Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

“1.1m” pallet arrived today , measured internal dimension of pallet and it adds up to .6m cubed of logs

external dimensions 0.7 high, 1.1 wide, 1.0 deep = 0.77m

. Probably Still good value for €150

edit: just offloaded onto shed, about 6 wheelbarrows full. Not a huge amount of wood when stacked.

Birch logs, more kindling than logs TBH. Look scrawny alongside the oak i bought from TJ O’Mahony

Post edited by mun1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

You must either have the largest wheelbarrow known to man or you're deliberately misleading people.

I filled 10 normal wheelbarrows (see photo) from one of these crates and went on to fill my shed for about 40% less than I paid TJ O'Mahoney 6 months ago.

150 quid is great value in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

How about you stick to the facts, rather than acting all keyboard warrior .

its not 1.1m of stacked logs, its .6m . Fact or not ?

and you’re sh1te at loading a wheelbarrow :). A lazy man’s load

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Launching tomorrow The Best Wheelbarrow Loader Championship. First Prize - 1.1/0.6m crate of wood

edit :

"stick to the facts"

hee hee. well done, whether you meant it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

I think he wins that competition, given his propensity to get his measuring tape out and to look at his wheelbarrow like it's a scientific packing problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Rightplace2016

Got the 150 pallet of logs and filled 2 coal bunkers with a wheelbarrow amount left over..sizes were decent with only small portion of small wood.. burns very easy as is so dry.. only issue is speed of burning as we are used to oak and coal.. not used to birch so might buy some oak or coal to mix with it as we went through log basket in almost a day. Lovely look to fire due to high rate burning of wood and sound.. only other issue was delivery.. we have lives for 10 years on house with no delivery issues and pallet courier used wanted actual directions instead of eircode which was unusual and when they arrived they couldn't get into our drive which was first due our large drive so he left it outside next to road.. not the friendliest guy who blamed narrow road and said I should have warned him about road .. wouldn't order again so as not to have to deal with that ..

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Sheedy234

So I bought 1.2m3 bags of birch for 129 and am happy with albeit is does burn quick . Torn between trying the 1.85m3 pallet of oak for 350 for longer burning time. Has anyone bought both any thoughts on it please ?

the 1.85m3 oak is showing at 369 for me? but that's still decent - iirc that was over 400 the last time i looked. For my next order i'm thinking of getting large pallet of the birch and smaller pallet of oak

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Sheedy234

If you opt for the later delivery slightly cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭geographica

Can anyone tell me if the way this pallet truck is lifting the pallet is the actual way it arrives?

Had a mare from another supplier where that was blocked off and it was delivered widthways

• Advertisement

forgot to attach picture and now it wouldn’t let me to the above post

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dubguy45

That should be the way it arrives. It's the only proper way to do it. The delivery truck is big enough and has a tail lift. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pacman114

Has anyone bought the 1.85m pallet from rathwood? What's the quality like compared to the likes of Monahan's etc?

https://www.rathwood.com/cp/oak_firewood_1_85m_800kg_kiln_dried_logs_jumbo_pallet/15311

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭dubguy45

What the picture shows is the average size of the logs, that is fairly small. The price is great but use depends on personal requirements at home and having had four deliveries, the log size is too small overall to be economical for me but could be fine for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

My brother bought the 3x100kg bags and 3 kindling for around the €210 mark. I didn’t struggle to move them. I’m unsure if they were worth it.

i bought the tonne bag version for €140. Very dry and burns rapidly but great hear. I reckon the framed pallets while dearer are better value. Seems to be more wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Packed up my RW 1.85 m2 crate this afternoon. I can see why some people are complaining about them. Compared to the 2x1.1m3 crate the logs are definitely smaller. Some were kindling sized. In general they’re smaller than the other crate. I’d say they’ll burn down quicker being a smaller size in some cases. Actually some were quite small to the point where I reckon I’ll be able to throw them on charcoal in my pizza oven so I don’t mind that too much.
    I git about 5( fertilizer bags out of the crate. That compares to about 50 from the other crate, however the other crates logs weee a little bigger. Still fair value I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

if you still have the crate could you measure up the internal dimensions (width, height, depth) of it? Im interested to buy the 1.85m crate but just unsure how much is in it

Rathwood are having a final clearance sale, most recent email says "last chance" (it probably isn't) but sale ends midnight tonight

800kg birch was 279 earlier this evening, now 299 (i paid 349 back in december)

800kg oak is now 349

800kg Oak is out of stock

I’m not sure when the sale actually ends! It’s filled over again for another few weeks. There’s fair value in oak and birch at the moment. Might buy a bit more down the line

• Advertisement

except they’re not really because you can book them at todays price and get them delivered in 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

Got 400kg of oak delivered yesterday from rathwood, it was a €219. Much happier with the oak than the birch we got from them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

how long does that last you? I know it depends how much you light your fire or if it’s a stove, but trying to get a gauge how much oak I would need for a season…

Not sure to be honest. I have birch left over from a order in December so I won't be burning the oak until next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭reggie3434

• Advertisement

Oak generally burns longer than birch. The pieces of oak are larger than the pieces of birch I got in the last delivery too.

Advertisement