Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This has 4 lanes on a section that is not especially busy, so is a generous provision. The old days would have seen a single carriageway road with hard shoulders.

I expect the central barrier meets the necessary standards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lads, Kermit wants US style multiple lane highways with full GSJs all across the country. Our motorways aren't good enough for his ideal, never mind the N22. He's better off ignored when to comes to things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭cantalach

The N22 Macroom Bypass has an ADT of just 8,341. Anyone who thinks roads like this should be build to motorway standard is smokin'.

https://trafficdata.tii.ie/sitedashboard.asp?sgid=XZOA8M4LR27P0HAO3_SRSB&spid=B28D329DECE1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Thank the Lord that this wasn’t built as a single lane road in either direction. Macroom to Cork has constant convoys of traffic due to just one driver doing 70kph and holding up everyone.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yep, happens most days on my way to work. Building this as a single lane would've been madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

Please ignore this clown (I realise I haven't!). He thinks every single road project in Ireland should be the same as the ten lane highways in the states. He thinks there is unlimited amounts of money available to build roads. He won't be happy until every part of the road network in Ireland resembles his wet dream of spaghetti junctions that they have everywhere in the US. Literally every post he makes is negative and compares Ireland to the US. Maybe he should move there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Packrat

Easily known you don't use it for commuting to work very much.

A single carriageway would have been very little of an improvement on the sh1tshow it was.

Journey times are already way down already with BV still there.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Where did I mention anything regarding your rant in my post? Oh, nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This road was well above the criteria for a building this type of dual carriageway I’d assumed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

It's a great piece road to travel on. I remember travelling on the old road several times a month 20 or so years ago, so really nice to see a proper upgrade.

For those complaining a dual carriageway is too much, don't forget built to meet demand for the next 40-50 years at least.

• Advertisement

Just on that topic, what feasibly could be done with the Ballyvourney to Killarney section? I think 2+2 may eventually happen but obviously isn’t a priority at present.

• If they went with an online build, what would be done for local access and houses with direct access to the current N22?
    • Online build would force pedestrians / cyclists to use a 2+2 road. Not a good idea in my mind.
    • Assume grade separation at all junctions would be a must?
    • Bypass of Glenflesk requiring a small offline section?
    • - Grade separation of the present level rail crossing before Killarney?
    • - Tie in on the Killarney side would be problematic unless it is coupled with a new outer bypass to meet the Tralee Road?

The section to Killarney is excellent though isn’t it? Not dual carriageway of course but I found it a very good road- why not climbing lanes?

There are climbing lanes on it already. That section of road can still get very congested. Obviously not a priority by any means though.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Would be great if the Ballyvourney-Killarney section could be enhanced further, but it's probably pie in the sky stuff at the moment. Most days I'd get stuck behind some gobshíte pottering along at 75km/h with no way to safely overtake. I'd also see a lot of dangerous overtaking from people who don't have the patience that I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Agreed. It is one of the main problems we have with even decent WS2 sections of road, both the slow drivers and the dangerous overtaking as people lose patience.

It is such a pity that our poor implementation of the pilot 2+1 road type led to this option being abandoned. There are a large number of roads in the country where existing roads could have been updated to this type in order to create safe overtaking opportunities.

To be honest I’ve only driven the full thing once! Thought it was very good until Ballyvourney and a winding dangerous boreen. Thankfully replaced now

Yea I love climbing lanes and 2+1 can’t understand the big accident risk with some- they’re ideal in places already upgraded to wide two lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

2+1 on the N20 is terrible. People will drive at 80kph holding everyone up on the single sections and will up their speed to over 100kph on the 2 lane sections to stop people overtaking them.

Plenty of cases of Lorrie’s taking the entire length of a 2 lane section to pass each other. Complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Ballyvourney to Killarney is a great road, and a really fun drive. I generally haven't had problems on that section apart from the occasional slow driver before the climbing lanes, but it is fine I think for many many years.

If the N22 got any more attention it simply must be Ovens - Macroom, but I fear that is also many many years away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Newsletter #13 published this morning. Final section opening this coming Monday 6 Nov.

http://www.n22bbm.ie/nuachtlitir-uimh-13-newsletter-no-13/

Google Maps has removed the N status from the old national road in preparation for the opening of the final section I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

You're always going to have poor drivers but the reality was that the pilot implementations of the 2+1 road types were done on the cheap with poor levels of segregation and badly designed junctions. I remember using the N24 one a few times and hating it, especially at night time. it doesn't surprise me that people drove poorly on them.

I think if they had been done in a decent manner people would have become used to them over a period of time. It would definitely be an improvement on some of the WS2 roads we have now that still contain drivers at 80kph holding everyone up with no ability to overtake at all.

Any this is slightly off topic. Look forward to seeing some images from the new section when it opens next week. It's not a road I'm likely to drive given my location but always happen to see improved infrastructure come onstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Traffic levels on N20 were too high for 2+1, especially a 2+1 with frequent junctions as was done there. In the Nordic countries that use this road type, it’s mainly seen on remote rural stretches, with 5-10 km between junctions. The main purpose is to allow safe passing, not to add capacity.

The purpose-built 2+1 on N2 Clontibret-Castleblaney is more like the original use-case for this road type (AADT is 11,000 unlike N20 which is around 17,000), and it has performed well, but as an offline new-build, it wasn’t a whole lot cheaper than building as 2+2.

Anyone know what time the final section is opening tomorrow? Think the first two were around 10/11am? Will probably have to drive through Ballyvourney tomorrow morning then so, for what will likely be the last time for a very long time.

You do realise that the usual politicians and cute hoors will have to all be present at the "look how great we are" grand opening don't ya? They won't be doing that at stupid o clock in the morning. It'll be done in the middle of the day for maximum exposure so that every journalist who scoops this sh*te up will be there to report on it. So enjoy the last nostalgic drive through BallyV!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Do you think it'll kill a few businesses in Ballyvourney or just put a dent in their profits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

But all the tourists will skip it.

I think Macroom might see a bit of a boom in terms of housing and population.

• Advertisement
Advertisement