Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"You think spending an extra billion will allow us to close our borders?"

I never said, again please read my posts more carefully to close our borders! If it takes a extra billion to control not close our borders vs billions upon billions on supporting AS and IP coming here then yes it makes more sense.

"Our sea border is roughly the same length as the US southern border. They spend 25 billion per year trying and failing to close theirs."

If you're comparing the US southern border with Ireland then you're missing a very obvious geological feature, we're a Island. The US is completely different with borders to Ireland.

"That's before we get to the cost of detaining, either here or abroad, law abiding people who for the most part are willing to work."

Willing to work, that's economical migrates your trying to interject here. We're not allowing our borders to be opened to people destorying their passports or IDs on arrival. If people want to work apply for Visa's and are approved that's no problem as I said many times.

"I really don't think, given an informed choice, this is what Irish people want when it comes to immigration. I suspect what people really want, first and foremost, is an end to the shocking waste of keeping people in private hotel rooms."

People arriving are being put in private hotel rooms because we're no accommodation left especially when people are arriving without a cent to their name. The Government is handing out these contracts to many businesses in the tune of billions. The Irish people want our borders controlled much better and more pro active then the complete mess our current government is standing over. Again Denmark, Ireland and Poland have a clause to refuse many arriving here but our government is completely ignoring it.

2.1 of the treaty

https://ichr.ie/irelands-legal-obligations-regarding-asylum-and-immigration/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

She was on with Pat Kenny during the week - He quizzed her about her/SDs policies. Covered all the main topics but immigration didn't get a look in and I'd say that was by design. She probably insisted that she wouldn't be talking about it on foot of her advisors telling her that their stance is toxic with the majority of the population (and PK in particular knows it's a crock...) - I think it's only a week ago she was waffling about the pre famine population on TWIP on RTE

Advisors: 'Listen Holly, stfa from the immigration, pre famine stuff yeah'

How a few days change things eh

Hi advisors *waves*

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

You're dead right, save more than you earn and you might, just might make it on to the bottom rung of that property ladder that is quickly being wound upwards.

What a rock of sense! Everyone just needs more time and to save more than they earn. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yet your link doesn't link to all our obligations.

The Geneva Convention was taken into domestic legislation in the International Protection Act 2015.

How do you suggest that the government break our own laws?

10% of immigrants to Ireland are EU citizens - they have an automatic right to be here.

They have a right to be here, indeed. But that right quickly and abruptly ends after 90 days.

Your right to stay in an EU, EEA country or Switzerland for up to 90 days could be cancelled if you become an unreasonable burden on the social assistance system of the member state. If you have recently moved to Ireland, have not been able to find work, and have no money to support yourself, the Irish state does not have to pay you social assistance.

About time these 'glorious' EU rules were implemented in the 'spirit' of the law. (Freedom of movement in the EU (citizensinformation.ie))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

I love these posts that try to pretend Ireland was some sort of Taliban failed state before the dot com boom. I had condoms as a schoolboy in the mid 80s, and that was down the country. Give it a rest for **** sake.

No

Not necessarily. The 3 month rule is in relation to job seekers. They cannot get benefits after the 3'months if they haven't found employment.

if an EU citizen is here and working, if they lose their employment, different rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

She did also say that the country is being mismanaged, but that these problems are fixable. You can't fail to build anywhere near enough houses for your population but then claim "Guess what, folks....immigrants are the reason there is enough available housing".

Ireland's obligations to immigration

https://ichr.ie/irelands-legal-obligations-regarding-asylum-and-immigration/

Read 2.1 of the treaty still stands.

2.1 Treaty of Amsterdam

In general, the law of the European Union applies to all 27 member states. However, occasionally member states negotiate certain opt-outs from legislation or treaties of the European Union, meaning they do not have to participate in certain policy areas regardless of what laws the EU may put in place across the EU. Currently, only three member states have such opt-outs: 

• Denmark(2)
    • Ireland(2)
    • Poland (1)

Ireland has an opt-out from EU legislation adopted in the area of freedom, security and justice. This allows Ireland to opt in or out of legislation and legislative initiatives on a case-by-case basis in these three specific areas.

The Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union at Articles 67-89 confirms that freedom, justice and security include the following policy areas:

• Asylum;
    • Rules concerning external borders;
    • Immigration policies and policies concerning third countries’ citizens;
    • Combating illicit drugs;
    • International fraud;
    • Judicial co-operation in civil matters;
    • Judicial co-operation in criminal matters;
    • Customs co-operation; and
    • Police co-operation for preventing and fighting terrorism, drugs trade etc.

What this means is that Ireland is not bound by EU law in the areas of immigration or asylum, but where the EU makes a legislative proposal in these areas, Ireland has three months to decide whether they wish to opt into discussions. If they do not opt-in, they are deemed to have opted-out, and discussions simply go ahead without them. Any legislation which is adopted then binds the other Member States – but not Ireland.

But but, Ireland is very different. We only get the best of the best.

England, France and Germany have their issues with immigrants (especially second and third generations) because of their colonial past. It's only right and proper that the economically deprived parts of England, France and Germany shoulder social upheaval because their great-great grandfathers fought the Zulus back in the day.

It's only just and fair that current English, German and French people pay their 'repatriations' in this fashion.

Then the argument will bend to 'well some Irish fought in the British forces so we should do the same too' and when that argument doesn't wash, shure there is the old 'well the Irish emigrated all over the world' rabbit to be pulled out of the hat.

• Advertisement

Same here. Down the country too. They'd have you believe Ireland was some sort of childish innocent land back in the day - these self appointed pontificators would think they are some sort of saviours rescuing Rural Ireland from Stockholm Syndrome. Little do these types realise though, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭combat14

and what does taking in an unlimited number of people when we have no accommodation look like ?

a disaster waiting to happen

Yep, well done. That's the EU regulations.

we are are also bound by domestic legislation, where the country brought the Geneva Convention into legislation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭tom23

It doesn’t affect them in any way. They are socially, financially protected against any effects. It’s ok to advocate taking unlimited refugees when you can build a house three times the average size of a 4 bed semi. When you are at the top everything below is a million miles down

They are in a golden circle of elitism. They are not effected by waiting lists for a doctor or are on waiting list for their kids to get into a school. And if they were a couple of calls to other golden circle pals would sort it out. They don’t care. Holly Cairns is simply for the birds. Which is why I hope her party and their partners Labour don’t get a lick of the votes they’ll think they will get. They can **** right off.

Well done you, very different to the norms. My friend was in a mother and baby home in the 90s.

Oh no, I read them all. Which is how I know the original link to a Wikipedia page is absolute rubbish.

If you have proof of something, link it, and point it out for posters, if you're trying to prove something.

Lay off the wine cheesecake, archive.org is a totally different site to wikipedia.org - different functions totally. One thing I really, really love about archive.org is that it snaps what was said and freezes it for time evermore. One of the best sites out there for catching hypocrites on the hop! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Government spending is completely OUT OF CONTROL.

Average government spending was 70bn between 2013 and 2019. Its now 110bn for 2024.

Roderic's department is costing 7.44bn in 2024: (This department cost 1.72bn in 2020)

So that's nearly 6bn extra spending in Roderic's department, the vast majority of which would be spending on International Protection applicants. Obviously there are large increase in other government departments as a direct result of the influx of IPA's (housing, health, social protection, etc) so there's alot more than 6bn being spent on immigration.

This money is somehow in the coffers at the moment due to extreme and unexpected rises in or corporate tax over the past 3 years:

It rose from 10.9bn in 2019 to 22.6bn in 2022. Wow! Thats great. This should have been treated like the 'windfall' that government claimed it was, but it has been baked into out current expenditure now through massive immigration funding, public sector pay raises, social welfare increases, housing commitments etc.

I don't want to get into an argument with idealistic daydreamers about our moral and legal obligations to take in everyone that arrives at out ports. And please don't confuse our legal immigrant workers who came here through visa etc. with IPA's/asylum seekers. They are contributing positively, both culturally and financially, and are very welcome.

I want people to have a pragmatic look at the figures above and on the link below and think about how they see this playing out in the coming years. At the moment government spending is being masked by huge corporate tax intake (the vast majority by just 3 companies - Pfizer, Apple and Microsoft ). Am I mental or is this going to level out at some point after the massive profits made during/post covid? CT is said to be notoriously volatile and hard to predict - so should we not have increased current expenditure to unsustainable levels on the back of a few good years.

All figures here, actually a really good government website - https://whereyourmoneygoes.gov.ie/en/2024/

PS to the idealistic daydreamers - Its in the best interest of every citizen and immigrant we have taken in that our country can balance its books. If we don't and severe austerity is imposed on us again, the country will vote hard right and I don't want that either. What that country would look like I don't know. I don't expect a meaningful engagement with any of you anyway unfortunately.

Not really though. Your anecdotal observation of a 'friend' is not the reality for the majority of Ireland's population in the 90s. Most, if not all of people in Mother and Baby Homes - especially in the 1990s - were sent there on consent from the family involved. Sling your hook with those families who took that decision.

• Advertisement

Could you provide a link to the Geneva Convention into legislation please. You've asked about our obligations to immigration in which I provided the link and details above, we still have the EU regulations in agreement as I said Denmark is using that too.

Most girls sent to mother and baby home were sent there with the consent of their families. Or do you believe that there was a state wide detention without trial for unmarried mothers?

No idea what this posts means, please post relevant posts that everyone can respond to

I already have, many times. And to you in particular. International Protection Act 2015.:

Most girls sent to mother and baby home were sent there with the consent of their families.

My point exactly.

Or do you believe that there was a state wide detention without trial for unmarried mothers?

No, there was never an Irish law that stated unmarried mothers must be sent to such a home. It was entirely on behest of the family involved at the time. I can understand the bitterness and resentment of those unfortunate victims involved at the time - but trying to apportionate blame onto the government of the day is well wide of the mark, and frankly does little to further the cause for justification.

When people failing asylum under the IPA 2015 are asked to self-deport aren't self-deporting. Complete shambles from our government!

You know what the response to that is - "our current Govt is failing, we need a totally far-left-wing government who will repeal such laws let alone ignore them like the current centre-left-cabal"

How dare we even dream about deportation being effectively enforced let alone removal orders.

Post edited by InAtFullBack on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah a TD preaching to the comverted who's party has about 6 seats says problems in health and housing which successive governments have failed to find a solution to will all be fixed by the SDs.

She was elected by a single vote last time and her seat is far from safe so might not be even there to do anything next time round.

Also worth remembering they were invited to be part of this government but refused to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

McEntee has confidently said there are “no facts” to suggest an increase in migration has led to increased crime rates. There's a “perception” that “people are coming in with criminal backgrounds that we don't know about”...“There are simply no facts to back that up,” she said. “None whatsoever. Is she sure, again see post #14132 also the crimes committed by asylum seekers staying in DP centers and the examples of asylum seekers convicted of crime in 2023 #13974

“In fact, if you look at if you look at statistics, it is under-representative in terms of the population of people who are not born in this country. 

Wait until she sees the figures from the Irish Prison Service from 2007 to 2022.  21.6% of those imprisoned in 2022 were foreign nationals, data shows

Examples from the papers this year

• Non-EU national Man jailed for six years who raped sleeping woman at asylum centre June 2022
    • Indian man sexually assaults a young woman at a Marlay Park concert while on a month-long visit to Ireland receives a fully suspended sentence.
    • South African who flew to Ireland to meet 13 year-old girl, given a suspended sentence (Judge Nolan)
    • Man 'acting erratically' near Limerick school arrested with assistance of Armed Support Unit. Gardai charged Chinonso Igboanusi (28) with possession of knife and&assault of female in Limerick 
    • Nigerian ATU student Marian Balogun (26) recruited as money mule up in Letterkenny Circuit Court on money laundering charges 
    • Mohamed Axmed (20) sentenced to 3 years for his robbery of UK tourists in Temple Bar. He has numerous previous convictions
    • ‘Skerries florist’ fraudulently claimed a total of €17,000 in PUP payments & claimed €10,000+ in jobseekers he was not entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The birth rate was very steady up to the start of the 80s and then it takes a roller coaster dive and never recovers.

It's some coincidence if it's not because of the legalisation of birth control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LongfordMB

Yep. We are essentially sending bumper corporation tax receipts straight out the door on a foolish mission to house third world fake asylum scammmers who dump their IDs mid flight. Money that could easily be used to get rid of USC, massively improve our infrastructure and generally improve our standard of living. Also the waste must be collosal. Think of how many rte style scandals are there to be found among the 6bn going to NGOs!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement