Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Vodafone looking to sign me again early

“Your minimum period for your Vodafone at Home services ends on 11/04/2024

If you are happy with your current plan, no further action is required but please note any promotional discounts may expire on 11/04/2024

The best tariff available to you is Vodafone Classic Broadband at €40 per month. To move to this plan now, please call 1907 or visit your local Vodafone store.” 

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

You have a 14 day cooling off period so just tell them to cancel it and see what they offer you.

Got the "we're sorry to see you go" text from Virgin.

They have offered me half price for 12 months so guessing that's €35 a month for 500mb as was going up to €70.

Funny they say "best we can do is €51 a year" when you talking to them and then when you cancel you get a text a week later with a cheaper offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,308 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It took a lot of work on the phone, but I got Virgin media 500mb down to 35 euro for 9 months, then 70 euro for 3 months. I don't want hassle of switching and find them reliable so took it (been 4ish years of same stupid bloody dance with them!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭jos22

I got that message start of Jan, with contracted ending mid feb. When I messaged them on facebook asking about deals. I was told that I still had 2 more bills at 30euro so I be better off waiting till the contract ended, before getting back in contact, they would then apply the 10 euro off for 6 months deal to the account and adjust the first out of contract bill if necessary to match the offer. once agreed they would arrange a call back within 2 days to read the Terms of the contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Contract not up for a while yet, but have been with most companies at this stage for FTTH, inc Eir, Sky, vodafone and Pure and Pure wins hands down. Good price for initial year, someone knowledgeable and understandable on the phone for tech and short waiting times and the least amount of hassle with buffering etc. Only issue is when the initial year is up it goes from 35 to 55 and in my own experience no budging on the price, so i inevitably try some other deal. Sky , good price, endless buffering, despite supposed better speeds, constant attempts to sell you something and long waiting times for support. Eir, I detest as a company, hanging up and letting on the call dropped was exposed as one of their tactics, got them for initial install about 5 yrs ago and not heard of any significant improvement since then. Vodafone, good at first, then combined their 2.4 & 5 g and were adamant it could not be split, really poor attitude on the phone and ended up splitting it myself as i have two devices that only run on 2.4g, they then said I was breaking the rules, so said fair enough see ye.

If Pure did their offer of 35 for all customers for FTTH and after initial offer ends they even just increased it slightly I would stick with them, just my experience and thats with 3 gamers int he house.

Is Pure max speed 100mb?

Nowhere to put in your eircode to check, instead you have to ring them or email them your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If you can get SIRO they have up to 1GB speeds.

Tap your Eircode in on switcher.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭honda boi

Just check on the eir/Vodafone or sky website.

Pretty sure pure telecom use the same infrastructure as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm with Imagine but learned by an Eir salesman that broadband is now in my area.

Offered me 55 a month for tv, apple tv, prime and "unlimited" broadband.

Are they really an awful company to sign up with?

How would I know if it would be FTTH or FTTC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭tiegan

FTTH - I had a call from a salesman too - never buy off them, you will get a better deal online - don't forget they work on commission!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 raymikemc

Eir have a solid network for Internet and home phone, can't speak for TV. But their billing is the worst I've ever seen and they had to have a separate excel spreadsheet for me compared to the systems billing. Had to call back every month for a while to bring it back down to where it should be. Saying that, I've been with them the last two years and intend to stay with them if they match Pure Telecom. If not, I'm all Pure Telecom. But only 1 year contract at a time this round to keep them honest

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭tiegan

Eir Gigabit fibre broadband is all FTTH according to their website

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume the TV service is only available on FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Am with Sky, 500gB, out of contract for months at €60 pm having gone up from €30 for the 12 month contract . They offered €50pm for same but I rejected and tried again today. Renewed today for €40pm for 12mths fyi if anyone in same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jimjangles

What does CPI plus 3% mean?

How much would Vodafone jack up the bill by 2 months after joining?

That deal is a lie then.

It's not 30 for 6 months and 40 for another 6 months.

It could be 30 for 1 month, 35 for 5 months and 45 for another 6 or it could be 30 for 1 month, 40 for 6 months and another 50 for another 6. This CPI bull gave phone companies a licence to screw the customer, lie to them and not tell them what they're going to charge them. It's false advertising by all the phone companies because they can jack the bloody price up any time they want. What's being done should be illegal. It's just so shady and crooked. I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭in2dark

I second that. I am 10 months with pure and I am sure they will not offer me anything better than the increased price after initial first year.

Thise 10 months, zero loss of connection, working 100% from home, 2 gamers, all possible streaming and zero issues.

I was with sky before and once or twice a month i had the loss of connection for 1 min or 2... Not going to eir as a principal, so im afraid i will have to either try virgin for a year or back to sky for a long year before going back to pure

I have my own mesh with 2 asus routers so im using the isp machine only as a modem.

Anyone have experiences with fibre to the cabinet with Pure?

If so how was it for you?

Did you run speed tests?

Did the speed reduce from your previous supplier?

I'm thinking of going with Pure but my connection is important to me as I often do work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭wassie

A few of the Telco's have introduced this over the last year or so. It not illegal and it will be in the T&Cs when you sign up to them. But its not necessarily obvious either in the advertisng.

I agree with your sentiment. But as a consumer we have a choice and my VF contract is up this month and I am looking only at plans that dont have the CPI+ increase in built into the contract.

Companies will try this on as long as customers pay up - thats why its important to vote with your feet. If they start to lose market share then these fees will get dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Nollog

Consumer Price Index

probably 2-4% and then they want 3% extra as profit for themselves.

Its based on the annual figure for January 2024 which will be published in a weeks time on 15/02. Dec 2023 was 4.6%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Not the best and as an fyi I'm with Sky on same 500Mb/s connection. Contract expires this month after paying €30/m for past 12 months after FTTH finally came to my area last year. I got an email from them a couple of months ago advising of my contract expiry and that they would automatically charge €35/m going forward with no contract. Reasonably happy to leave it at that rather than trying to negotiate a better price with a contract.

They are advertising €30/m for 12 months of €35/m for 24 months contract on their website for a 500Mb/s connection (granted likely for new customers but would cancel and re-join if needed)

If you on €35/month with no contract, you could wait until April and then check to see if there is a better deal on with all providers.

As you typically need to contract for 12 months, it would mean any providers that have the CPI+ increases in their T&Cs (eg Eir & VF), you would only get this charge of a few euros in the last month of your contact as typically these increases happen in April.

But even at €35/month regardless is very good pricing and you are not in contract.

Thread is gone dead. Nobody knows anything about fibre to the cabinet with Pure. Anyway I guess I'll leave Vodafone and give Pure a try. If they're crap I can leave within the 40 days and change to someone else anyway. It'll save me 20 a month for a year anyway. They'll probably give me a different router and Vodafone come and take my old router. I'll just then have to tune my WiFi extender into their router. Hopefully it should be fine. I don't think Vodafone care about losing customers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭honda boi

I think speed is usually the same with whoever you go with it. They all use the same infrastructure if I remember correctly.

Only difference is usually the equipment and customer service.

I was with Vodafone for years before with FTTC. Was ok but was a pain to ring them when something went wrong.

Calls were usually dropped or the person on the phone couldn't speak English great.

Moved to pure with the FTTC and they are brilliant.

Any issues I had they could sort it, no kind of language barrier as everyone I got on the phone spoke English perfectly.

I recently got upgraded to FTTH and went very smoothly with pure.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Ring Vodafone and any time you agree a contract for 12 months they'll agree not to up the bill based on CPI+3% until the next year. I just re-signed up with them and since it's 30 and then 40 set you miss the added amount (they and I were clear). I'll be out of contract again next year and do the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I'll be interested to see what happens in April. I was told that my price will increase by CPI+3% in April when I recontracted in Jan 24. What I was told is also as stated in their T&C's.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭holliehobbie

• Advertisement

Yep I rang Vodafone and the best they would do was 40 euro a month for 12 months or 35 euro for the first 6 months and 45 for the next 6 months(same amount of money anyway) so I'm leaving them for Pure Telecom.

Advertisement