Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France v Ireland 8pm Freeday Feb 2 24 rte two.

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

I actually thought Beirne was the best player on the pitch and would have given him MotM myself, but I do think the stats aren’t really capturing certain aspects of what made Joe McCarthy’s performance so good too.

McCarthy had multiple early carries r that obviously haven’t been classed as ‘line breaks’ by whoever compiled those stats, but where he powered past the gain line and dragged 2 French forwards with him.

He also had a lot of big hits and clear outs early on.

I think his role in laying down a marker and really establishing Ireland’s dominance up front from the outset were big factors in the French TV deciding to give him MotM. He was extremely visible in those early exchanges I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You are not hung up on it but instead of just praising Beirne for his performance you had to mention McCarthy and the MOM

Isn't it the home tv broadcaster who picks the MOM? that is the way it was before so it would have been French tv

FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭ersatz

I'd say Beirne was happy enough for Joe to get the recognition but the two together is a force of nature and a fearsome prospect for other coaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

Yeah. POTM on 6N debut would still be a decent story for them. Plus the French love a "grand cinq" even if Joe played with four on his back.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

So ultimately, if there's someone from the broadcaster or "home team" in the direct path of what gets shown to the ref, that's the problem for me.

Once there's a TMO referral, the independent operators working with the TMO should really have unrestricted control on the stadium screens. Whatever about the stuff that just gets replayed between plays, the broadcaster shouldn't have the ability to slow down the officials decision making process.

But anyway, can't see it changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭leakyboots

This place sometimes... swear to god. If anyone is getting hung up here it's this pearl clutching out of you, I even caveated the original comment to prevent this sort of nonsense. It's okay to praise both players and state an opinion on which of the two was supermoreamazingingbest without the other being seen as denigrated. That can co-exist. If you think McCarthy was better that's fine too by me. I was responding to a post about Beirne.

Both players played extremely well and I said as much post-match and their contrasting styles worked well together. I thought Beirne played better of the two in terms of being a contender for MOTM but I can see why McCarthy got it, for reasons above.

I don't care who gets it, it's a footnote usually decided by a random pundit (who usually hands it to a 10). I'm delighted McCarthy got it especially because of what happened afterwards with his brother. That's a moment that family will always treasure long after he's finished with the game.

As I said 3-4 players could have got MOM, as per my point you could of easily just posted Beirne had a great game. That is all I was pointing out.

Not sure you understand what "pearl clutching" means by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 VPNNoobie

Don't see why Joe is called "big Joe" and viewed as some kind of monster. He's the same height and weight as Henderson.

If we're being real, France won't be the same team as they were building up to a home world cup. I predict Galthie will last to the end of next years 6N at best.

Grand slam is now in the bag already and we're miles ahead of the competition.

A problem I see is it becomes too easy for us to dominate everything. We are the only country with an elite development structure. I was getting new zealand rugby pages pop up on my facebook feed the other day in awe of 40k people at the Munster/Crusaders match. They were down on the fact they don't have that anymore and were asking how they get that back.

No other union oversees the provinces like we do to put the international team first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Galthié seems utterly broken by the RWC. The French response has been straight from the handbook of what not to do after a heartbreaking exit.

Their captain decides not to play and instead opts for a different format of the game. That sends a bad message to the squad in itself.

Their coach says directly to the media: "Four years of consistent progress, the only objective was to be world champion..... We’ll be scarred for life and that’s part of our journey.”

How on earth are they supposed to get their squad to refocus when two of their most important leaders are absolutely broken and/or walking away publicly?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,720 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Came across some interesting smart-ball stats.

Crowley has the fastest pass of any 10 in the 6 Nations last week, and was getting 4 seconds hang time.

Sheehan had the most spin efficiency on his throw, so his darts were flying thru the air mroe quicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

For all the criticism of Crowley for his errors ( missed kick at goal, grubber kick and the cross field kick) he made Beirne's try, he forced the French player to commit to the tackle and before that it seems he instructed Tadgh to come around outside him so he saw andread the play completely. He held the ball long enough for Beirne to stroll across the line

It will ne interesting to see him with Craig Casey this weekend

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Don't forget the charge down and the one out on the full.

Yep, he did the same the phase before the JGP try too.

That's absolute garbage from Crowley. He's not playing the Dragons in URC round 8 here.

Full circle...

Advertisement