Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

I've spotted that too. Time for some average-speed cameras, I think. There are people who think that just becase there's two lanes on a road, it's a motorway. This isn't. Unlike a motorway, there is not enough space for below-average drivers* to correct for their mistakes. And then, when the first crash happens, we'll hear how it's the fault of the junction design or having no hard shoulders, or not having merge lanes, because it's never the fault of the person who made the choice about much reaction time they'd give themselves..

(* if they weren't below average ability they'd recognise this, and not try to drive at 130+ on a road where traffic can join so suddenly)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Has there been any crashes yet on the new road?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A few related to deer on the section between the two towns have been reported by local media.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The project was put out to tender in May 2018, and contracts were signed in Q4 2019.

No disputing what you said about ABP. The section west of Macroom is pushing it in terms of traffic volumes for 2+2, but it's great to see it was built that way as there is now a safe route from Kerry to Cork that'll entice traffic from less suitable routes as currently used.

It's pretty obvious from following the roads programme under the current Minister that there's an irrational ideological objection to new roads regardless of cross section. There are numerous 2+2 schemes that have been pared back or outright cancelled (many of which were proposed for safety reasons). Take a look at the scheduled roads programme in 2019 and see how little progress has been made on many schemes countrywide regardless of need or rationale behind them.

I have great respect for the effort you put into your posts, but after 3 years of this I really don't understand how the current Minister can be defended in any way on his handling of the roads capital programme, which despite his ideological beliefs, is something that he's meant to handle as part of his brief. It's little wonder people are losing faith in Government en masse if Ministers are allowed carte blanche to wreak havoc on elements of their brief because of their own ideological beliefs.

I'm reacting mainly to the knee-jerk tendency here to blame every setback or shortcoming in the roads programme on Eamon Ryan. I don't think he's a great minister, but have we forgotten his predecessor so soon? He is also the first we've ever had in the history of the State who believed that "Transport" is more than "Roads". It's a shame he has to also keep a lid on factions in his own party that honestly would prefer that no roads at all get built and that he's so **** at communicating (but again, this may be a survival strategy: saying nothing means saying nothing that would enrage the party extremists), but he's not the worst Minister to ever hold the portfolio.

My feeling on this is that all of this is really down to money. I actually agree with the 2:1 distribution of the transport budget between Public transport and roads - we neglected PT in the boom times, and it is hurting us badly now, and there's no way we can road-build our way out of the traffic problems we have. The problem is that with that 2:1 split, or even with a 1:1 split (which itself would have been revolutionary in Irish terms), there was no significant increase in money for Transport, all while construction costs shot up.

We've Metro getting started in Dublin, BusConnects, DART and rail improvements too. All are welcome and needed, but all come out of the same pot of cash that would in the past have been used solely for roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

You have to admire his balls and integrity at least.

It's much easier to just build roads and travel the country cutting ribbons and getting your photo in the paper. Everyone's happy.

But he's gone the short term pain, long term gain route.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In fairness, it's a fine piece of engineering work, and a pleasure to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Long term gain for Irish society and the planet.

No glory in expanding rural bus services but he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I don.t drive these days...just the odd car hire ..so am bit out of touch ..but I notice the lack of a hard shoulder or even lay bys. Is that a cost cutting measure? What happens in a break down scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The rural services is one thing that the present administration can be take some credit it, and a creditable non-partitionist approach introducing cross border services that haven't existed since 1922.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Fine bypass unless you drive a truck.

Unless you can't drive, you mean...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Pakrat, your comment was deleted. Read the posting charter and stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

Complete and utter BS. I drove it in both directions yesterday on a day trip to Kerry. Plenty of traffic both times. I had my cruise control at 105 indicated (~100 actual). One car passed me very slowly going west. Nobody passed me going east.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I haven't seen many people breaking the limit either. Most people seem to be doing it right.

I'm often driving in bad weather though which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

If you don't like somebody bluntly calling out complete BS, you're on the wrong website. Attempting to deflect from my point by "humourously" demeaning me doesn't work.

Let's be honest here. Anyone who has driven the new road knows that arsebiscuit82's "120/130 would be the average" comment is way off the mark. I'm not saying there aren't outliers but outliers aren't an average. He is trying to justify his own bad driving by making out that everyone else is doing the same thing when they aren't. Not even close.

Some people on this forum have a comforting belief that the design speed is higher than the posted limit. This is not the case for roads with a 100kph limit. The following from the TII design manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Agree. I’ve driven it numerous times and people are overwhelmingly sticking to the limit. Those breaking it are doing 110kph. I’ve seen no one at motorway speeds. Literally no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think there's often a psychology of when a small minority do something that's out of the ordinary, a flawed perception emerges that "everyone is doing it"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Firstly, apologies for going a bit OT

We have a particular problem on the N25 with three serious bottlenecks between Youghal and Dunkettle (Killeagh, Castlemartyr, and Lakeview Roundabout) all three are about 30 years overdue being bypassed. The latest word in the area is that the yet unopened €27m greenway from Midleton to Youghal will be ripped up and the old rail connection reinstated. How's that for strategic planning of our infrastructure Mr. Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I would say that the latest word in the area is absolute claptrap of the highest order. There is absolutely no plan out there for Midleton to Youghal rail, and even if there was they would put it in parallel to the Greenway. It just wouldn't be ripped up.

I would love to blame Mr Ryan for everything, but that one we just can't blame him for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The €27m Midleton-Youghal greenway has very questionable value. Unlike other successful greenways, like for example, the Dungarvan-Waterford one, the Midleton-Youghal greenway has zero scenic value to attract recreational users. Having said that, as a commuter facility, a decent e-bike combined with the Midleton-Cork train would probably be a quicker option than doing the journey using the N25 as it's currently configured.

There is an actual Midleton-Youghal thread you know, bit as you quoted me for some reason, I suppose I can answer...

As far as I know, there is no plan for reopening the railway to Youghal (too expensive for too few journeys) but a development zone north of Mogeely, connected by rail has been talked about for a long time.. the greenway may not have to be "ripped up" to facilitate this, though. I'm wary of local news stories like this because they're often wildly innacurate or framed to generate outrage rather than inform people of what's happening...

Lads, continue discussion about non N22 topics elsewhere (I can't move posts on this new system)

I'm aware I started this with an Eamon Ryan debate but yer more than welcome to talk Midleton-Youghal on its thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Interesting article. I'd imagine drivers inadvertently fall into motorway driving mode (and 120kph speeds) as it feels and looks like a motorway in many respects apart from the lack of hard shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

People on this thread were adamant nobody ever speeds on this road 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They're just trying to recoup some of the spend😉

Advertisement