Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

All my Xbox One and Series X controllers:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Did you see that new gold shiny one Jordan?

It looks nice ;)

I most certainly did. I'm considering getting it. If I do get it, it will be my eighth Xbox controller.

I also have the 20th Anniversary controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Do you not have an elite controller to go with them?

No, because if I start using an elite, I might never pick up a standard controller.

• Advertisement

That's where I'm at. Can't use a standard one anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

This is going to be an issue.

This has also caught Thrustmaster steering wheels, a lot of arcade sticks and the Brook converters used to get older arcade sticks/steering wheels on current hardware.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

Series X/S were released three years ago. I still remember collecting my console and second controller from Gamestop on a cold and crisp day.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

I got mine from an Argos. There was a shortage of consoles back then too if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What are other people's experience with the series X in terms of it reconnecting to their wifi network after a power interruption?

Mine is the only device I own that can't reconnect, which is annoying as I am at 40 power interruptions this year so far, and counting. The box has to be fully shut down or restarted for it to reconnect to the wifi network. Is this just mine or do they all have this problem?

Another interesting defect is that the xbox has no internal clock. If it loses the wifi connection it also loses it's sense of time, telling you it's 03:15am at 17:30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭wassie

Its not a defect - its by design. Microsoft have chosen not top have a CMOS battery in the S & X. There are reports that it is expected that the console will have internet access and so can update the time accordingly. It also negates any possible problems associated when the battery dies after 5 or so years like PS did (although this was reportedly fixed). Ultimately it probably came down to cost savings given these other reasons.

Xbox has a capacitor that provides power for a short time period (and will retain memory). However after that runs out, the clock resets. Once power resumes, it will automatically adjust after it can reconnect to the internet. We have 2 consoles - one is connected via ethernet so no issues. But the other is connected via wifi and we periodically switch off all of the TV equipment (incl Xbox) in that room if we are going away. I have no problem reconnecting to wifi on restart. It could possibly be due to your routers wifi authentication setup.

But I think your bigger issue is the power. Besides the reliability of your supply, I would be concerned with potential voltage spikes associated with these interruptions. If this is happening frequently, it can be damaging to all of your electrical appliances. I would be monitoring that as ESB guarantee the quality of your supply.

Might be worth reaching out to Support also to see if they can assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I know the bigger issue is the poor quality of the power circuit I am unfortunately hooked too. It was even worse last year, when I also made inquiries and was brushed off with a 'we will look into it' with nothing further except the same crappy service.

Most of the power interruptions are brief, lasting about 10 seconds. I have been on to the ESB a couple of times and spoken to a useless POS 'engineer' who said he thought there was a problem with wet wood and swans flying into wires. Funnily enough, that same week I had an Electric Ireland rep come to the door trying to get me to switch, which I did so future complaints can go via them and we'll see if the clown who took me for an idiot is willing to try his wet-wood 36 unfortunate swans flying in the hills BS on them. When I mentioned this problem to the rep and the engineers excuses, he said he was spouting BS.

Leaving the power problem aside, it is not the subject of my issue, which is the xbox failing to reconnect to the wifi.

Perhaps I should rephrase the problem as the xbox not being able to reconnect to wifi if the router re-boots either intentionally or due to a power interruption. As I implied, the xbox has no problem connecting to a wifi network from a power off state, which is the equivalent of your returning from hols and turning the power back on. The problem is it doesn't connect to a wifi network if the network comes into existence after the xbox has booted.

Since it's the only device in the house that can't connect to a wifi network that comes into being after it was turned on, I'll continue to believe it's the xbox that has a problem. As for the clock, well I am sure it's by design, but I don't agree that it's reasonable to assume all users will have reliable 24/7/365 internet connections. I haven't encountered a motherboard battery clock issue in over 2 decades. I thought it was a probelm relegated to history about the time Windows 95 faded away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭honda boi

Just picked up an Xbox series x from Currys a few days ago.

Fired it up this evening and the fan is making a clicking noise everytime it's on.

Can it be replaced by Currys or is it for Microsoft to sort since it's now opened?

Curry's. Your contract is with the vendor, not manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Series x should be really quiet. It's amazing how quiet it is. So get Currys to replace it.

Brought the loud series x back to Currys and replaced with no hassle!

New hopefully quiet Xbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭wassie

Game on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

8bitdo are now doing an Xbox version of their Sega Saturn clone controller, the M30. Ideal for anyone who plays fighting games but doesn't like using an arcade stick. Should also work great with 2d platformers etc.

I think this looks pretty cool!

Now if they put it on the MS store, so I could pay with reward points, it'd be even cooler :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh that does indeed look nice. Wonder if it feels any softer.

Than the Elite range is it?

Hard to say, definitely one to wait for reviews for!

No doubt a few YT'ers will get early access and tell us all about it :D

BTW, I found that controller on an Xbox wire article about their fave peripherals!

That upcoming A50x is on there too, a quite spicy €400 headset for xbox, ps and pc :)

The official Xbox controller is definitely harder than the ps5 dualsense or switch pro controllers. I'd go as far as saying uncomfortable. Definitely detracts from the experience. I have an 8bitdo wired Xbox controller which is softer.

I feel the exact same. I can't game for hours with the Xbox controller, but I can game for days with the DualSense('s, you need 2 for constant wireless gaming!). I did get one of those 8BitDo controllers, and while nicely softer I disliked the flat face which hampered my finger reaching, felt wrong. And the vibration... well any lady would be happy it was so strong!

Xmas bonus may finally tempt me to get the Wingman adapter and just use a DualSense. No offical green one yet for some reason... Oh, a retro see through green one would be nice.

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I definitely need to do a controller search. And also need to get rid of a load of stuff in CEX while I still can get some value from it.

Wouldn't surprise me if they are doing it because their own haptic controller is on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Is anyone having a problem -ish with rechargeable batteries on the X controller. It seems to go through them like nobodies business. I now have three sets on standby.

Advertisement