Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jimjangles

Sky raise the price to 60 a month if you go out of contract though for even a minute so very expensive if you drop out of contract.

I'd have to be on the ball about dropping them after the 12 months.

I'm currently paying Sky a tenner a month for the basic fta channels so I'm not sure if that offer would be open to me.

Would Sky have a better service than Pure?

Pure are 30 a month for 12 months and 40 for 6 months (18 month contract)with Bonkers so I thought that was a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭jos22

I used Facebook last year to sign up for the 30 deal they had for 12 months, in April bill was 40 due the CPI, I replied back to the reps message that stated it was 30euro on a 12month contract. they agreed that they agreed to a 12months at 30, applied 10 euro credit to april bill and applied a discount to combat the CPI for rest of the contract.

I have the same message from them This year, the amount we agreed to with no mention of CPI, so once /If the bill increases I will complain to get it removed again.

simply tell them it unfair that customer who signs up in Jan gets punished with price increase that someone in who signs up in April gets to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i have also done this with vodafone and eir and they scrapped the increase for me

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Thanks for all the posts - I was paying €70 pm for Virgin 500MB, rang them yesterday and spoke to a lovely limerick lady, and got this down to €35 per month for 9 months, and back to €70 for final 3 so happy with that result - big saving overall.

• Advertisement

I signed up with Pure today, if anyone's interested I can let ye know here how it goes when I get connected to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I generally switch between Pure and Sky every 12 months. Pure are always really good to deal with in my experience. The dance of porting between Providers is a by-product of the way "new" customers can be dealt with as an "acquisition" cost rather than a retention cost. I have been an FTTH customer for last 7yrs, 1 of those on Vodafone, the other 6 split between Sky & Pure, all offer the very same speeds, over the same line and the same is true with DSL and FTTC products. In that time though, Pure really have been the best to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

How long does it take to switch & are you without a connection for any time during the switch?

In my case, Pure will be sending me a new modem/router in the next couple of days and the switchover happens in a week from my call so that'll be next Thursday. Pure rang me the day after I signed up on Bonkers. You just swap the modem over on the day that you change so there shouldn't be any interruptions to the connection. That's the plan anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've had Virgin media cable, Pure fibre, and currently Vodafone. Pure are grand, I prefer their Irish support to Vodafone. I prefer their modem, which is a fritzbox, that I still use. Only thing I didn't like about them was the price increase after a year. No retention policy, take it or leave it. So I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I switch between sky and pure every year (Siro) and pure let you keep the fritzbox. I've never used the sky equipment, the connection just disconnects and reconnects in middle of night and fritzbox keeps on working fine.

Switching can be set for whatever date you choose and other than swapping the providers router? It's near instant. Most I've ever been without service during an FTTH switch is 15minutes or so. Indeed over the last 5 or more switches, I've not noticed any drop out when switching.

1 piece of advice I'd offer to anyone with a smart home setup, or lots of WiFi devices, would be to use your own router. A lot of folk get frustrated with having to add a new WiFi connection to their devices and the time that takes. If you do buy a router for that type of use, make certain that it is capable of VLAN tagging.

With FTTH connections, you do not need to use the providers modem for anything other than VOIP. You can use your own modem to manage your WiFi and wired networks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

My encounters with Virgin have been entirely opposite . Despite calling them three times, each attempt yielded the same response: "Sorry, there's nothing we can do." This was even confirmed in written correspondence from their end. Moved to Pure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭wassie

1 piece of advice I'd offer to anyone with a smart home setup, or lots of WiFi devices, would be to use your own router. A lot of folk get frustrated with having to add a new WiFi connection to their devices and the time that takes.

Another solution that doesnt require buying your own router is to change both your wifi network name (SSID) and password to a unique name & password combination. First time you do this you will need to reconnect all of you devices to this new wifi name.

But then if you do switch providers and want to use the new ISP supplied router, all you need to do is change the wifi name and password in the router settings and everything will then reconnect to the new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

That's unfortunate - it's a pain having to ring them every year, but always end up getting a deal - this one was better than most, getting the 9 months - think a lot of it comes down to luck with who you get speaking to

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Friztboxes can be easily connected together to form a mesh network, and can be picked up second hand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Do you have a suggestion of a router to get?

I am with Virgin, can i just connect the wire from the wall into the router and work from there?

I have a Deco mesh system and for some reason it won't work well on Router Mode from the Virgin box, so am Access Point mode...which removes a lot of the functionality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭wassie

Seems your not alone according to this thread.

Better off asking in the Broadband forum rather Bargains : https://www.boards.ie/categories/broadband

With Virgin, you need to have them activated IPv4 and put the Virgin Router into Modem mode. Then you connect your chosen router in and that then handles your DHCP, WiFi and any other bells and whistles you want to run.

Recommendations wise, it's very much horses for courses. I use Asus RT-AX88U as my main router with another AC86U as an access point/repeater in an outbuilding. I use my router to run 2 concurrent VPNs for work/hobby related stuff. It also runs my ad-blocker via Diversion. I stick with Asus solely because it's what I know, it was the 1st router firmware I played around with and I kinda know where everything is now.

I also have a few devices set to specific DNS routing for my smart TVs. That allows me to access region locked TV and video apps without messing with device level settings, and keeping the rest of the traffic isolated.

It's very easy for me to say "oh get this because it's better" but the truth is that everyone's use case will be different. My advice would be look at what you need the router to do, and then add what you would like it to do.

Mine has 14 or so wired devices via a switch and supports about 35 wireless with plenty of overhead to spare.

Splitting my WLAN into 2.4ghz & 5ghz along with additional guest works means I have decent granular control over my WiFi networks and devices.

Now all that said? Other routers are available and some are far better. Ubiquiti stuff in particular is rock solid business grade gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Barrett1234

Switched from sky to pure about 6 months ago and that is exactly what happens. They posted me a router and I just switched. No down time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Got another text off them offering me half price again at €35 a month but decided to go with Sky (Ultrafast+ up to 500mbps) at €30 a month instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Does anyone know what router Sky or Vodafone provide?

Looking to go with NBI connection and I think I have it narrowed down to these two

Any ideas who who provides the best router?

Vodafone’s Gigabox is sh1te. Wireless speeds fluctuate like mad. Skys hub router is much more reliable from experience.

That's great, thanks.

Just what I wanted to hear. I've just placed an order with sky for 500Mb for €30 for 12 months.

Do they add on any sneaky costs throughout the year like some of the other providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Agreed. Recently switched from VF to Sky. Sky router has significantly better wifi.

No and after 12 months price only increases by €5 for another 12 months with no new contract.

That's great, really helpful, thank you, appreciate it 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Got a phone call off them today (Saturday) asking would I consider not leaving them and again offering me the half price 500mb offer.

Told her I had taken the cheaper Sky offer for €30 a month, she wasn't impressed.

Advertisement