Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Sono

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Very dry and mix of sizes, perhaps some have a larger bark % / branches. Larger pieces lasting 2-3 hours at slow burn.

ive had beech from tj , olive wood and mulberry. I’d say these are up there with price / performance.

one benefit is you can split smaller pieces and use as kindling

one disadvantage is mess from bark

Overall 8/10 for 300 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭geographica

Has anyone any idea how all the crates of logs are packed? Are they stacked by hand into the crates. The mind boggles how efficiently packed most of these crates are.

Be some job if you were to do it by hand! Taking them off a crate is very time consuming so can't imagine what it would be like stacking them neatly!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think they do it by hand but likely a bit more efficiently than you think. Logs are cut to 25cm lengths in a machine then they move on to a conveyor belt, the end of the conveyor belt has an empty crate underneath it that the logs drop off in to. Staff will let say 30 logs drop at a time into the crate then stop the conveyor while they turn the logs to get triangular shapes to slot in to each other as best they can. Then they start the conveyor again and let another 30 logs drop into it and repeat the process until the crate is full. The full crate is then moved by forklift and stacked on top of others for storage before distribution.

Its still time consuming but nowhere near as time consuming as having a pile of logs on the ground behind you and bending over hundreds of times to pick up 5 or 6 of them and then hand stacking them into the crate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Apologies for very late "tomorrow". Even though that's local guy (East Mayo) I owe you review.

Here's a trailer loaded:

...and unloaded.

Unable to assess cubic meter thingy, so try other way - neatly packed two large crates (one's seen empty just in front of you), 16 medium crates (seen in the background), 1 loosely loaded wheelbarrow (left) and two small crates (one seen above, one below).

Split few logs for kindlings and to measure moisture - the ones I kept at home overnight had 11-15%, the ones kept in the shed just for one night had 16-20%. And I am really surprised of that much difference.

Anyway, I am happy with the purchase. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Anyone using Willowwarm. What are your thoughts on them in terms of value?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭SteM

I know this is very niche but this seems like a decent price if you want to buy bags and are in the area

Breathhnachs in Tallaght/Old Bawn area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

STORM5 - extra 5% off at Rathwood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭djdunny

Folks - slightly off topic but whats the best way to store the logs - I was planning on stacking them in the shed. The shed is free from damp. Should I be ok or should I look at putting it somewhere that has a bit more airflow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭spark_tank

If they're well seasoned or kiln dried logs you don't need to worry about airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Tjomahony has the kiln dried beech down to €299 again.

I know a lot has happened since but I got that for €189 once upon a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭pauly58

We bought a pack to try them, they catch readily, flame well & burn for a good time. Good heat output as well. We use a little coal with some timber mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I bought the Rathwood "small" pallet mix. The 10kg packs of eco logs are nice and burn well for a couple of hours. The birch I am flying through but it does burn hot.

Previously I have used the Log Shed (he only does barrow and dumpy bags but I'm not far from his store & often he'll deliver next day). And heating solutions in Malahide who mostly sell bags (though its frustrating waiting for delivery & paying 20 euro when living 5 miles away and the amount I was buying could probably be stuffed into the car). Both will wheel in for you.

Have been looking at the Dublin logs website but there isn't a lot left in stock now. I do whizz through a lot of wood as I bought a house with no proper central heating, only a load of broken storage heaters and 2 panel heaters that work but the timers are broken on. I got the (also broken) propane gas fire disconnected from the line to outside & a Henley inset fitted - and it does work unless its below freezing, if anything often its hotter than I need the house to be. I estimate I'll spend about 6-700 on wood this season which is not bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

The 4 for 25 euro deal on Willow Warm in Woodies is a good deal. I have used them a bit to supplement logs when I was waiting on a new delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

5 for €30 for Willow Warm in TJ O'Mahony have been using them for about a year now very good heat and easy to store . Use a pack per day ..

Rathwood have some great deals on at the minute but I’m a bit hesitant, can anyone tell me what the kiln dried ash/birch is like? I’ve been using Monahan’s and their wood is excellent but pricey, if anyone can recommend somewhere else close to Dublin and has good deals on logs it would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CurlyEng

IMHO Rathwood stuff is good. Got birch in November it is dry and burns well. Birch heats (and burns) fast.

however their delivery is not good. Ordered oak on 6th Jan. delivery keeps slipping out to now….. 20th Feb 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I could not fault the delivery from Rathwood to be honest, but I got bags not a crate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Where can I get large crates of oak? Monahans out of stock (€619), rathwood March delivery (€459), don't use premium pellets. National delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭wassie

They seem to have a perpetual sale on. I purchased the 33 item pallet for €140 then. Can be had now for €135 with 10% offer. But generally seems to be around that price. Deliver for me took 3 days. All pallets are sent via the pallet network which is generally fairly reliable.

Thanks for the replies, I do like Monahan’s but their prices are steep and they don’t ever seem to do deals at all which is annoying.

A crate I ordered in October for €319 now costs me €379 which is frustrating when Rathwood have such good deals, maybe I will take the plunge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

• Registered Users Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭wassie

On their website

Not working on wood, at least not for me 🤔

Anyone get it to work on crates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Works on everything except fuel from what I can see, not sure why

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭CurlyEng

Did anyone improve their delivery time by calling them?

Yep was told it was on furniture only 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone have experience of crates from Kenny Fuels, Wexford?

Advertisement