Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France v Ireland 8pm Freeday Feb 2 24 rte two.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

Tend to agree with this snd it’s reinforced by ROGs comments last year about the appeal of going as high as possible in tackles. It’s also reinforced by the fact that some teams are serial offenders while others aren’t, suggesting it’s tactical rather than always just poor discipline. In that case rather than onfield scores it might be wise to think about competition pints, like the equivalent of a red card costs a point in the table. Knockouts more difficult but if it costs teams a place in the knockouts or home advantage then that puts more pressure on coaches than a card might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

One think they need to sort out is managibg whoever is in charge of getting the replays to the TMO, it's not the first time where the replay has either been slow or even worse has shown the wrong angle footage to the TMO.

You could see that ben Whitehouse was visibly frustrated when trying to do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

No team in the professional era has done back to back grand slams. And it’s only been done twice in the history of the tournament. England in 91/92 and Wales in 1908/09. Anyone turning their nose up at a back to back grand slam is just being mind bogglingly daft. Anyone turning their noses up at it for a RWC SF must be cracked.

Theres been some awful nonsense spouted by some incredibly dour posters on this thread. If Irish fans can’t take joy from that game on Friday then I just pity them.

Also, I’m sure these have been posted for TRCs benefit already, but just in case…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭ersatz

Dupont tearing it up at ten for Toulouse this weekend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=93vMWquDi4o&pp=ygUOVG91bG91c2UgcnVnYnk%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Nailed it

World Cups and 6 Nations should be treated and celebrated (or mourned!) independently.

That French side that won B2B Grand Slams in ‘97 and ‘98 were the 1st, and last, side to do it in the professional era.

(5th time in the history of the championship)

If Ireland achieve that, and I think they will, it wouldn’t shock me if they went on to become the first side ever to win 3 consecutive Slams!!

We can’t bury our heads in sand now all the same. This is a relatively old Irish team.

12 Players are 30 or over from the 23 vFrance

The French side of 1998 were also exceptional and also exceptionally young.

I think they only had 2 players 30 or over in the entire squad!!

Hooker Dal Maso (31) and the FB Sourdouny (31), and he didn’t play in the ‘99 RWC.

That side in true French fashion then ‘won’ the Wooden Spoon in the 1999 5 Nations and finished runner up at the ‘99 RWC.

We should enjoy this for as long and as much as we can. It can’t last forever!

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Was hoping to watch it back again but didn't get a chance yet, some thoughts... it was hard to fault any of the players to be honest when you take their performances on the whole. Was very disappointed in the French, as time has passed I've wondered is a certain amount of the scoreline down to them being particularly poor on the night. Time will tell I guess when we see their performances over the rest of the tournament, but still, not many go to France and put up the score we did. Kudos to POC and co. for sorting the lineout. Scrum is still a bit of a worry.

France, England and Wales are in a state of transition either with players or coaches, much more than us... the Slam should very much be on to be honest after that result.

15 - his usual composed self, super performance

14 - very encouraging debut, took his try well on the opposite wing, was looking for work and made the most metres of any player on the pitch. Offers something different to Lowe

13 - thought Henshaw went well bar getting all at sea in one French attack in the second half. A bugbear of mine with Ringrose is he doesn't bring his wingers in to play as much as he should... Henshaw seems more open to the pass than cutting back in against the grain. Four offloads throughout the game

12 - made some hard yards and carries, our best option at 12 still

11 - that big boot of his with the wind in the first half relieved us of a lot of pressure at times. Superb read in the second half, important moment

10 - some dodgy kicks in the first half had knives being sharpened by some but he was brilliant with ball in hand I thought outside of that and grew into the game. Encouraging debut performance away in France

9 - thought he was great, nice to see him on the scoreboard as he doesn't get many for us. Great tempo, his fitness levels must be off the charts.

8 - started slow but was everywhere by the second half. Made as many metres as Lowe with ball in hand.

7 - industrious defensively with 10 tackles (4 missed). Had 9 carries but didn't make much ground.

6 - imperious in the lineout and had an important steal on the ground under the cosh. Matched JvdF's industriousness with 10 tackles and 1 missed. Handled the ref well. Quiet with ball in hand (hardly touched it!) but I don't think that's his role

5 - I know McCarthy got the plaudits and the MOTM... but I thought Beirne was on a whole other level to every other player on the pitch. Lineout takes and steals, metres made with ball in hand, steals on the deck, the try, tackles, he was leading the stats on a whole range of metrics. Sensational performance, as good if not better than the one in NZ. Himself and POM bossed the lineout

4 - McCarthy was a great foil to Beirne's style of play. Got through mountains of dirty work, punched holes in their gainline every time he got the ball. Our top tackler with 14, driving them backwards at times. Won't be happy with the penalty and 5 missed tackles but for a debut performance away in France was excellent. Took some lineout ball also if I remember rightly. Lovely moment with his brother afterwards. A performance to give Ryan and Henderson some food for thought

3 - Not the force he was, evident in his workrate round the pitch.

2 - Lineout went very well and he was great in attack and defence.

1 - Conceded 5 penalties (rest of the team... 8)... I'll bow to BJ Botha's superior knowledge on the scrum ones he mentioned in his tweets but to my eye he was boring in on some of the overhead shots I saw of other scrums. Tackles and carried well and was a menace at the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And what of your first choice player that often has to leave the field?

I think we are seeing sanctions for head hit not actually being effective. Since its become a red card its not been happening any noticeably less

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

One of Porter's penalties was an absolute joke I thought. French ball carrier not held in the tackle, falls and knocks Porter over, next French player falls over Porter. Penalty? It was Keystone Kops stuff, no tackle, offside, ruck or anything just lads falling over one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,996 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Atonio is a serial belly flopper, he absolutely should've copped a penalty or two. I do question why the team hasn't tightened up their body positions tho. We consistently have our 6 binding kicked out, which I could see adding to a ref's perception that Porter is boring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

Scheduling and workload. He needs to train with France sevens and play a minimum number of tournaments on the sevens circuit to qualify for the Olympic squad. I've watched Toulouse play a few times recently and it looks like that he's dropped 5Kg+ of muscle due to all the extra cardio work for the sevens.

He does seem superhuman on the pitch at times but there's a limit to how many training camps you can commit to and how much workload his body can take.

• Advertisement

What part of sheduling and workload has him playing 15 a side Top14 rugby at 10?

How many tournaments does he need to play to qualify?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Dupont played at 10 for Toulouse. He looked very good.

That block down and pass for Akhi's try was unreal.

Is there even the slightest chance Dupont doesn't get selected for the Olympics?

There is a bit of clarity here, but it begs the question why they didnt include him for the Irish game and then replace him for the rest of the 6N.

Following Toulouse’s Top 14 victory over Bayonne, where Dupont was once again an influential figure, the 27-year-old will now join up with the France sevens side.

He will take part in the next two legs of the World Rugby SVNS series, which are being hosted in Vancouver (February 23-25) and Los Angeles (March 2-3) as he looks to get accustomed to the sport ahead of the Olympics.

He has the skills and ability for it, and im sure the french authorities of both rugby 7’s, the olympics and government would like to see him there.

The number I'd heard was three but I see you liked an article above where they only mentioned two.

Dupont is good enough to turn up and play out of position at 10 for Toulouse with just some very light training and off pitch prep. He's played there often enough for them. A France 6N camp and test matches is a completely different level of intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭blackwhite

You’d have to wonder if France had won the RWC would Dupont be bothered about the 7s?

Get an impression that this is a bit of a consolation prize so he can try again to win a global tournament, for France, with a final in Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

Was it not announced before the RWC that he'd be taking a break to concentrate on the Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Are second rows any more likely to commit high tackles? I sometimes wonder if they struggle to get down to tackle a much shorter player.

• Advertisement

Really heavy players are, more so than really tall players, in my view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Went with some friends to Marseille for this and it was incredible. I'm not much of a rugby man but the atmosphere alone was incredible. Went to the Aix-en-Provence for the Under 21s and that was well worth the trek as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

The TMO has operators that sit beside him in the same room, they queue up the replays for him to view. Must have gotten a poor video operator beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They rely on the TV operator who runs the cameras etc. In the case of the World Cup this was been run by the World Cup

For the 6 nations it is the local provider, UK is BBC or UTV, Ireland is RTE/Virgin and then for France it is the French channel which shows up.

So in this situation the delay seemed to be with the French, not a surprise. How quick did the replays come up when it was the Crowley knock on to reverse the penalty. How slow was it when the potentially knock on/yellowcard/penalty try

That is for the TV replays. For the TMO they have direct access to the feed and can see all angles replays etc. There is 3 or 4 people in a room with dedicated workstations. 2 or 3 operators who pick out the clips at angles/speeds and line them up for the TMO to review.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They still rely on the camera feeds from the TV company. As we seen at the weekend the feeds came very quickly when the decision was in France favour

Even the amount of time it took to get the red card replays was extremely long compared to what happened in the WC

• Registered Users Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I imagine that the TMO is dependent on what is made available to him frommthe commercial TV provider otherwise it would mean that the TMO's video crew would have to be analysing all camera feeds throughout the match.

If the TV company picks and chooses the what it replays and from what angle it influences what the TMO can see.

Mind you I think the referee and his linesmen were poor as well and they seem to want to avoid certain decisions.

I the free against Crowley contesting the Garryowen survey the referee or TMO should have looked for the lower camera angle to see the impact the French player on the ground had on Crowley.

Slava Ukrainii

Nope. The operators can select whatever camera angle they want and view the incident from that angle. They have access to all feeds. There is no back and forth between the TMO box and the french TV crews. All camera feeds are uploaded to a server which the TMO operators can pick from, which camera, what speed etc.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Are the operators provided by the broadcaster, though? I get the impression they're local and not part of the "officials" team...

Advertisement