Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Everyone in the Civil Service can apply for remote working.

Whatever arrangement would be made for you to WFH would ultimately come down to the policy of the Department you are assigned to, and the suitability of the AO role you are given.

WFH is granted based on the suitability of the role for WFH, not the person doing it.

But in general, 2/3 days WFH appears to be the average for those who request it. You might have an office based training period at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 spot555

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Pretty much every Department and most agencies offer blended working, but you might spend more time in the office initially if they've training/mentoring or job shadowing going in. This thread has a lot of info on who is offering what in terms of blended working policies: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058303919/civil-service-blended-working-survey#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

(As a relatively high earning public servant (who's paid a lot of tax! both while working in the private and public sector), I can say that the Public services is probably more efficient and harder-working than the private sector in my view.

There is lest wastage of both resources and time and people on the whole, seem to be there so they can help their fellow citizens.)

As regards remote / wfh / hybrid, it's the future for certain - in 20 years, I can't see offices even having half the floor space they have now in Dublin and elsewhere - commuting long distances to do the same work you can do at home or closer to home just doesn't make sense.

Our time is the most precious resource of all, why waste it on a DART or in traffic?

Post edited by Young_gunner on

• Registered Users Posts: 4 solidusis

Can you apply for WFH while you are in your probation with the civil service? Is there a certain time period that you have to wait before applying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭spark_tank

It all depends on your department/section/line manager.

Yes, you can apply while still on probation, but as mentioned already, approval will depend on the role you are given and also the Department's internal policies on WFH.

Its worth highlighting again - WHF is firstly based on the suitability of the work that is to be done from home - NOT the suitability of the person assigned to the role.

We found this was something we really had to clarify for people when implementing WFH in my dept.

Reminder to all who work from home, don't forget to submit your claim for a tax rebate.

Submitted mine to Revenue on Jan 29th, Statement of Liability issued 30th, and refund (approx €200) just went into my bank account at midnight, in time for the weekend. 🤑

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Electricity bills, heating (gas or oil) and then your broadband bills for the year. You also need to add up how many days you worked from home in that year. I did mine recently for the last 2 years and only got €130 back for the 2 years, but I only work hybrid and don't have big utility bills....better in my pocket all the same!!

• Advertisement

There is a guide here:

You can claim relief on your electricity, gas and broadband costs for the number of days you worked from home.

I confess, I didn't actually upload the PDFs of all my bills I literally just plugged in the total annual amount for Heating & Lighting, and Broadband + the number of days I worked from home.

But you must have copies of them ready and available to upload, in case they select you for a manual check!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭daffodill50

Do you need to provide proof of how many days WFH you did - like a copy of your WFH application or anything?

No, though I did have screenshots of my work calendar and had it ready in case asked for it.

You can literally only apply for days you worked from home, so have to take account of bank holidays, annual and flexi leave, sick days etc.

In my case, it's easy (especially as my spouse does the tax refund application!) - I work two days/week from home. Subtract number of weeks leave from 52, multiply by 2, that's my days WFH. (I work 2 days in the office even if there's a public holiday.) All of our bills are online and can be screenshotted. It's not big money at all, Revenue don't really care about the small stuff, and in 99.99% of cases won't look for bills or receipts - we've been submitting a Med 1 for medical expenses for the last 20 years and never been asked for receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Agree - it will likely only flag something if you start claiming for an amount above average

Most people will probably have something like

Total bills 3000 X (90/365) X 30/100 = 220 (with tax relief @ 40% = 88 refund!)

If it looks reasonable, all you need worst case is a letter from your employer stating you WFH 2 days per week etc. They are not going to come after you to prove it was only 90 if you put in 92 and forgot to subtract a single days flexi somewhere along the line (i.e. it's in the very close ballpark). If you put in 200 days when you only WFH 2 days a week and can't back it up then that's a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bellie1

I only work half days., WFH 4 days a week. Does this only equate to 2 days a week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Craggy Jon

I am a Civil Servant, living on the outskirts of Trim & working in a large City Centre office. My nearest bus/train link to Dublin is a 25 minute drive. Monday, Wednesday & Thursday working from home. Last Tuesday, I left home at 06.45. I arrived in my office at 10.08. Snarl-ups on M50 caused chaos on all entry routes to City Centre. I arrived into my office, hungry, dying for a pee & totally stressed out. I needed coffee. I spent my first half hour in the canteen, moaning to whoever woukd listen to me, about my commute. Switched on my computer abour 10.50 & got started on my day. Then I met colleagues for lunch- that took about an hour - and back to work till 18.30, when it too me another hour & 45 minutes to get home, exhausted; drained and deflated 

Compare with Wednesday. Set alarm clock for 08.50. Logged in and working from home at 09.00. No distractions. No canteen breaks. No long gossipy lunches, no hideous traffic either coming from or going to work. Worked solidly till 13.00, half hour lunch (when I attended to some domestic chores) & knocked off at 17.30. 

it goes without saying that ALL of my work is doable remotely. Why in the name of all that’s holy can’t my line managers see they are getting SO much more bang for their buck by allowing me to work from home? 

For the record - Dublin traffic on Fridays is manageable. I quite like going into the office on Fridays.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭reggie3434

Spending half an hour in the canteen first thing is perhaps why they don't trust you along with 40 minutes to get to a point where you turn on work pc (if not on the clock)

Maybe you are not actively and transparently communicating and demonstrating your outputs and outcomes, so your manager doesn't know what "bang for their buck" they are getting?

Many employees get ultra defensive about this and launch into "do you not trust me?" emotional manipulation if lightly asked to update on outputs by their manager. It is very clear some employees (not all) don't get that freedom and autonomy comes with responsibility, or else don't understand what responsibility truly means.

• Advertisement

Half an hour might be excessive, but after leaving the house at 6:45, OP might be entitled to a bit of breakfast? (I have mine at my desk, whether WFH or office).

I think the situation the poster described was not his norm, due to the traffic problems he mentioned, and not something that occurs every time he commutes to Dublin.

But it can happen, and it can't be predicted. I remember once commuting from my home to my (then) workplace, a mere 18km, but there was some major accident en-route which snarled up the whole city. It took me 3 hours to get to work, by which time I was pretty much useless for the rest of the day as I was worn out before I even got there.

So while I think he probably should have used the bathroom, grabbed a coffee and taken it straight to his desk, I can empathise with the frustration he felt at the journey. Also, most competent managers would recognise an abherration like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Because they are getting more bang from their buck from you. But apparently overall companies aren’t anymore.

Exactly. For everyone who is conscientious and internally motivated, lots aren't, who ruin it for others, as there is no opportunity for performance management in the CS (you just get all sorts of accusations of bullying, the person goes on sick leave, or makes life hell for everyone else)

Remote working can work great when there is a consequence of poor performance - when there isn't, its tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭curiosity

At a guess, your line manager(s) will have little/no immediate influence on the question of how many days you are required to attend the office. They're in the same boat as you, trying to ensure they 'tick the box' each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's just as easy to be busy doing nothing in the office, and that's before we get into lengthy chats at someone's desk, half hour tea breaks, endless watercooler and consequent toilet visits...

Our place is introducing anchor days, a great way to ensure I get a half day's work done with the interruptions and noise.

Life ain't always empty.

To clarify. The work that I do is very quantifiable. At close of business each day, I fill in a spreadsheet on the number of files processed each day. On my WFH days, I process between 35 and 40 cases, rising to 50 if I’m blessed with non-complicated cases. On my in-office days, I average between 20 & 25 cases - lower if there are a couple of curved balls thrown at me. To those tutting at me spending 30 mins in the canteen - are we not entitled to a morning coffee break? Does the fact that I have sat in traffic for in excess of 3 and a quarter hours not entitle me to said coffee break. If the traffic is kind, & I make it into the office around 9.30 or so, I’ll still take my half hour coffee break. To me it’s a non-brainer. The recorded and verified work output speaks for itself.

What Ezeoul said was correct. The Tuesday a few weeks back was particularly bad traffic-wise. But my average mid-week commute is between 2 & 2 and a half hours each way. My output is significantly lower on my in-office days. That’s all I’m saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Lazy folk are more likely to do a bit more in the office. It’s just common sense. You are really comparing lengthy tea breaks to literally having access to TV, the ability go shopping , do anything basically?

Did you actually take the time to read my post? Allow me to repeat. MY WORK IS QUANTIFIABLE. I am more productive whilst working from home than when I am in the office. End. Of. Jeez!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A tea-break is 10 minutes. Enough time to go to the loo, and grab a quick cup of tea.

30 minutes is a lunch break.

Advertisement