Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France v Ireland 8pm Freeday Feb 2 24 rte two.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As an interesting little aside, in the studium yesterday there was an explanation put up on the big screens after every whistle, with a little animation showing the reason for the call IE penalty for offside etc they showed the refs hand signals, and an animation of a player offside

They even had a graphic for a knock on, and text to explain what happened.

It was really good, despite me not being able to read the French.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some stats from last night's game. Apologies for how they're presented as it's stolen from Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Home side getting the marginal decisions would be expected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭Field east

Are they- were we not playing against a very poor French performance. It even lost a few of their own lineouts

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

This is an excellent idea, particularly in 6N matches where the majority of the attendance and the wider TV audience have had little or none experience with the Laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,064 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Was the TV director acting maliciously around the pictures he was sending to the TMO? I have never heard the TMO say he was 'not getting what he asked for'

Also did they show a view from behind for that maul try? Never looked a try to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The pen against crowley which led to the French try was a terrible decision. Two players going for a ball.

The Willemse YC (first one) was also wrong. He was never trying to be legal so mitigation goes out the window.

What I noticed about France is that when the kicker was kicking the ball having exited the scrum that He waited until a French player joined the scrum to lengthen . This gave the kicker more protection and less likely that the ball would not be knocked down. JGP did not request the ‘extra’ player and as a result his kick came close to being knocked down a few times. It also meant that JGP Could not get a lot of length into his kick. A very enjoyable game to watch - if only to watch France being beaten /slaughtered on their own soil and to see the newcomers playing so well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

IIRC it was very smart as they took abt 90 seconds off the YC period with that too between the scrum and the time taken to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Wonder will there be anything done about the delays in the TMO getting the right footage shown on screen. He seemed very frustrated with the interactions with the director. Also for those who remember all the hammering's Ireland used to get in France, I'll take the win anytime. First game though and not always a true indicator of a team and France will improve during the tournament, unless they bring the yips to Edinburgh again. Great start for Ireland, a loss yesterday and it makes for a very difficult tournament. That old adage about not being able to win the tournament on day one, but you can lose it.

The out half discussion is great, because it means we have options and we'll probably need them all. Injury will unfortunately play a huge part in who becomes the main 10 for the coming years. Same for the locks, Joe looks great and could have an amazing international career, but they are all only one unlucky hit or accident away from a career limiting injury.

Nash didn't look out of place and for the one that was given against him I thought that the second player on the ground had pulled him back, but obviously there wasn't a reply shown. Great first start for him.

• Advertisement

Crowley, telling Beirne it's happening, then when he receives the ball he draws the French defender before offloading to Beirne.

I'd say Beirne couldn't believe his luck.

I assume that u are referring to Crowley. As they say in America ‘ I would prefer to hire someone who has made 100 mistakes than someone who has made no mistake’

I missed this live so knew Nash had scored but while watching the replay I was sure the ball was going to be turned over here but the offload was something else, it made the try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Henshaw had quite a few big moments last night. He had a very good game. He and Aki completely outplayed Fickou and Danty (who was very poor).

If anyone comes across the Galthie post match reaction can you post a link please? Can’t find it anywhere.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who is counting .1s of metres and how/why? Apart from giving Aki 66.6

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Really underline just how good and prominent Tadhg Beirne was.

I don’t think his third test performance in NZ could be surpassed, but he came close yesterday.

The accuracy of Ireland’s handling and tackling was really noticeable on a watch back this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ireland targeted the ruck and made it impossible for France to attack with any speed. About the only time they managed quicker service was for the Penaud try.

It's telling that players like Alldritt carried so often, but for so few metres. Ireland slowed the ball at the ruck, reset in defence and pummelled the carrier.

Tonight was sa win for Simon Easterby and POC as much as anyone else.

"The pen against crowley which led to the French try was a terrible decision. Two players going for a ball"

Looked an obvious pen to me live.

"The Willemse YC (first one) was also wrong. He was never trying to be legal so mitigation goes out the window."

Ultimately irrelevant though. I just don't understand the obsession with railing against refereeing decisions when there's so much positive to talk about (including the majority of refereeing decisions).

I couldn't see the replays of the 2nd French try from where I was but after what seemed like 10 laborious minutes I just wanted them to get on with it and give the try and inject some kind of hope into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Fair play on the comments, Jack played well and as all the team did with no player not playing his part, the fact that the subs were introduced at the right time backed up what Rog said about Ireland being fitter than France and the likes of Tadhg lasting so long and not being fully gassed. Can’t get the anti provincial vibe when it comes to the Ireland team surely that should be left outside the stadium. The coaching staff had the game plan on the money for the French and in Andy Farrell seems to have the players whole trust and onward and upwards. Forget about the rugby World Cup in four and let this team win more in the present.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I never suggested he didn't; he was still a world class 10, which for his age was ridiculous. But the contention that he still brought it to the line isn't accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

TV director was also not showing replays of incidents that were a issue for France. He dud not show a replay of the the French knock that looked accidental but would have been a scrum at least to Ireland. Neither did he reshow the second Willemse high tackle until it was shown on the big svreen to the ref. The Irish commentators commented on the lack of certain replays.

BS the first Willemse decision was a disgrace by the refereeing staff. With the danger of head contact in rugby and the fact he committed the exact same foul within ten minutes of rejoining the game questions the ref and TMO decision on the first one.

When the second high tackle happened the referee or sideline officials took no action it was the TMO that bought it to there attention. Technically Willemse was a bad and dangerous tackler.

As well twice Gibson Park looked to lengthen the ruck and the ref stopped the player joining

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

All I’m saying is cards have utterly failed to reduce head contact. So back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

What’s the solution though?

There has definitely been a reduction in the numbers of incidents.

Even if they dramatically change the laws, the mechanism for enforcing them will still have to be cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,064 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Never noticed it at other games, is it a peculiarly French thing?

The only way cards prevent something is for there to be zero tolerance. There was no mitigation for Willemse first tackle, he was away too high going into the ruck. You either define that as a straight red if there is head contact. The second tackle he should have recieved the man a d bought him backwards instead of trying to get a heavy hit in. If you enforced e the rules you force players and coaches to adapt to them

This all stems from the WC where rugby administration officials decided thst they did not want a spate of red cards. Even the scrum is becoming downright dangerous. The number of replacements is adding to this issue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's always been a feature of French TV directors, they tend not to replay anything that's bad for France, and go overboard on anything they think is advantageous to them, e.g. the 'tackle' in the air.

Well, players and coaches have been given a chance. They've decided the reward for tackling high is greater than the risk, even with increased yellow/red cards. It was worth a shot but teams have rejected the idea of playing more safely.

So now we will inevitably see tackle heights lowered, penalties for hits that are currently legal and at some point teams will have to decide that giving up metres and offload opportunities is the lesser of two evils compared to being whistled off the park.

And inevitably lots of people will bemoan the lack of big hits and ask why we needed to fix something that wasn't broken.

Was it a different than normal French TV rugby crew. The game was in Marseille normally the games are in Paris was it this crew first international

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree what your saying, the TMO and the refs conversation can be heard which is a good thing and with Var in the soccer is more a closed thing with no reasoning for the decision, this is why I think rugby is way ahead of other sports. It always seems the French director shows only what they want to show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Did anyone understand the yellow card i think we got, for the collapsed french maul near our try line?

TMO was like, 'that's not what we want to see'.

Advertisement