Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cheddar Bob

Does anybody else find the dominence of Romayos a bit of a pain in the hoop, to the detriment there's feck all other chippers left with a chance?

Clonsilla. Ongar. Carpenterstown. And feckin 2 in the village right beside each other.

There's 21 in the whole country but 5 within spitting distance of each other.

I wouldn't mind but as chippers go they are far from God tier- their chips are bang average, the kebabs/ wraps fall apart in your hands and theyre scabby as you like with pizza toppings (their chicken burger is admittedtly the dogs nads). Their prices are taking the Michael and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Despise them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their chips are far from average; they're complete muck. Shipped in frozen and appear to be single fried. And their burgers seem to be made of the squishiest gunk that passes for beef.

And yes, they charge through the nose for what they sell so they could easily have better ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I think Giulios in Mulhuddart is nicer.

Their food is great but I've had one problem with them, it sounds minor but it's just annoying. I have a porch door that opens (ie it doesnt slide) and one particular driver will swing the door wide open, and as soon as he hands me the food will walk away leaving it open meaning I'll have to step outside onto the often cold wet ground with nothing on my feet. After a while I just decided that every time I'd order from them I'd lock the porch door so I open it just enough to exchange food for money and then close it.

Even as I type it, it seems a petty thing to be getting wound up about but it did wind me up 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Have a look at this the last time I ordered from them

https://goo.gl/maps/WQ2C2iWPDrdRXecW7

• Advertisement

Seriously. Frozen chipper chips is a war crime. Chicken is good and their chicken burger is to die for (special sauce) but I've not had their fish and if its as bang average and pricey as the rest....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If I'm getting chipper in Blanchardstown village I get Romayos over Macari. Big difference even though technically same company. Plus I've never had someone pee on the floor in front of me in the queue in Romayos

Post edited by Caranica on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mizzoni is an entirely different company though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭raheny red

Giulios, Mulhuddart chips are excellent. Added bonus of a sprinkle of chips with battered sausage last week. I rarely order a chipper but haven't had chips thrown in for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Advertisement

Nasty. I was strolling by a few weeks ago. 3 lads walked across from the Greyhound with full pints. Something you'd see at 3am at the weekend. But this was about 6ish on a Sunday evening. They went right in behind the counter. They may have been employees but I think something more sinister was going on......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The scabbiest portion of chipper chips going. I'll never buy from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

I could murder a bag of chips now.

Aside from that,

The Romayos chicken is good, its the reason I go to them.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Their scabbyness and their extortionate pricing is even more galling given that as a 21 outlet empire they are in a better position to bulk buy from suppliers at lower cost than would be cheaper independent outlets.

I'd imagine it's all the same suppliers.

Romayo's started out as a Macaris IIRC (not all Macari's are a chain, there's several branches of the same family who had their own thing going with one or a few shops each, I Google Mapped and there's at least 27 of them within recommended distance, probably not all family owned any more as Romanians etc bought out a lot of the shops they worked in since around when the CT started) but the difference between Romayo's and, say, Macari's where the church in Finglas was, is night and day, absoluitely no comparison in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I remember Macaris in Carpenterstown and used to get a bag of chips in there as I would have done for the previous 30 odd years all over Dublin and they would fill a bag pop it in a bigger bag and then basically double it by throwing in another couple of scoops.

then they became Romayos and the scoops stopped. I quizzed them and they told me that it was always like that. I called bullshit but they stood firm in their dreamworld.

anyway, unless I’ve been in the Carpo and am gagging for a few chips to soak up the pints (rare) on the walk home, I’ll nearly always go to San Marino or Dario’s. Dario’s I find quite hit and miss quality wise. San Marino heading the way of Romayos,

anyway it’s all good for the belly cause I deffo eat a lot less chippers nowadays 🤣😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mr_Messy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Reba Ongar is gone after 19 years.

Quite a large spot. I wonder what will take it's place

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I find the chips from Romayos huge! One bag easily enough for two

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Hopefully a decent chipper or curry shop. Not enough of them in Ongar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I remember when Xtravision had that unit! I'm surprised Ongar's (and Hansfield) only hair or beauty salon for women is closing. I thought there would be a large enough catchment area for it to be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭17togo

I've heard it's because the rent was put up, and there's going to be a Spar going in there. If true I'd imagine the news agent won't last too long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Ah that would be a pity if the newsagents went. It has a nice local feel to it with a great range of greeting cards, stationery and household items you'd never get in a Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Does anyone know what is happening with the Roselawn Shopping Centre?

Roselawn Hardware closed now for a year and no sign of a replacement. It was supposed to be another hardware store

Sheridans Pharmacy has now opened in a double space. I was hoping that they would be a joint shop where you could purchase stuff from the previous health store along with it being a pharmacy. It seems it is just a pharmacy with the same stock in a bigger space. To me....its a waste of space.

Bakery...does anyone know what the timeline is to this opening?

Boots...Is it closing? If it does, I reckon Tesco will do a refurb and incorporate it into the supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tesco don't own the centre, I think that's what's been holding back their store refresh that you see happening elsewhere, so doubt they'd be allowed to merge where Boots is into their premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

It’s a real shame about Reba. A big loss to Ongar and a lot of people now out of work and by the look of it they didn’t get much notice. It always seemed busy, I hope they start up elsewhere for a more reasonable rent if that’s the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fatnacho

Tried to buy gift vouchers on a few occasions from Reba before Christmas but they said they were sold out and waiting for new ones. Seemed a bit odd not having them available during their busiest trading time. Owners obviously knew the writing was on the wall. Fair play to them for not taking the cash and running.

Not sure if it's been mention but the medical centre in Tyrrelstown is closing down.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just spotted in Facebook a new kitchen/sandwich bar opening at Beechwood Eco Farm next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Glossy1

Advertisement