Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Honestly, I'd deal with the stripped fastener now while you can in the comfort of your shed/house, rather than having to deal with it out on the road with no tools etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Get it on now, as said above, it also acts as a spacer, and you run the risk of it coming loose, threading and so on. Nothing might happen but if it does you will be so annoyed you didn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Anyone know if/When Hydraulic brake fluid should be replaced?

I would not be changing the fluid in my brakes unless braking performance gave me a reason to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Replaced chain and cassette one month ago and gears worked perfectly. There were skipping prior to this, however once I changed them, they worked spot on.

Over the past few days, they have started to skip again. Should I oil/lube the chain already. Could the cold also impact the gears? Any ideas?

Can you tell us how old the bike is? Can you take a picture of the chainring to put up? Are you able to tell us it indexed correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

The bike is 6 years old. Replaced the chain and the high gears slipped. Replaced the cassette with an identical set up. Didn't touch the indexing. Once I replaced the cassette, bike gears were like new. No issues. Since last Sunday, the gears have started to slip. I haven't lubed the new chain as typically you get a month or two before you need to. The chain seems like it could do with some lubed. Bike is a hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Have a look at the gear cables.

Check the metal inner cables and the plastic outers. Sometimes the inners fray or the outers split.

Also check the rear derailleur. Grab the cage, where the lower jockey wheel is, and move it from side to side. If it’s sloppy, that could be your issue.

Or it could just be indexing. Some photos might help narrow it down 👍

• Advertisement

Picture of the chainrings as well if its 6 years old and has had good amount of use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it was the first time in six years that the chain and cassette were replaced, i'd be worried about worn chainrings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭JMcL

I attended to my HY/RDs (reservoir in the calipers so bit more faff) when the braking started getting a bit spongy. At that I only bled them which topped them up but didn't replace all the fluid. That was only after about 6 years albeit without enormous mileage (bike serves as winter commuter and holiday do-it-all mainly)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My rear caliper (105 R7000 rim brake) has stopped springing back after I pull the lever. Checked the cable and I'm happy that it is ok. The caliper doesn't spring back with the cable loosened.

Is it likely to be some dirt trapped at the pivot areas or is the spring knackered or what is most likely to be the issue. The spring surface looks rusty FWIW. Are these straight forwards to disassemble or am I likely to bugger it up by going at it? Am I better off disassembling it in situ or remove from the bike first?

First thing I'd do is take it off, and give it a good clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Remove pads then Clean, and flush with wd40 or similar.

Let it soak for a while then work the pivots by hand and see if it frees up.

Ive never disassembled a modern caliper but I remember doing an older one and not being able to make it work properly afterwards

Blast it with WD40 or GT 85, wipe, reblast, done.

I wouldn't think it'd be a good idea to disassemble, but I'd say the WD-40/GT-85 approach, rinse it off, let it dry and then give it a good spray with some penetrating oil or similar would be your best bet. It worked for me on a stuck Shimano shifter which would be more delicate than the caliper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

Exact thing happened to me only a couple of weeks ago. Removed caliper from bike, disassembled and cleaned, and when I put it back together and reinstalled the issue remained. Couldn't figure it out and then just loosened the nut shown in the screenshot a tiny bit. Working perfectly again. When I had reasembled I had tightened it a tad too much. Check for grime and dirt at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

what are the best options to replace this tyre? Got a glass slash and side wall is gone..Its tubeless stock tyres from giant.

Thanks

• Advertisement

What's your main use, commute, weekend spins or racing? And where?

weekend spins mostly but towards the hills in a carbon bike

Any 700x25 will do but I would recommend going to 38 or 32 if your frame has the space. Personally i love the Conti GP5000k but there are several tyres that will do the job just fine. Just pick a reputable brand, there will be others in a few minutes to give their preference, all of them will be good recommendatiosn.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Any 700x25 will do but I would recommend going to 38 or 32 if your frame has the space.

Just for clarity, if @Roberto_gas intends on staying with a tubeless setup then the tyres will need to be tubeless ready

yes i plan to stick to tubeless..however if anyone else has good non-tubeless reccos i am up for it !

will hard wired ones work on this ? I have a spare one but not sure its fit for purpose..its botranger and i know its not tubeless

Apologies, missed the tubeless bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Just looking for some general advice, thinking about fitting an easier granny gear on my cube cx bike, just to make it easier when touring and hauling fully loaded bike up the gradients. Say I wanted an 11-42 cassette on the back, what else needs to be changed out? Rear derailleur I guess for starters. Shifters? new chain?

SHIFT/ BRAKE LEVERS - Shimano Tiagra ST-4700

BRAKE SYSTEM - TRP Spyre MD-C610C, Flat Mount (160/160)

REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano Tiagra RD-4700GS, 10-Speed

FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano Tiagra FD-4700, 31.8mm Clamp

BOTTOM BRACKET - Shimano BB-RS500PB, Pressfit

CRANKSET - Shimano Tiagra FC-4700, 50x34T

CASSETTE - Shimano CS-HG500, 11-34T

CHAIN - KMC X10

You might get away with the rear derailleur, they are meant to take close to 40t anyway and Shimano are quite conservative. I'd initially just buy the cassette and chain, see if it works. If it doesn't, then order the rear derailleur but so long as you don't cross chain, I think it will be fine.

• Advertisement

I've put a 36T on a non-series Tiagra level rear with I think 34T capacity with no problems - there was plenty of clearance and the B screw hadn't bottomed out so I'd say a couple more teeth would have been ok.. A Wolftooth Roadlink or similar should probably give you headroom and would be my next port of call if I discover I need really low gears. Didn't the pull ratio change between Tiagra 4600 and 4700? It's probably only something to beware of if swapping out either derailleur or shifter.

Advertisement