Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 BizTalker

An old thread, but just to clear few facts, Ecologs.ie offered to collect the pallet free of charge and refund the order in full, this was unacceptable and inconvenient for the customer to put out the pallet with the product in the front of their property for the couriers to collect, and instead the customer agreed to take 50% discount/refund off the purchase price and keep the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

delete

Post edited by frash on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭SteM

Got this https://www.rathwood.com/cp/hardwood_firewood_1m_400kg_kiln_dried_logs_pallet/15011

for €195 back in October using their easy pay thingy as I didn't need wood at the time. The last payment was 3rd December and it was delivered on the 6th. I've just unpacked it into the log store and I've got to say it's rubbish. At least 30% of it is like large piecrs of kindling, certainly not like any logs I've bought in the past. I'll burn it over the winter but will not be buying from them in the future no matter how cheap they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

That’s the same size they have in the photo isn’t it ? Looks like it’s designed for a small stove

The internet isn’t for everyone

We have a small stove in our living room, these pieces would be small even in our small stove. Even my wife, who just knows that wood appears in the pile beside the stove but doesn't question how it gets there, commented that the pieces were tiny when I was bringing them through. I felt like I was in some bizzare challange in squid games, carry sticks from a to b.

• Advertisement

You should complain but when you do maybe dont say you’ve stacked them

I would tell them the wood is not fit for purpose and you are not happy at all because they won’t last in the stove

I think they will send more wood or offer you a partial refund

Yeah, I complained to them already. It is what it is, I just wanted to let people here know. Maybe others will be luckier than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Stupid question, but if they are sold by weight or cubic capacity, does if matter what size the pieces are.

The bags we got were smaller than I might have expected, nothing to write home about, but it was good and dry birch.

Smaller pieces burn faster.

Yes I usually separate small from big for this reason, small ones are great for starting fires

• Advertisement

Rathwood have lower prices today. So went with another bulk order.

It does burn fast, but at those prices I couldn't refuse, and I was fairly impressed with how well they delivered the last batch a few weeks ago.

I've found my purchase from them to be a false economy tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The oak burns much faster than expected. Almost double the amount of logs going into the stove vs TJ O'Mahoneys beech logs I got for the last two years.

from my experience beech is denser and tends to burn hotter and longer than oak

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

I’m burning through the 400kg of birch from Rathwood at an awful rate. And we have a very small stove that we tend to only keep ticking over.

As already mentioned, the pieces are ridiculously small on average. I wouldn’t buy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's designed to leave as many empty gaps as possible in the crate.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Anyone buy the netted bags from Rathwood? Thinking of ordering the 60 * 13 kg bags for e349. E5.82 a bag. Better offers elswhere or will I just be wasting money? Not sold on the pallets reading the feedback here.

That is what I went for. It does burn very fast, they are not big blocks.

But it is good and dry and I think I'd get 3/4 months out of it for 350 notes delivered. I decided to go for it and not think about wood again until next autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

400kg pallet has been fine for me. I am mixing with coal though.

• Advertisement

I am using Stove Coal from EcoGlow. The smokeless ovoids won't flame up so much, and so the Rathwood birch sitting on a bed of it is a reasonable combination. For now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Sono

ordered a pallet of ash from Monahans for €319 back in October, rang today and same pallet is now €379, some increase.

I’m debating what to do now, still have a small amount left and the wood was excellent that I got but the price increase is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Greengrass53

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Each to their own. I find adding blocks to a base of smokeless ovoids gives me extra heat quickly on a cold night. Putting in extra coal doesn't give as much extra heat and the effect is slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In general and from past experience I would stay well away from any firewood sold by Aldi, Lidl and petrol stations because it is all softwood and it burns too quickly and gives very little heat. Ive lit fires with it before at 8pm and you've ran out of logs at 10.30pm and the room gets cold so the heating has to go on, a waste of time. Ive also been caught out by damp wood from Aldi before and since then have seen an Aldi with an entire pallet of firewood sitting getting splashed by rain outside their shop.

Dunnes sell hardwood which is much better but also a lot more expensive, about 10 euro a bag at this point when it used to be 7 euro in winter of 2022.

On moisture meters Id bought one in Aldi last year which stopped working about 9 months later. Brought it back with receipt but they said as it was past 6 months since purchase I had to ring up some UK number to get a refund. Of course no one ever answered that number. So when they were on sale again last week I bought another one with the intention of swapping them out and getting a refund on the first one immediately. But now it turns out that moisture meter no.2 doesnt work either. So now Ive two broken units (Aldi brand called Ferrex) and I wont be buying one from there again.

Echo the above, steer well clear of Aldi/lidl/petrol stations for fuel, often left out in the rain and absolutely awful to light, pure shite.

Anyone ever buy logs from Finglas Fuels? Appreciate any feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Same here, absolutely pissing through it. And it hasnt even been that cold!

Gonna grab a 100kg of Oak or Ash to mix it up.

Anyone got a good place to get that?

Advertisement