Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s a wait and see - IF Bailey and Sophie are videoed together talking, it’s essentially a game changer for me given his absolute denial of having never met her- whilst some of the accusations can certainly be rebuffed, Bailey strongly denied this aspect of having met Sophie ever -a video of them conversing would completely swing me towards beyond reasonable doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zola1000

Yes that is very accurate to say and it would be massive leap forward. I do feel putting everything else aside on IB , he has been hesitant more that anything on the knowing her element. Each of the responses over the years have been noticeable different I felt...it's only real grey area I could see with him..like he definitely said I seen here through the window ...but other times we're like I seen her from a far at her house , or I was aware of her...and had seen her but never actually met ..but knew of her. You just feel by them deviations he knew her. Truly the tapewor

**Truly the tapes could be last vital piece of evidence left

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Each of those responses essentially say the same thing. If they were all identical or too similar it would be far more suspicious and indicative of a carefully rehearsed and remembered answer. That they vary in detail is more indicative of them being true.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,499 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

• Advertisement

I know your right I guess that's only thing I was going on was hesitancy when he said them this way they are all same though and proves nothing.

i guess Individual “perceptions” of Bailey is nearly the only thing people have to hang their hat on.

The total lack of concrete evidence - DNA, reliable eye witnesses on the night- it leaves a void that people feel they have to fill themselves.

And they fill that with any piece of “evidence” they can. I think it’s a natural thing to do- I guess people want closure so they try and rationalise what information they have and draw their own conclusions.

I don’t think it’s necessarily right or wrong- it’s probably just the human condition -none of us have the full list of evidence in front of us so all this discussion is a mere guessing game anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

Yes, I've noticed the same thing.

Bailey is such an obnoxious creep that people subconsciously want it to be him. Understandable to a degree, its very difficult to have any sympathy for such an unpleasant character.

This is without a doubt how I am at moment. One of best posts ive read here. But it's so true. I wouldn't watch any more netflix or Jim Sheridan , I'd like be going through then tapes of that festival in cape clear...just to see if any truth in if they met or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭TokTik

Pretty damning of the keystone cops we have in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think part of it is that the public have become conditioned by AGS and certain elements of the media into believing that Bailey did it. Now, maybe he did and maybe he didn't but currently - and despite what others claim - there is absolutely no evidence to indicate that he committed this murder. There are a few circumstantial bits that two DPPs have said (in an unusual critique of the Garda case) that are legally not worth a sh1te!

The atrocity of an investigation led by a combination of incompetence and corruption all leaked to a willing media has us all knowing so much about Bailey but ask a random person on the street to name one other potential suspect and they won't be able to.

If Bailey did it, I'd like to see him somehow resurrected and then hanged, drawn and quartered. However, as it stands, he is no more guilty that you or I!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I imagine if video existed it would have already been found. It's not like this case hasn't garnered much attention.

But lets say for argument sake he is seeing on some video talking to Sophie at a festival where apparently everyone talked to everyone.

I severely doubt that would be the tipping point for the DPP to initiate a prosecution. But but but he lied. He also spent half his waking day inebriated.

Also witnesses years after an event claiming they definitely saw them talking to someone at an event are beyond unreliable. A brief conversation with someone would be so inconsequential that the person engaged in the conversation would struggle to remember it, let alone a third party who saw it. Think about it.

What you say from a court of law or legal perspective is certainly true in my view.its definitely no smoking gun.

But if a video emerges with Bailey in conversation with Sophie, from a public opinion perspective, I think that will sway many people who may be currently expressing a lot of doubt around Baileys involvement - at the very least they may be less vocal in expressing any type of support for him .

It’s still just an opinion nothing more- but what’s left to have ? It’s not like Gardaí will uncover anything of significance that will move this case toward beyond reasonable doubt.

Bailey was adamant on never meeting Sophie - not even a brief introduction by a neighbour was admitted to.

In fairness if you did converse with a foreign woman for any degree of time at a festival beyond a short exchange of pleasantries , just a few years ago at a festival, you may not instantly recall it, but if the resultant circumstances such as these emerged, I think you would remember eventually -

I totally agree like at this stage it will count for little for sway the DPP in any way. He could have been totally unable recall such eventful if I'm sure there is considerable amount of people at festival and similarly for anyone to remember events now is beyond them.

Ultimately we have a case that needs to be started at beginning. Like is there any timeline for any remaining DNA evidence being reviewed...or I guess that's confidential to cold case review team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭TokTik

The human brain and memory doesn’t work like that. It’s not some hard drive that you can just go into an old file and pull up something from years ago. If you were at a festival and chatting to multiple people, locals, tourists, vendors etc and something happened to one of them, would you be able to recall a brief chat with them??

Would you understand and be ok with being harassed and called a murderer because of your lack of recollection? Especially if you’d had a good few drinks taken at the festival? And were a heavy drinker in the meantime?

It’s desperate straw clutching by an organisation that’s spent the past few years conditioning people to believe that it was Bailey, because if it wasn’t there’ll be hell to pay. Like a gambler putting his rent money on the last race because he KNOWS this horse will win. And when it doesn’t it’s not his fault for not checking the form etc.

Im clutching at absolute straws as regards how this investigation is ever going to come to conclusion given the process of focussing on one individual and now the likelihood of getting information on other suspects is seriously diminished.

In fairness if you did converse with a foreign woman for any degree of time at a festival beyond a short exchange of pleasantries , just a few years ago at a festival, you may not instantly recall it, but if the resultant circumstances such as these emerged, I think you would remember eventually -

I don't think her been foreign would be an outlier given the make up of the area.

The circumstances could also create a false memory especially for a 3rd party.

And especially if the Muldoon guards got to that third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Even after he's dead Bailey apologists live on. Why are you all so keen to defend this meeting with Sophie?

Well I mean..what do we have on it..tapes being reviewed so we will have a meeting at festivals with loads of people lots of nationalities and its nearly 30 years ago...what will it give us..no knowledge of what they are saying or even if we see brief encounters ...it could all be random people drinking etc..so not much to defend IB on. If he has known her and they have sufficient length of footage then it's certainly a decent piece of circumstantial evidence and can change elements of case up to now but what can be actually done with it...most of posts here are saying this earlier...I'm open to idea its massive evidence if they are seen be more than short conversation and maybe seen numerous times or if there was any embrace..then this is vital evidence ...but we are as before..unless we have evidence to convict IB then other suspects should be reviewed.

• Advertisement

Fair enough in terms of the nationality- west cork was famous for its variety of nationalities- I still think though that if he had nothing to do with the murder, Bailey would have gone over in his mind whom he had met in the locality through the years.

In the early days before arrest, he may well have said that he knew her vaguely or met her once but he didn’t. He was adamant he never knew her- that’s a risky thing to say if you were seeing publicly with her- on the balance of probability I’d say he was telling the truth.

Leaving aside the disputed 90% certain supposed introduction, I honestly don’t believe he did meet her- be it a diary entry by Sophie, or a mention in a phone call to a friend (and I don’t mean that story that materialised nearly 20 years after the murder) there’s nothing really of note to say he knew her- it’s a small locality overall - some credible witness would have come forward at the time had they met publicly I believe.

You’re then faced with the prospect that Bailey went to a house he hadn’t been to before to meet a woman he never met before at an unearthly hour of the night, with the sole purpose of killing her ir at least forcing himself on her and killing her when she rebuked him, just like that serial murderer I posted about a few pages back.

It’s a big ask here, no less in a court of law, to believe that story.

Yes, but is this in statement at Garda HQ or in DPP file? From what I'm aware I haven't seen this in DPP file ..so yes it's possible he did meet and he mentioned this to documentary makers most likely keeping story going but do we know is this just random meeting shortly conversation and that's it ..I'm sure it won't count for much of outcome of thr cold case review...unless its more significant...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Damned no matter what happened really. If he really didn't remember meeting her, which he said that publicly, and then remembered that he had, those wanting to lynch him would have had a field day. They seem quite happy to hand him over to the french with no evidence, I wouldn't be in a rush to change my story. Some timing for all this to come out after he dies.

You’re then faced with the prospect that Bailey went to a house he hadn’t been to before to meet a woman he never met before at an unearthly hour of the night, with the sole purpose of killing her ir at least forcing himself on her and killing her when she rebuked him, just like that serial murderer I posted about a few pages back.

Yeah it's implausible at best.

It's why the Ghoul Hacks pivoted to he stole a bottle of wine off her and beat her to death because she asked for it back.

It's marginally less ludicrous than aliens killed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

I think the problem with IB was he loved the limelight, wouldn’t be surprised if he admitted this to someone when his spotlight was fading, it was his life’s work to milk the whole thing for all the exposure he could get from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Shure didn't he boast to Anne Cahalane, the actress that played Sophie in the RTE recunstruction that he met her on her walk at  Three Castles Head. She remembered that 15 years later.

Basically, we're back to everyone including gardaí, forensic experts, neighbours, anyone who testified against Bailey, Jim Sheridan's producer are all wrong or lying. When Bailey admits killing Sophie or meeting her he's not to be believed either. We're only to believe Bailey, the man with a history of violence and weird sexual fantasies when he says he was attacked by a turkey and a Christmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The only reference I can find of him saying he said he met her at the festival was a mirror article saying "it is believed"... No quote from a producer etc.

He had little prospects other than to milk it in fairness - stuck on 2/3rds of this island for the rest of his life- absolutely no employment prospects - legal case after legal case- the only way he could get a few bob was to charge for selfies or interviews or whatever else he did - have to say if I was in similar position I’d probably do similar - you’ve lost all dignity in the public eye so what else do you have left to lose

• Advertisement

Indeed- it’s extraordinary considering a number of files went to the DPP in that time and Bailey had denied meeting her to everyone who cared to ask that question but yet this “evidence” wasn’t recorded until years later ; what this actress believes Bailey said she believes and that’s fine, I’ve no issue with that and no doubt she’s 100% truthful ; but personally, in producing such evidence all those years later (I think it was 2012 by the time she made a statement to Gardai) it’s hard for me personally, especially as a juror if this was a criminal case, to take that evidence as credible, given the passage of time -recollections may vary as they say.

Advertisement