Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Was in once and got a coffee and I am guessing the owner was a gentleman so hopefully does well

Plus I always said Shackleton gardens was missing even a vending machine so hopefully this fills that gap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Any idea what's going into the old Argos in West end? Signage says new store coming soon... Or is that just a ploy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Furniture and bed shop if the planning application I saw for new signage is to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

The old Iceland store in Mountview has food images and "coming soon" logos for Tesco (while not actually stating Tesco) on the windows. I believe they were waiting on planning permission for an off licence which they must have received if the windows have these signs up. The off licence in Sammons pub next door won't be happy with the competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Glossy1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We could do with a Jysk and/or The Range. Have both in Liffey Valley now, mad that we've neither in Blanch

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

"furniture and bed" sounds like Jysk

I think it might be Jysk too as they go for those type of medium size retail park units and usually add a mezzanine floor. It's too small for The Range which usually needs larger units similar in size to Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

It's neither JYSK nor the Range from what I can recall, I'm afraid. The application had 2 different brands on it that I couldn't recall when I posted before but checked now and the signs were for Dreams and Sofatime. They look to be set up as still a single unit a bit like how Heatons and SportsDirect operated though.

The application reference on Fingal planning website is FW23A/0357 if you want to see more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's a business closing, not opening but hopefully will be replaced by a new venture

• Advertisement

Only in it the other day and had a debate/talked down to over my travel cup being too big for a flat white. Give the customer what they asked for or offer too fill it up (even extra cost)

Hopefully not one of the usual branded places like they ruined castle town house with

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I was always disappointed with their products though, After a run/walk/messin' about whatever I'd always swing by for a coffee and treat but their cakes etc always looked better than they tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GHendrix

Not surprised, the park is mainly empty these days. Sad to see it go though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They did a really nice carrot cake which we had multiple times during lockdown when you were allowed to go 5kms only. We'd go to the park on a Saturday or Sunday morning for a long walk followed by a tea and cake or maybe one of their sausage rolls. I was never disappointed, it's a while since I've been there now as I don't live as close.

As expected another large soulless group/brand etc to come in and do the same old same old

I don't think that will get them in the door, might as well have given it too Costa, Starbucks etc go all in

https://thewrightgroup.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No it's not.

I wouldn't call the Wright Group soulless either, they've some good premises within their umbrella.

Post edited by Hurrache on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have to agree with you, much less people walking around the park. Now Farmleigh and the Zoo have seen increased numbers but outside of that, the number of people using the Park has decreased. OPW will use the increased Farmleigh and Zoo numbers to bolster their case.

Well from what I have seen with castletown house and even battle of the boyne visitor centre, these mass ran places dont work.

In the battle of the boyne they try to hide they are Brambles ran and then there was war when funny enought Brambles took over in Castletown house.

I was not the number one fan of the phoneix cafe, but a lot of people are and social media posts saying the owners names etc. What will brambles do, generic staff on minimun pay, generic menu with the same over over inflated margins, as I said they may as well have put a costa etc in it

I know when I go for a coffee I try my best going too non branded ones (the hourse box years was a running joke though) rather than the same production line coffee thrown at you by a worker who doesnt care

Hardly a ringing endorsement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Seriously!

All the complaints and they haven't even had a chance to start as yet. Still another week or so to go.

Added to that, it is incredibly difficult for independent businesses to survive these days.

Ask yourselves how often you visit some of these places (1 or more times a week, once or twice a month, every few months) and how much you spend each time.

Always sad to see independent businesses close, but the reality is that costs don't get paid by fairweather customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Work has started on the new bakery in Roselawn. https://www.brownbagbakery.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I really liked the Phoenix Cafe but it's menu lacked choices for people who wanted plainer choices, for kids etc. But enjoyed many a visit there. Parking became a bit of an issue of late. IMO. Be interesting to see what Wrights do.

Wasn't really a everyday sort of a place though was it.

Always looks quieter to me too.

Those two places are busier because they've got good parking.

The boat house in Farmleigh has got particularly expensive I thought. Maybe I've just become poorer.

As far as I remember the Boathouse is run by Brambles, isn't it? I find all of their outlets are expensive and glad they didn't take over the Visitor's cafe and the Tea Rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

Has anyone tried Burgers Only? They seem to bounce between Junction 6 and the 12th Lock. All these burger businesses seem a bit samey but will give them a go the next time I'm on the canal.

Yes. It is Brambles at Farmleigh...or was last summer when I was last there. Its a lovely setting especially on fine days sitting out on the decking over the water but the menu always seems a little uninspiring and as you said, pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Had it a while back and it's very good, but junction 6 not really a place I want to be eating a big burger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭raheny red

I grabbed one yesterday at the 12th Lock. Excellent burger and fantastic service. Yeah, I get what you mean. A couple of tables and a few chairs - "Daddy, why are you eating in the car park"? :) They open at 11am on weekends, perfect if you've had a rake of pints the night before.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Twelfth Lock is that closed/open what's the story? I haven't been down that way in a long time

Advertisement