with BusConnects.

If we had a Luas line on say the N11, It would largely make the E spine redundant, depending on where the Luas terminated, freeing up 15 drivers *every hour* which are needed to be leaving their terminuses to make sure it runs at capacity, given that it would largely be duplicating the Luas + Metrolink.

There are similarly extremely wide roads which are ripe for Luasanna that are ripe for conversion and could be done relatively cheaply. The issue with the south west is there isn't really many corridors like that that won't be completely removing cars from the road entirely.

In this hypothetical n11 route, what is the proposed routing? Greenline north section deviates along the canal, then down Morehampton rd, through Donnybrook, along n11 and then Brewery rd back to Sandyford and southern Greenline?

Or is it envisaged to cut through to ucd from Ranelagh/clonskeagh road and then onto n11.

Could instead of turning up towards Charlemont, continue down Adelaide Rd to Leeson St and turn down into Donnybrook. From there it could terminate at UCD or, more radically maybe, follow the old alignment of what would've been the Eastern Bypass through south of UCD and link in with Sandyford.

It could also continue down into Dun Laoghaire or Bray, there are a lot of denser communities down there. Benefit of how wide the N11 is is you have those options to link in these communities and (relatively) cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭citizen6

Rather than reducing the number of Luas that run to Ranelagh/Beechwood, you could avoid northern bit of Green Line completely and run from SSG East (Metro connection) down Leeson St and out Morehampton Road.

I don’t have an answer to that, my memory is that no bus driver jobs were lost, it just allowed them to increase capacity on other routes in the city.

But I’d like to offer some shocking stats on this.

Dublin City bus fleet is about 1,200 vehicles.

Amsterdam’s city bus fleet is just 160 vehicles!! Yes just 160, no I’m not missing a zero there!

Roughly same size city and population, the difference is Amsterdam has 19 tram lines and 5 metro lines (really 3 that branch), which take up the bulk of public transport.

Berlin’s City bus fleet is 1,550, not much more than Dublin, while having 4 times bigger population. Again the difference is Berlin has 22 tram lines and 9 U-Bahn/Metro lines.

Dublin is pretty uniquely dependent on buses for a Northern European city.

Donnybrook is an issue. It becomes very narrow with a lot of “local” traffic as well as traffic crossing over to Ballsbridge or Ranelagh at various points.

Leeson Street bridge is also a big issue.

Bus Connects won’t solve these issues either.

Some element underground there would be helpful, although add to cost and take away some of the savings of the main N11 corridor.

It’s one of the reasons why the “N11 bus corridor is amazing” is a bit exaggerated. It jams up further out of the city centre than some other routes.

I’m not sure how many but the 48/48A was cut.

BAC estimated they lost 6 million passengers but I suspect it was more in real terms as the population was exploding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

In terms of the Greenhills route to tallaght there are a lot of old warehouses that are becoming obsolete, nearer to Tallaght itself there are old buildings being converted to apartments. With a bit of forward thinking and integrated planning this could form the basis of a SW route

Advertisement