Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mine usually last ages, to be honest. There'll be so many different variables involved that you might never get to the bottom of it, but I'd suggest using a different controller for a bit to see if that's what's causing the problem first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

If your using the same batteries, more than likely its an issue with memory effect in your batteries.

Rechargeable batterys can benefit from being refreshed - just google to see what you can do. Ultimately a decent battery charger can do this, but too much hassle for most peeps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope Santa has gone well for everyone.

Thanks all, for making the Xbox forum a great forum

CIAB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,707 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Well, I got a Microsoft gift card for Christmas so I ordered the Xbox Starfield wrap.

My Starfield console wrap:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Nice! If I was a fan of the game I'd get it.

Seems like it's sold out now.

There are copy cat ones of this on Amazon.

I picked up some stands for my controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,814 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I managed to fix the broken bumper on my series x controller that has been broken for ages. In retrospect I should have just bought the 9 quid plastic bit, but no, I had to go and do it the hard way.

Those controllers are criminally poor qualiry. Next on the list is the broken right thumbstick click on the One X controller.

I was disappointed in the update path revealed for xbox. I'ts not good enough given how demanding recent game releases have been. Starfield performance is a bad joke. I'm heading for Steam for future game purchases. I paid €80 for Starfield on pre-order and feel ripped off. It's now half that already. I wish I had known I would soon build a Steam based gaming PC and had gotten it for that.

In building the PC I got a 'free' copy of Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. The graphics are stunning and an indictment of the lack of xbox upgrade path. I shudder to think how eviscerated it will have to be should it get to xbox, just to get it to barely run like Starfield, only much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Luna84

I played over 100 hours of Starfield on Xbox SX and it was perfect without issues. I also own it on PC with a 7900 XTX and 7800X3D. Played Starfield on PC and Xbox on my C2 OLED with Freesync Premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,814 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have my SX connected to a 120hz OLED tv with freesync, in several spots doing the Red Mile run in Starfield, the frame rate drops to single figures, I mean real freeze frame stutter. Just standing still on an airless moon without lots of things to compute and just panning sideways you can see how bad the frame rate is because it's locked to 30 fps and can't go higher, which is not the case with a PC.

When I first got it, the game crashed nearly every day until that first update. Aside from that sort of thing, my current play through of the game is a horrid broken mess. The most recent update was supposed to fix a lot of things but it would seem those fixes only apply if you start a new game from scratch.

Speaking of 7900 XTX, that's what I have in my PC that makes FOP look so gorgeous and ensures I won't be sinking any more money in the xbox ecosystem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

The internet is a light with rumors that some first party games are going multiplatform to PS and Switch(Hi-fi Rush, Sea of thieves). does this bother anyone that xbox is releasing their exclusive games to rival platforms. If it is true SOT is a 6yr old game and Hi-Fi rush is still going to be on Game Pass.

I think that if Xbox comes out with clear messaging what their future plan is I don't really see an issue with releasing first party games to other platforms after a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,372 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I really don't get the issue people have with exclusive games. In essence, I think they are bad - it means you either get locked into a platform where you can't play certain games, or else have to buy the other console. And people think that having lots of exclusives is good for a platform, I disagree. Lots of games are good, and having games available across platforms is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

I had this conversation with a friend, I agree with you that games are good and having an option where to play it, when we were talking about it having a game available on each platform but having certain extras like what they did with the soul caliber games. they each had there own DLC character( Yoda, Darth Vader, and Link) I think something like that to bring you to the platform. I did see Jez Corden say that people will pick their gaming eco system the same way we pick either IOS or Android in the future. I play on all systems but mostly Xbox as I like the UI and controller more.

Not really bothered by it, I can understand why exclusives exist, it was to drive demand for consoles through exclusivity, but honestly I really don't think that it applies any more. People aren't choosing PS5 over Xbox because of games any more, or the other way around, people are choosing it because that's what everyone else gets. They lost the most important generation completely, the "transition to digital" generation, and are now paying the price for that.

That's why Xbox are really innovating with Game Pass, and will innovate again with releasing games elsewhere. I'm not sure what their final plan will look like, as it is such a departure from the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,142 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm not bothered about it.

Plus, I can see a reasonable argument to say putting a game like Hi-fi Rush on another console can be used as an advertisement for Xbox and Game Pass. Oh, you like this game? Well, if you had an Xbox and Game Pass you have got this game years ago, as part of your sub. Along with (now), Call of Duty, and Diablo 4 and the next Elder Scrolls, and Fallout and Doom etc.

Easier for fans to ignore your games when they can't play them.

If they started releasing Forza or Halo etc on PS day 1 then I think the conversation changes a bit. But then again, through the Activision purhcase I maintained that having COD day one for 'free' in your sub is enough of a driver over being able to buy it for 70 on PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,142 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think they would love to have Game Pass, via XCloud, supported on Switch and PS. I think the new nintendo supporting Game Pass in some way is a good bet, tbh.

People aren't choosing PS5 over Xbox because of games any more, or the other way around, people are choosing it because that's what everyone else gets.

You see this happening with school kids - all the kids in one year get an Xbox because thats what all their classmates have, yet a year below they may all favour PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

See people complaining that Xbox titles might be on other platforms. Don't get the complaint.

You can still play your Xbox game and if you're a Gamepass subscriber (which I don't get why people don't subscribe to it) then you still get the game at no extra cost and future Xbox games will be there on day 1.

It will mean the games will generate more revenues and that will in turn lead to investment in better games.

Xbox clearly have strategy to make games more available and I think this is much better than Sony's exclusive approach which only leads to console wars.

That could soon change as Xbox's pipeline is looking much broader than Sony's over the next few years and maybe Sony would change their approach too.

They will have to as the days of consoles are numbered and I think Xbox realises this.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nah, I don't think consoles will ever go away, unless the PC market takes over with basically the same thing. I can see the need for exclusives in the console market. I think it leads to better games overall, as long as that's the focus, and we're seeing that in the exclusives by both Xbox and PS. I don't know why Xbox are struggling to make great exclusives, at least on par with PS's. Xbox have a great catalogue of IPs now, its time to show the purchases were worth it and start banging out great games, exclusive or not. You'll see very few PS fans saying exclusives should be shared, because PS makes the best exclusives. If the situation was the other way around, would Xbox even consider it? I doubt it.

I can't see PS following suit, because their exclusives do sell consoles. I also don't get why Sony is getting the brunt of this when Nintendo are the real exclusive whores. Where's the cries for them to release multi-plat? I'd love it if I could play Nintendo games on PS, but I never expect that to happen, so I don't see why PS should follow suit of the chasing Xbox. I still think Day 1 Gamepass releases are hurting it overall, but most have not been received as well as they would have liked so kind of a moot point really.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Xbox to get back to the competitive days of the PS360 era, but that's gonna be down to the games, not the services imo.

MS adding touch controls to the mobile apps. It'll allow your to remote play on your console without a controller.

• Advertisement

Look at dis. Da latest Xbox controller called Dream Vapor:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Luna84

I do not need to buy that as my standard black controller looks like that after I take some acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Now if only they could apply that effort and innovation to their first party games...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, MS and their controllers. 🥱🥱🥱

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Nevermind, found the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’m not sure if this is the right thread for this but I have been researching a lot on YouTube recently on which console to get as a beginner gamer in my 40’s (too old maybe?). I had settled on Xbox X and then I see videos popping up saying that Xbox is possibly leaving the hardware scene and going to focus on software. Opening their games to other platforms, including PS5.

Is it sensible to go ahead and get an Xbox in light of this news or wait a while. Or maybe even opt for the PS5?

I'd get an Xbox, series s or x (depending on your budget). Then get gamepass, this is a subscription service that gives you access to a bunch of games (some are top tier AAA games, some are small indie games). That will give you a good introduction to games and you can get a feel for what you like and what you don't like, without having to pay €70+ per game.

Realistically the current Xbox series consoles will be around for another couple of years anyway, with a comparable timespan as the PS5. So it's whatever works for you.

Benefit of a Series S is that it is cheaper, but all games must be digital. It's also not as powerful as a series X, so might be limited as newer, more powerful games are released. The Series X is more expensive, but you can use disk games too, meaning you can pick up second hand copies in the likes of CEX. But like I said, the gamepass route is the way to go, there is a thread here on how to get it cheap: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058147822/game-pass-deals-see-first-post-for-the-best-deal#latest

There's plenty of people here who are happy to provide any help you need. I'm sure the fine folks in the Playstation forum will offer similar help. And you're never too old to game!

Oh, if you're on discord, there is a small but very helpful group there too for Xbox users: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058257460/xbox-discord-group-for-boardsies#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Thanks for that dulpit, much appreciated.

Racing games, sports games and platform type games I’d be most interested in.

Im not that interested in shooting or war games, although I’ve never played them and may end up liking them.

Gamepass Ultimate will have you covered, it includes EA Pass so you get a bunch of EA's games for free too (usually you get the latest titles 6-8 months after launch), the F1 2023 game was added a few weeks ago and Madden 24 is due to be added next week I think (if it's not already there now)

• Advertisement

The other advantage being the Xbox universe with Gamepass is that you can play anywhere via your laptop and mobile. Xbox controllers will work with PC/Laptop. Progress will be saved regardless of what device you play on.

Advertisement