Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i'm not saying to cut old people out from voting, they've lived long enough so its their right to be able to vote. Voting ability should not be taken away from someone on the basis of their age reaching a cut off point.

the solution has already been put forward as best possible answer being allow people to vote but remove the parties names and have their policies there for people to choose from/vote for, instead of party names. That way by reading the policiy they can understand a bit more what it is they are voting for and eliminates a good chunk of bias voting

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The recent announcement by DCC to limit private cars from August in Dublin are welcome and will contribute positively to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 20,098 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah, I don't think we should restrict voting based on age. I think we should only restrict voting (if we should restrict it at all) based on reasons that are consistent across the board.

If you think a dementia sufferer should have vote, then why do you think a 10 year old shouldn't have a vote? Serious question.

If we restrict voting on the grounds of lack of understanding of the systems, then do it across the board.

I've said what I think we should do. Either restrict voting based on consistent metrics, or don't restrict it at all. I also mentioned some other reasons to remove the vote such as not understanding the system and think thst should either apply across the board or not at all

If its so obvious why no young people should have a vote, why is it so difficult to explain why, using a reason that can be applied across the board?

Does that answer your question?

Hold on, you've stated the position but I'm asking fir the rationale for the position. 'They've lived long enough' is just restating that you have to be 18 to vote. I'm asking why it's a good idea to have that age restriction.

To get fair, I've asked you loads of times for the rationale and you're back to restating the position. Doesn't that give pause for thought that maybe there isn't a great reason for it? If there was a great reason, I presume you'd have given it at the first time of asking.

by saying "They've lived long enough" and earned that right, i'm reffering to that as a defense of old people not being excluded from voting, nothing to do with being 18 to vote. By mentioning "cut-off point" i thought this would have made it more obvious i was talking about the end side of things. A Cut off point is quite different than a starting point. i'm not saying people should be 18 to vote, i was simply saying people shouldnt be cut off due to reaching a certain age, and that after being alive for so long it becomes their right that should not be taken away from them (the elderly)

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement

I don't really agree that 'living long enough' is a good qualifier to vote, but I appreciate the answer.

Why does living a long time really have to do with it?

For example, I could argue that living a long time leaves old people out of touch with the modern world. What's the average 80year olds understanding of modern technologies and the risks and opportunities they pose? Do they understand a lot about modern globalised business practices? Maybe living too long should fe viewed as a negative factor. I wouldn't make those assumptions about ALL old people but I think they'd be as valid as assuming ALL young people shouldn't vote because they might not understand all the complexities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I..

there seems to be some confusion here, are you FOR or AGAINST old people voting?

No confusion. I've said a load of times I don't agree with age restrictions on voting.

I've also said the IF we impose restrictions on voting, then we should have a rationale for doing it and apply it evenly across the board. E.g. if its about not understanding the system, then remove the vote from anyone who doesn't understand the system.

Personally I don't support taking the vote from anyone, regardless of age or knowledge of the system. Does that clear it up?

yeah that clears it up, thank you for explaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

So if we're not restricting by age, does that mean a seven year old gets the vote? And a three tear old? I suspect the number of 'spoiled' votes would increase drastically. Even telling the to vote with number preferences (1, 2, 3...) could see the total candidates, alphabetically, getting the number one votes, if you know what I mean.

Regarding dementia, there are different stages/versions but if a person had 'full' dementia all of the time, they probably wouldn't be able to vote at a polling station. Even if somebody brings them there, and tries to make them vote their way, it'd be hard work.

Then you have people like the singer Tony Christie, who has been diagnosed with dementia and is being medicated for it, but is okay enough to bring awareness of the condition, so I'm sure he would like to think his vote is valuable.

If you think a dementia sufferer should have vote, then why do you think a 10 year old shouldn't have a vote? Serious question.

I have already sort of answered this. I don't necessarily think a dementia sufferer should have the vote, because I don't think they would be able to vote if they were that badly affected by it. If they are not at that stage, let them vote if they can do so relatively independently. As for the ten year old, most of them would probably think it was too boring or not do it correctly.

Basically what I'm saying is that the current system mightn't be perfect but we should stick with it until a better method is suggested and accepted.

Yeah OK. What's the standard by which you're comfortable with giving ALL dementia sufferer a vote and denying ALL under 18s a vote? What's the rule that applies to both groups and arrives at that conclusion?

I used 10 year olds as an extreme example of young people who might potentially use the vote. But you'd have loads of under 18s who, if they had a vote, would use it and would be politically active.

That's just for context. Focus on the question in the first paragraph. What's the standard that's applied to young and old?

how to win the election: bribe all the kids with a free kinder egg and packet of crisps to secure their vote!

The young people never had the vote. You aren't taking away a right which they once had. You are giving them the right to vote at 18 because that has been deemed the age they are mature enough to use it. That's already in the bag, and that law exists. Please explain why younger people should be allowed to vote.

Even if some younger people would be politically active, the percentage of 15 year olds thinking of voting and politics would be a lot lower than the percentage of 20 year olds. And even though those 20 years have the vote, the percentage of 30 year olds interested in voting and politics would also be higher than them (and obviously the 15 year olds).

i would still like to know what you think about my idea in regards to how the voting should be settled. my idea: When it comes to elections i think it would be far more simple and important to make each political party have a spinning top, and the winner is decided from whoever wins the spinning top battle, either that or a race with remote control cars that have a flag sticking out of the back of them, the flag being which political party they belong to.

To be honest, I'd much rather the Scalextric idea than the spinning top. If there are multiple candidates from one party nominated for election in a constituency, I presume there would be a car for each of them? Maybe the party flag with a little picture of the candidate on the back of the car, or better yet, a bobblehead on the candidate in the driver's seat of the car, along with your flag idea.

Maybe it would encourage more people into politics, if they knew they were going to get their own bobblehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In terms of storytelling, there's a handful of games that really do extraordinary storytelling. Eg The Last of Us, Telltale Walking Dead series and a few others. Even the likes of Papers Please incorporate morality and paradoxical decision making. However I still view gaming to be in its infancy storytelling wise so it doesn't fully compete. I do view it as valid entertainment wise though. But great cinematic experiences are still wildly more varied in terms of storytelling.

Yeah, that's a funny joke, but in reality, children likely too be bribed with sweets would be a tiny voter block. Would adults vote for a policy like that and would anyone get elected on that policy? Obviously not

Improved facilities in school might be interesting to children and adults alike. Would that be a bad thing?

But stall the ball anyway. Are you saying we should take away the vote from people who might vote for things you don't like. I dislike the way older people vote (as a block, not individuals) . But I've said I don't want to take away their vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you want to reduce spoiled votes, coerced votes and votes that are borne of stupid notions, there are far less people with dementia than there are under 18s who haven't a clue.

I'd rather a small cohort of elderly people with dementia voting than a very large cohort of children who rely on YouTube for political 'information'.

I didn't say I want to reduce spoiled votes. Someone else brought it up. Spoiled votes are pretty irrelevant as they dont count towards the result, I would have though.

And now you're suggesting we don't give votes to people based on where they get their information and WHO they vote for in case you dont like them. Isn't that pretty much against the entire principle of holding elections? I disagree how lots of people vote, bit I don't want to prevent them from voting in case I don't like how they use their vote.

So you're comfortable discounting the political opinion of a whole dedemographic? I'm not comfortable with doing that, even for people whose political opinions I disagree with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

@o1s1n

I'd rather a small cohort of elderly people with dementia voting than a very large cohort of children who rely on YouTube for political 'information'.

That large cohort of children who rely on YouTube for political 'information' will grow up to be a large cohort of adults who rely on YouTube for political 'information' in no more than one single electoral cycle. And even worse, it won't be YouTube, it will be TikTok. So rather than delaying the inevitable votes from what you consider uninformed people it's better to apply the principles of universal vote (with the good and the bad) and focus on education rather than restriction. You may be surprised that they will appreciate the fact that they are trusted with responsibility, and actually be more enthusiastic and take voting more seriously than a lot of adults do.

I agreepre education would be great. I can't get on board with denying people a vote in case you dont like how they'd vote. I think that's pretty much the point of democracy to let people decide. If we take wmaway bites based on who a group might vote for, would you be allowed to vote?

I think you're right that denying young people the vote until they're 18 stunts their engagement with politics. Universal voting means young people can meaningfully engage with politics from a younger age. It wouldn't affect the ones who don't care anyway.

No i'm not saying we should take away the vote from people who might vote for things you don't like, people are free to vote for whatever they want. i'm not gonna be biased and selfish and only want people to vote for what i want. i would rather anyone vote for what THEY want. its their choice.

As for adults, their tastes are more expensive but they can be much more effectively bribed. Probebly bribe them with *** or **** or else ****** and **** or free food, maybe vouchers for tesco or some sort of discount somewhere. Bribe them with drink or ciggerettes lol. i really dont know what to realisticly bribe them with but the people running for office could come up with some sort of marketting collab with lets say the likes of aldi or dunnes, and bribe them with vouchers to them places, or maybe a discount off of their electric bill for next 2 months. or free netflix for a month.

or bribe them with policies and promises, which is something people already do alot of in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

INSURANCE ,

Its such a scam ( i know its not an actually scam but hear me out) iv no idea how there isn't more uproar about it,

Car insurance for example people pay thousand for years & years but god forbid you ever need to use it ,

Like if you think about it there is no other service you pay for but if you want to use it they try there best not to give it to you , then punish you for using it ,

People will literally pay insurance for 20 year & if something happens try to pay for repairs form there own pocket, because god forbid they use the insurance they have been paying thousands upon thousands for over 2 decades ,

Its mental

Surely when it all started it was the insurer that was taking the risk but somehow we all let that change & now they get away with murder,

very true! but not even insurance itself which we can already see as being a scam or a rip-off, there's another thing to it. the cost.

i know a small handful of people who deliberately decided to get their cars insured in england because its meant to be a bunch cheaper. Even uk's MOT system is better than our NCT over here, and less bs to deal with.

I fomt understand your forst paragraph. You say people are free to vote for whatever they want, but you opposed allowing young people voting because they might be bribed. So SOME people are free to vote, others aren't. That's not right. It must be clear that isn't right.

I asked you a few posts back: "What's the standard by which you're comfortable with giving ALL dementia sufferer a vote and denying ALL under 18s a vote? What's the rule that applies to both groups and arrives at that conclusion?"

If you don't have an answer that's fine, just say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Pet insurance is the one of the worst offenders. They all but cut you off, cover-wise, once a dog turns 8 but, of course, they don’t tell you.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

i never opposed allowing young people to vote, and i've never opposed bribery either. infact i even gave some bribe ideas. i clearly said all people are free to vote, and free to choose whoever they want to vote for.

also answering the question: well first its a loaded question and implies a bunch of stuff, i'm not denying under 18s a vote and i never mentioned anything about dementia either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭suvigirl

16 year olds cannot have sex or drive (except a tractor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What's worse is that government made it mandatory, by law to hold car insurance. Then left it up to private companies to fleece us all.

Advertisement