Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Come here, you misunderstand the stat. The definition of emmegrant in the report is someone leaving ireland and not resident in Ireland for at least 12 months. The definition of immigrant is someone coming to ireland and being resident for at least 12 months. The part I quoted looked at a 12 month period..... They couldn't possibly have been the same people. They have to be unique individuals.

The fact that we're still discussing how you misunderstood the meaning should give pause for thought. Does it give pause for thought, at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yeah but you used it in a way that was dishonest when responding to grayfox, you used the stat to rebut what he said, i'm simply trying to say it can't apply. i don't agree with his statement (partially i do i'm in 2 minds about it, i believe more money should be put into education, but rather more about teaching the right things to kids instead of just throwing away the money blindly to schools, he's right in his reason about kids fecking off out of the country when possible and why they do).

Regardless of my understanding or misunderstanding of stats, they're not returning to ireland at all. Same or different people coming back to ireland, regardless of 12 months the point still stands. They're obviously not coming back for the country itself. Their "comings" back cannot be used in any sort of argument whatsoever to support the country. The stats don't really matter. grayfox's point still stands about this country and the kids leaving it. saying about 30k people immigrating and emergrating back to ireland or whatever word you want to use, doesnt change this

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I know that.The same applies, unless they let their heterosexual partner know they are bisexual then it is simply misleading them and they shouldn't do that.Not much to ask for people to be 100% honest with someone they are in a long term relationship with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Not it isn't as the FA Cup final is the third most important trophy a team will compete for whereas the Super Bowl is the be all and end all in American football.

Also the FA Cup is still a sports occasion solely whereas the SuperBowl is a big entertainment jamboree and there is as much talk about the adverts and half time show in the general public as the game itself.

I hate the half time show of the super bowl it's tedious and I hate how long the game drags on for it definitely drags on for much longer than a normal game.At least the FA Cup/Champions League etc who no extra bull crap attached to them they are just sports games and we should be thankful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is entertainment at CL finals, its usually before the game and before it goes on air.

And the way we copy everything American, its only a matter of time before we have a half time 'show' during the CL final too.

• Advertisement

true, in that regard the super bowl half time shows and jamboree (have'nt heard that word in donekys years lol, i like it. and thank you for using it <3) are kind of like a mini-olympics opening ceremony or the musical acts and non-sports performances. Really though its just over hyped american stuff and marketting things. the only reason i even know "super bowel bowl" even exists, is because of hearing "half-time show" or "commercials at half time" mentioned alongside it. Or "x person peformed or made an apparence at the super bowl half time show".

What do they even do (the players) that the audience need to be entertained and wait ages for the second half of the game? just resting is it? is it like 30 minutes or 15 mins or 5 mins or what? how long? and how come soccer doesnt get the same treatment? and why are these trophies all cups and bowls based? sounds very centered around food lol.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the half time show this year was lengthened to 15min. It is usually 13min.

Of course there is advert time too, so I guess the players must be off pitch for at least 25min?

I'm not having this. I said: "Turns out net Irish migration was zero last year when you consider the ones leaving and the ones returning. About 30,000 left and about 30,000 returned in 2023".

I'm not sure whether you misunderstand the term net or migration or both. Nobody with half a brain would read that and think I'm suggesting the same people emmigrated and immigrated in the same year.

You called my posting the stat dishonest and its because you though it meant the same 30,000 people went and returned in the same year. Make a balls of understanding it all you want, but don't call it dishonest because you don't understand it.

No no, not at all. i said regardless of if it means the same OR not. The point he made still stands regardless of either of those meanings.

it does'nt matter if 30,000 or 60,000 came to ireland, or returned, or whatever way you want to word it. This is why i said the stats don't matter. i am not calling you dishonest, i'm saying using all that as a response to grayfox is dishonest, as its invalid. His point was getting at the education system and why not to fund it, or the kids escaping ireland as soon as they can after school for work/money pursue/better life. You then responsed to him about that 30,000 thing. That is what i'm calling dishonest. Not you but the argument itself. That point does'nt counter his.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

IVF should be banned. There is no point in an over populated world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭randd1

On the contrary, I think IVF is a good thing. Because you know damn well them children are going to be cared for no matter what. And any couple I know that have had IVF are still together, and utterly dedicated to their kids. Plus, they never have too many of them, virtually every one of them limit themselves to 2 kids.

Ideally if you want to limit population, then chemical contraception, male or female, should be mandatory until you're 23 at least. A little bit dystopian, but certainly would be better all round for everyone have lived some of their life before they have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

A western born child is a huge drain on resources. IVF is absolutely no guarantee the child will be loved as it may be a partner is forced by another. I know people with IVF children who broke up just like couples who planned a child. It is also very upsetting for those when it doesn't work along with the huge cost. Then you have the birth defects as a result too.

I am not saying limit the population just there is absolutely no reason to have IVF given the world is over populated as is. There are orphans and foster children needing parents as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Car insurance shouldnt be mandatory in ireland.

The costs are absolutely extortionate for people.

Here is a controversial opinion: every year during the time the elections would normally take place, they should scrap the election process entirely and have the candidates fight it out in like a boxing match or mma or something and then the winner gets to be tea shock, or taesearch or whatever its called. Have it arranged like an knock-out style bracket tournament. Simular to how the FA cup in soccer is ran, an elimination based type of thing.

becuase most people don’t bother and therefore the rest of us pay ridiculous money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,884 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nickelback are a good band

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Because it is mandatory, the government should provide an insurance system, and not leave it to private companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

People who sign off on every single one of their boards posts as if they're writing a letter should be sitebanned. e.g. Regards....

yeah true, but if it's called a post, then does'nt that kind of imply that its a letter? Could be just noobs, or real life people not used to the internet or those who think they are sending it off into cyberspace, and take the cyberspace part a bit too litrelly. Probably even call it "the web" :D in that case i'm surprised they don't stamp the top right corner of it like they would a letter.

~yours sincerely

-BoardsBottler

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Both sides of the Ukrainian War lie, the Russians are just far worse at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...tis war after all, everyone becomes a bullsh1tter.....

Yeah neither side in a war is really obliged to tell the truth. Propaganda is a weapon of war. Some choose to stick close to the truth in the things they choose to talk about, but they would never choose to talk about truths that don't suit them. Both sides will rubbish whatever the other side says.

We (the west) choose not to be too critical of Ukranian propaganda. In contrast we also choose not to be too critical of isreali Propaganda. How many times gave you heard death toll numbers disputed because "you can't believe hamas health ministry numbers". On the other hand we have Isreal propagandists on TV to watch them tell us black is white for entertainment sometimes.

If you choose to uncritically believe either side in a war, you're choose who to be deceived by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Music concerts should not be allowed in public parks (unless they are free)

Our parks are free for everyone to enjoy and nobody should be denied access to a park at any time because some music promoter wants more profits.

Our councils shouldn't facilitate private business closing off a public space to large cohorts of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

There should be , if not already , a full life option for evil basterds who commit heinous crimes .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

If Ireland was still in the grip of the church and if the Magdalene Laundries and Industrial Schools were still operative, I could imagine there would be tens of thousands of people fleeing the country to try seek asylum elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I have no sympathy for the hospitality industry when that pub in Dublin is trying to justify charging €10 for a pint.

Spain is a far bigger tourist hot-spot, yet they don't price gouge visitors.

I'm sure you'll hear about overheads and VAT rates. Blah blah blah.

Greed, pure and simple.

exactly! the price gouging has gotten out of control. was already bad enough prior to covid. any excuse these days to raise prices. and the politicians and radio stations have an absolute cheek to criticize people who cross the boarder to do their christmas shopping in the north. to be fair i don't blame them going up north for cheaper stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Middled aged, cis, whyte men are the biggest snowflakes in the Irish online “sphere”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's one of those things about Ireland that seems normal to the Irish but in reality it demonstrates how normal alcoholism is😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Obviously you have never stopped for a beer in las ramblas.

"Food and drinks on the Ramblas

As a general rule, you should avoid the bars and restaurants on La Rambla because they are of poor quality and ridiculously overpriced. Some establishments can charge up to €10 for a beer or a Coca Cola, which sell for around €2.50 elsewhere in Barcelona"

Advertisement