Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxhunter Pub Closed by Revenue ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Back open it appears. Website up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yep think the grand opening for Wow burger and Elephant and Castle is tomorrow

According to Google it appears to be open now. Good to see it reopened after all these years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody visit yet? Whats the setup like?

Went up there on Tuesday evening on the assumption it was open. Only builders on site. Not open yet but no far off I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Now open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

It's a Wowburger and Elephant and Castle. Pints are typical restaurant prices, e.g. about €6.50, iirc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Went in. Wouldn't bother going back. Basically every other pub in Lucan is better. And probably still all cheaper too. And most/all of them sell more than Heineken products + Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 64,901 ✭✭✭✭unkel

**** me that's depressing. It used to be alright, then it closed and we got this thread 10 years ago in the depths of the biggest recession anyone alive had ever seen. And here we are 10 years later and we end up with this?

It's not supposed to be a pub though. It's a Wowburger and an Elephant and Castle. Casual/fast food dining.

Anyway, judging by the business it's doing, it's in demand. Funnily enough, speaking of Lucan pubs, I was in Kenny's two Thursdays ago and the place was rammed both I doors and outdoors. Loads of people there for the Thursday night table quiz. Anyway, we decided to pop over to Carrolls. You'd swear it was last orders. Only about 10 people there at 10pm. Quite a contrast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I passed it today, it doesn't look very inviting. The wall obscures most of the outside from the road. I remember it back in the old days when they had a Sunday lunchtime jazz thing. Grub was great in the carvery and the kids could play in the huge outside area. Won't be going to wowburger, not that there's anything wrong with it, just not my scene.

To echo a pp, was in Courtneys one lunchtime during the heatwave. Hadn't been for years. Was really good, the outside courtyard area is well done, and we sat by the stream and watched the ducks. Quack Quack, will go back.

I was in Reeds on the River in Courtney's last night. First time there. Best described as "alright".

I'm really hoping the new Tapas place because Ulster Bank will be decent. God knows, we need somewhere half decent in Lucan. Due to open in two weeks apparently

Looking forward to the tapas place too. Heard good things about it. Spanish tapas chef is teaching the local chefs how it's done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I think the jazz's back on in the foxhunter. Wouldn't be rushing to it anyway, not a huge fan of the press up group.

Is there a website or anything for the tapas place yet

I was there for the soft opening this evening. Lovely food. Not the traditional Tapas but Tapas with an Asian fusion twist.

Very enjoyable and the staff are all lovely and very excited about the main opening on Thursday. Apparently bookings are going extremely well.

I'll definitely frequent the place in future. Definite thumbs up and badly needed in Lucan

You own a local business @Heroditas?

No, just lucky enough to get an invite from one of the staff who's a neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Lucan badly needs a good restaurant. We lack any quality at all. Maynooth miles ahead.

Village is a mess, just one big car park full of fumes, nothing attractive about it

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bad planning coupled with awful NIMBYism. The village could have been lovely and people-friendly but some people cmplained that they need to be able to park right outside wherever they want to go. The village is a kip currently and is unlikely to change anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Has the tapas place got a name?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Lucan village is such a missed opportunity.

Traffic is constant. The Laraghcon development should never have gotten planning permission without a new bridge over the Liffey outside the village.

Parking is a total mess. Shouldn't be parking on both sides of Main St near the River Cafe - it's just too tight. A decent car park near the church or behind Sarsfield Park, and pedestrianise the area around the triangle and as far as Ulster Bank.

Yep they could build a decent car park behind the fruit and veg and butchers but I have no idea who owns that land. Opportunity is probably long gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭emo72

The reason the village is a mess with traffic is because motorists are avoiding the m50. It's chapelizod or lucan to avoid the m50. it's a major problem and isn't going to be solved soon. Oh yeah, they'll do away with loads of village parking, so now locals can walk through the village watching the m50 avoiders! Irish planners are special.

Or close off the main St between certain hours like they do in every other town to allow it to grow!!! Village is such an eye sore right now, it needs to revamp, get rid of all the parking spaces on main street and in the triangle area.

Do you not recall the war a year ago because the council were going to remove just 11 spaces? Most of the furore was by retailers who wanted people to be able to park right at the door. It was a disgrace that the triangle now continues to be an unfriendly village centre with queues of traffic for most of the day with much of it not even stopping in the village but simply trying to avoid the M50 toll.

Oh, I do and i know a few of them also.

I asked them what did people do in the 80's/90's when the car was a luxury. We walk!!!!

Down in the country you don't get the right to park outside the surgery I tell ya!!

Christ don't get me started on the village and the state of it. I remember when people were registering their comments on the Corpo site. The majority were a C&P protesting at the proposed development.

One of the business owners who was involved in the lobbying against the development/parking spaces owns the office supplies shop. He can't be too hard up for business because any time I've gone in there I was made feel most unwelcome. He can shove it to be honest, I'll get what I need elsewhere

Up for sale again according to the Sunday Times Business Section. Can't post the link as it is behind a pay wall. No surprise really.

• Advertisement

^^^

The Sunday Times believes that the company is mulling the sale of the Foxhunter in Lucan, Ashton’s in Clonskeagh and Thomas Rody Maher’s, formerly Larry Murphy’s, on Lower Baggot Street.

The development company purchased the Foxhunter near Lucan village on the N4 motorway in 2019. It paid about €3 million for the site, which in 2007 had sold for €17 million to a consortium that included the property developer Bernard McNamara and the retailer Simon Burke. Oakmount completely refurbished the pub, and Press Up opened an Elephant & Castle restaurant on site. In 2022, An Bord Pleanala refused planning permission for the company to build 161 apartments on the land.

Advertisement