Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink - future routes for next Metrolink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Marley putting green? The putting green in the middle of a public park? Thats a push.

But they aren’t in a dense urban setting, the talk here is to use them to make a dense urban setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭spillit67

That’s different to the putting green. It seems to get very little use very short and Astro greens. Think it’s a push to put it in with proper courses just to make the list look longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Consonata

I don't really know what you would call this other than "dense urban" there's no room for any development around here, and the golf courses aren't exactly an example of diverse wildlife. Nor can you access the green areas without paying a pretty hefty membership fee. Given that it seems like it would be better as housing interspersed with actual diverse accessible parkland

• Advertisement

Nope.

What is a push is ignoring that the Grange and Castle don’t just have 18 course golf clubs. The Grange has 24 and the Castle 6 extra Par 3 length holes. And that just off the M50 you have Stackstown, Rathfarnham etc.

It is also a push to claim that manufactured parkland courses are good for wildlife.

Both Foxrock and Kllliney both manage perfectly well with 9 hole clubs.

I play in Woodbrook where we have a leasehold agreement the envy of many and managed to swindle extra holes out of the recent land swaps. That’s more golf holes right beside a brand new DART station.

I’d say there’s very few countries that allow the number of golf courses we have so close to the city.

In terms of the south west, if one of them has to be “sacrificed” to help build a Metrolink and create a new urban area then it’s a cost the city can very much bear. Dún Laoghaire moved courses and we got good dense housing in its place.

Suburban semis and detached houses mostly with good size gardens are hardly dense urban. That area is certainly not dense urban

there is also a luas stop right in the middle of the picture

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Green space is very important in a city, however I feel all such green space in a city should be publicly owned and broadly open to the public for use as parkland to walk in, picnic in or use shared playing facilities.

A private golf course is of feck all use to the majority in the city, including the majority of people who live in these areas. They might as well not exist as most people can’t make use of them like you would a park.

They also have little environmental benefit, with the heavy use of pesticides, etc. By comparison a public park full of trees and increasingly areas left to grow wild, with wild meadows, etc. have much more environmental benefit.

We seem to have a bit of an obsession in Ireland with walling off and limiting access to parks and greenery. The city is littered with private parks and gated grounds not accessible to the public.

And don’t get me started at the idiots in the OPW who close the Botanic Gardens at 5:30 even in summer, just as people get off work and could perhaps do with a nice walk!

Largely a function of flawed development plans that not only prioritised these kinds of houses, but left little room for public transit, let alone roads. We cannot ignore their proximity to the city though.

If I was the land czar and coming up with routes here, I’d put the Metrolink via Donnybrook, the N11 and UCD before a Green Line tie in at Milltown. I’d CPO 4 holes from Milltown and they can be left with a perfectly pleasant 14 hole course (golf should move that way anyway). I’d upgrade the Green Line south then to Metrolink standard to Sanydord.

I’d make the Green Line then go west from Milltown towards Rathfarnham. I’d CPO well over half of Castle Golf Club for Luas works and build an urban area around it ultimately that can be sold off to private interests to fund the thing. You could go south towards Marley and/or west towards Knocklyon.

I’d then concentrate on a Metro a south west within the Dodder that can be supported by dense populations out Tallaght direction.

To be honest, I would be very curious on some of the leases that golf clubs have and their ties to religious orders etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A luas stop right beside the golf club. Sounds like the perfect place to insert some dense urban development frankly.

Golf courses serve no greater societal purpose. The number in close proximity inside the M50 on the southside is insanity. I strongly suspect they are a net negative environmentally on top.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Golf clubs are wildlife deserts. Monoculture non native grass maintained with pesticides.

Golf definitely serves an important purpose in Ireland Inc’s IP.

The number of courses (and the size of them) are clearly out of whack with reality. I concentrate on the South West because that’s an area that desperately needs to density and get some hooks of light or heavy rail is to be a thing.

Tbh the worse thing here is if you have somewhere like the Castle selling off a bit of their lands for housing.

These are huge sites with strategic value for the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I suppose killininy road, ballyboden way direction isn’t densified enough for you to justify a luas or metro out that direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So much arguing over nothing. Look the state has never over invested in rail and if it did it wouldn't be the end of the world either. The state won't collapse if someone can get a seat on their commute for a change and ultimately tallaght needs a direct metro to the city centre. In an ideal world I'd like at least 3 metros in Dublin: Swords-Sandyford, Tallaght-Coolock and Lucan-Ringsend.

You can argue about density all day but there's no way that all three of those lines wouldn't be completely rimmed 10 years after opening in a city starved of infrastructure investment for a century.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Greyian

The issue isn't just the density in an area, but also the density along the entire route.

I live quite near Ballyboden Way, so a Luas or Metro would be ideal for me. I remember a leaflet coming around from Francis Noel Duffy a few years ago, with "plans" for a Metro which would have a stop under the roundabout at Scholarstown Road/Templeroan Road/Ballyboden Way. That would be absolutely ideal for me, less than a 10 minute walk to a Metro station...but it's completely impractical.

What route would a Metro from that roundabout take?

It could either go up through Knocklyon and Firhouse to get to Tallaght, and then run from Tallaght into town (so that way it would link up some relatively dense residential areas), or it could go more directly via Rathfarnham, Terenure, Harold's Cross.

If you go on a big swing to Tallaght, it would make the journey slower (by virtue of the distance). How long would that journey take? It probably wouldn't be dissimilar to existing bus services, which could surely be improved with far cheaper changes. If you go more directly, you're talking about primarily servicing low density residential areas. How many dense apartment schemes are there in the vicinity of Rathfarnham Village or Terenure Village to warrant spending billions of Euro building a Metro line?

While we have individual pockets of relatively dense residential development in Dublin SW, there isn't a line or path of sufficiently dense development. While the area around Ballyboden Way might warrant a Luas/Metro (particularly if the developments at Augustine's and Stocking Lane (planning overturned) were to go ahead), there isn't a path from the city centre to that area which makes any economic sense.

So metro SW would imo would start in tallaght, then on to

old bawn

cross the dodder onto killinniny road

knocklyon- scholarstown rd

ballyboden way

ballyboden road

glenbrook

rathfarnham castle

terenure village

rathgar

Harold’s cross

st Patrick’s cathedral

then head towards o connell street and out towards the NE.

Your point regarding densification depends on how you look at things- everyone should have access to quality PT.

This corridor has some of the slowest bus routes in Dublin- there’s no space for luas either, hence a metro is required.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This corridor has some of the slowest bus routes in Dublin- there’s no space for luas either, hence a metro is required.

Well there is space if we just bite the bullet and do what most other European cities do, which is remove the cars and give the space to Luas.

It does feel like we are slowly heading in the direction, so that remains an option too.

Your point regarding densification depends on how you look at things- everyone should have access to quality PT.

Which is a lovely sentiment and all, but quite a lot of consideration has to go into the best way to spend 10B€. If bus gates and one-way systems can provide enough bus capacity for the population, or space for a Luas, at a fraction of the price it would be hard to justify a metro.

No absolutely I agree- it’s just I honestly can’t see bus connects addressing the issue and there’s just no space for a LUAS on large parts of the route I’ve highlighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I admire your ambition, given that the capacity of a Green Line tram is 408 passengers, that's approximately 6 double deck buses per tram.

The peak frequency of the Green Line is already every 4 mins, so at peak times (07:30-09:30) that requires 90 buses an hour to replace the trams, so you're looking at probably 180 buses to keep the capacity alive? That's a lot more than a bus every 3 minutes.

Where are you going to find those buses and more importantly the drivers to do this, considering the problems that we have implementing BusConnects due to driver shortages?

I think that this is rather harder than you are giving credit to it.

I am not saying it can't be done, but let's be realistic about what is involved.

Indeed they are, but mostly at weekends when numbers are down, and certainly not for months on end.

Again, this is rather more complicated than the TfL style operation. You are talking months here with an already congested road alternative.

It would be one hell of an operation.

I've certainly been on them on weekdays in London! Of course they normally try and keep it to weekends, but some times the works are just too major like this.

BTW Perhaps rather then using regular double decker buses, they could use 25m articulated buses. 2 such buses would almost cover one Luas tram.

Also you could limit the numbers actually using these bus replacement services, by only closing the stations in between Charlemont and Sandyford, but continuing to run the Luas non stop between those sections as the stations in between are upgraded to high floor. That would mean folks from Sandford south would still take the Luas to town as usual and the bus replacement is only picking up lesser numbers from the in between stations.

Of course it depends on how significant the upgrade works in between are.

Again, there haven't been LU closures for months on end - a week or two perhaps generally during school holidays. Most of London have alternative rail lines that the buses operate to/from - we don't have that luxury in this case.

I still think you're being very ambitious.

I don't see the original closure plan being modified significantly - the same work would have to happen from south of Beechwood, assuming that's where the portal would be, and that will require a complete line closure for 9 months between Sandyford and the tunnel portal. That's not straightforward no matter how anyone tries to paint it, in an area where congestion is as dreadful as it is.

I'm not saying that it cannot be done, but let's not kid ourselves. The disruption would be massive.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Dublin Commuter Coalition put this excellent graphic online back in 2019 that explains the closures required.

Move everything a stop further south in terms of impact (assuming portal is south of Beechwood).

Just an example of months long closure on the London Underground:

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2021-11-05/london-underground-key-parts-of-northern-line-to-close-for-four-months

Of course it would probably be better to build the UCD Luas line first as that could take the pressure off during the closures.

Fair point, but we are comparing apples with oranges here. That was a closure in central London where there were a multitude of high capacity alternative rail routes in that particular case along with buses.

There isn’t one with the Green Line.

Rail replacement bus services are common, often for months at a time, on mainline train services. Now the frequency is nowhere near as high, but the heavy rail is also much higher capacity.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter whether it's common elsewhere or not. The question is just whether it needs to be done, and all projections suggest eventually it will have to be.

Yes, that is why I'd suggest build the Charlemont - UCD - Sandyford parallel line first. It would take the pressure off, folks from Sandyford and south of there could use this line while the works are under way on the Green line.

Your replacement bus service is then handling only the stations between Charlemont and Sandyford.

• Advertisement

It's not on the same scale to be honest as would be required in this situation.

Advertisement