Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar, Martin & Ryan walking off a stage together to avoid a journalist. Is this acceptable?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Gavan Reilly says..........😩

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's pretty clear he was using own microphone. Has any journalist present disputed this fact? Has Ben said it's untrue? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

13 pages of 'discussion' from Gript supporters trying to attack Varadker, Ryan and Martin for doing something that never actually happened.

Is Gript officially a Disinformation channel now?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I don't think so. There are a couple of things like when Leo Varadkar said that Ireland might have to pay more money to not take in anymore migrants, Hardly nobody in the media brought it up to his face that Ireland has an opt-out in that area due to the Lisbon Treaty, so they're no reason to be wasting money when he could've just said no. He doesn't want to because they want to look good in the eyes of the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I hardly ever hear any hard questions and then when they go off on a word salad, basically rambling on about anything apart from answering the question. I've no doubt in my mind that some in main stream media are afraid to rock the boat. I think if they answered the question instead of walking off it would've looked better, but not, it seems like they've something to hide. If you're a government minister then you should be open to questions from every media, these people make laws that affect people's lives on the daily, and they should be pulled up and questioned, If they don't like the questioning then maybe politics isn't for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Look at you coming on thinking you are having a pop at Gript when you don't even know who you're talking about.

Was any question taken from Ben Scallan at that press conference?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's clearly voiced over, and poorly at that, they don't even notice him. My kids friends mock up more realistic fake videos on YouTube at the age of 10.

• Advertisement

Varadkar clearly heard Ben Scallan. The room is tiny ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I know perfectly well who I'm talking about pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

In Varadkar's own words.

He heard the question, he just didn't want to answer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

Varadkar says what's been said countless times on this thread.

The press conference was over. Not everyone gets to ask their question, and shouting questions as the press event is over doesn't mean you're entitled to a response.

This happens in every press conference in the world.

Gript is trying to make a conspiracy out of absolutely nothing whatsoever, and people like yourself are peddling it.

You'd swear Leo walked out of an interview after being asked about being caught on tape taking a bribe.

It's a completely nothing-burger of an incident and Gript is making themselves look pathetic in my opinion.

The recording that he dubs over makes it sound louder than he was and is clearly cut in and out. Leo, doesn't even notice/flinch. Neither do the other two, Eamon is having a quick word with someone else. I mean ask a child, this is YouTube shorts basics to make a mountain out of a mole hill. He might have heard him had no one else been talking (his video actually mutes out the other noise in the room which further highlights the poor editing, even a technical imbecile like myself could have merged it in better), and if he had spoken louder, but he didn't. It's actually a bit sad that he obviously planned this and failed to even do a half decent job. It wasn't even a difficult question.

The only conspiracy theories I see being peddled here are the totally unproven allegations that Gript doctored the clip.

It's funny how disinformation becomes acceptable to some when it supports their own view point.

The funniest part is where he confirms another journalist asked a question while the presser was still ongoing, but felt he was unfairly treated for asking a question when it was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The clip that Gript uploaded was not from the official TV feed but from their own camera and own microphone.

On the TV feed, you couldn't even hear the Gript fella's voice or make out a word that was said.....just some incoherent mumbling at the end as the leaders walked off.

Except that's not what happened.

Varadkar acknowledged that Scallan had spoken, but said that question time was over and that he wasn't going to answer every question.

• Advertisement

If Grift said it was raining I'd leave the umbrella at home.

I see you have been doing a bit of editing on the post I called you out on and you still couldn't get his name right.

Pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It’s not the fault of the politicians but they will favour journalists who will give them an easy ride. When Vincent Browne was hosting the Tonight Show, Enda Kenny when he was Taoiseach never once appeared on the show as he knew Vincent would ask the questions he did not want to face.

You are right in saying that proper journalism should strive for balance, sadly in the MSM you won’t always get that. I have stated on here before on various threads that I am no fan of the current government but I will acknowledge when they do something good.

Regarding editors, we need more editors built in the mould of Ben Bradlee who worked for the Washington Post. Under his editorial management, The Pentagon Papers and The Watergate stories were published. Two of the biggest stories in American and possibly World journalism. Sadly a lot of editors prefer the status quo that we have at the moment. However, I do love it when they get egg in their face and this brings to mind Philip Ryan’s story about the SF database. Phillip was the co writer of Leo A Very Modern Taoiseach, so you have an idea where his political allegiances lie, and the story backfired big time as other parties including FF and FG admitted that they had databases too.

I think Michael McDowell and Brenda Power were very measured and both being barristers have a firmer grasp on the constitution than some of our government ministers do.

I don’t think Gript must be allowed a question and that should also apply to all media outlets. If a minister has limited time to answer questions at a press conference or event then let the attending journalists know and maybe state we only have time for X amount of questions. 

I don’t think it was right that Ben was ignored and if Leo acknowledged his question and said I am running late that would have been fine because Leo would be seen as being courteous.

We need more camaraderie amongst journalists at press conferences. I remember during Covid, Boris tried to ban certain journalists and media organisations from attending the daily Covid briefings. All the journalists who were allowed in threatened to leave if Boris did not rescind the bans. We need journalists here to stand up for the rights of all journalists getting the chance to answer questions.

Bringing back Questions and Answers would be great but not until the RTE situation is fixed as RTE don’t know yet what their future funding model will be.

The government is not a big fan of Social Media as it allows views that go against the government thinking to be shared openly. I am not talking about far right thinking but people who have openly condemned government policies with reasonable arguments to why they are doing this.

Leo recently said “The social media site X "has always been a bit of a sewer" and does not uphold its own guidelines”. This is not true, because X only went really bad when Musk took it over. If X has always been a bit of a sewer why is Leo and other government ministers on it? Surely if it’s a sewer you stay well clear of it.

Nice work Sherlock.

Its got nothing on the edit he did on the audio of that video, pal.

Yeah like we should take your word on it about it being edited.

First you thought his name was Gannon.

At the second attempt Scallon.

Maybe now you at least know it's Scallan.

Pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭moonage

Is there such a thing as an official TV feed of these press conferences?

If so, do you have a link to this or to any non-Gript source for the end of this particular press conference?

Yes, there is a government TV feed for all press conferences provided to all broadcasters if they wish to air it live.

I managed to find the press conference on my own recordings of the RTE News channel for that day for but I'm not sure there's any online link. Anyone watching the end of the press conference on TV wouldn't have been aware anything had happened : Martin stopped talking at his lectern and he and Varadkar then left, but you could only hear faint and indistinct voices in the room and couldn't make out a single word that was said (not even with headphones on). The Gript guy was speaking into his own handheld microphone, not the press conference one that was used during the briefing, therefore you couldn't even hear him on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In Varadkar's own words.

He heard the question, he just didn't want to answer it.

He said no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I’ve said it before, society is paying a major price for the decline of the media over the last 20 years. Who can blame journalists if they’re thinking of their own futures rather than holding people to account?

• Advertisement

There's no evidence this is not happening. Irish politics is arguably much less corrupt than it was in the past, with far fewer political scandals (bribery, cronyism, nepotism, links to terrorism etc).

The Gript crowd showing up at press conferences and lobbing carefully scripted but off topic hand grenades into the conversation solely for the benefit of their social media followers hardly rates as "journalism" at all.

Advertisement