Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France v Ireland 8pm Freeday Feb 2 24 rte two.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Ireland win the race for the first team to peak before the 2027 world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I don't think he'll even be our 10 at the next WC. He's top of the pile now. But there isn't much between him and the other Irish 10s. In theory all Irish players have the potential to be the best ever - anyone playing pro rugby is obviously a talent!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wouldn't that be a great complaint to have, lets enjoy now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Was very confident all week and even more so when I saw the teams but never thought we would be that dominant. Bullied them.

McCarthy is some find. He's a freak and I don't think we've ever produced a lock like him.

I think Farrell will be happy with what he saw from Crowley. He had poor moments in the first half but his temperament is spot on. He can pass well of either hand, can threaten the line and can kick. He will grow into the role.

Doris was my motm but could have been given to a number of players. Lowe shows again how important he is. Go back and have a look at his contribution to that second maul try. He blows the prop backwards and gets the momentum forward.

You'd be disappointed not to get a grand slam now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Couldn't agree more. Some of the criticism of Crowley early in the thread was utterly hyperbolic.

As I said to someone else, I think he out place-kicked Ramos and played better than Jalibert. What more do you want from a guy away in France on his first 6 Nations start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭John arse

Does anyone on here know Caelen Doris's brother - Dunan???

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Who knows, whole pile of them floating about, Crowley, Harry, Frawley and no clear and obvious leader.... - if I had a free bet I would put it on Sam Prendergast right now but who knows.

One thing very clear tonight, Joe McCarthy if he stays fit is gonna get a lot of caps. He was outstanding all game. His defensive line speed, endless carrying and constantly being a royal pain in the aR*e was great to see. French lads utterly fed up with him. And he barely looked to have broken a sweat coming off.

Little mention for Cian Healy too - made a huge impact when he came on (twice) and despite rumoured to have been responsible for Joe's hair we can forgive this if he keeps rolling back the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I’m going to crowdfund to get Bundee a number for the next match.

Who knows, whole pile of them floating about, Crowley, Harry, Frawley and no clear and obvious leader.... - if I had a free bet I would put it on Sam Prendergast right now but who knows.

Crowley is very clearly the obvious leader, currently. He's the incumbent 10. He'll start very game he's fit for in this 6 Nations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Conan was excellent when he came on. He's an excellent player that's good at just about everything. Think he gets a rather tough time by some for no good reason really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just getting a good look at Willemse's first yellow card... Jaysus that should have definitely been a red

• Registered Users Posts: 23,939 ✭✭✭✭phog

Listening to Crowley in his post match interview, he's so composed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again he's a born leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Seadin

Yes I got it wrong this time. They played well tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭letowski

With the likes of Kelleher, Ryan, Baird etc. it’s as strong a bench as we’d ever had imo. Serious weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Most FH aren't the finished article at 24, especially one with very little international experience. I'm sure Sexton made plenty of errors when he first started for Ireland. Not saying Crowley will be JS but definitely a very encouraging performance from him tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭This is it

Thought Keenan was quietly brilliant again, as always. More than a few great tackles, that huge driving tackle on our 5, fantastic.

Any thoughts on the scrum? We did better with the new front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

he is a good leader too. You could see him doing the talking in the huddle with the forwards too. What a player to be able to bring on as a sub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Fair play for saying that...rugby is a really hard game to call. Only real followers of rugby really get it as its a very complex game so don't feel bad for calling it originally like you did

• Advertisement

What happened at the lineouts today? Tadgh was incredible. I thought one of our throws was really crooked but say no more gov.

That and Lowe's tackle were 2 huge moments, defensively. Moments like that are huge can change a game.

After the RWC when POC was getting criticism, I was making the argument that he deserved an opportunity to turn it around based on what we had seen previously from him with regards out lineout.

One swallow doesn't a summer make, but that was really encouraging 2nite. Massive turn around.

Well someone has to start......but there is a wafer thin mint between several Irish 10's right now. For me right now, Crowley, Harry or Frawley is toss a three sided coin and even put Ross in the mix too. There just isn't an outstanding one clearly ahead in my eyes. Very early days but Sam P seems to have the time on the ball and natural ability to take it to the line that Sexton had but very early days and he needs some serious gametime at URC and HCUP first but my free bet winner for World Cup starting 10 2027. Often it will come down to who stays fit and who takes a chance when others ain't fit. Early days in the race and of course we may not again have a ROG or Sexton in terms of length of stay at the top. We have been kinda spoilt.

I'd strongly disagree with it's wafer thin at the moment, and I'd also strongly disagree that Crowley wasn't taking the ball to the line, as you suggested earlier in the thread.

Provisional stats have him as 31 metres from 4 carries. Even some of his passing was late, on the gainline.

It was his kicking from hand that was the biggest issue 2nite, but everything else was really really encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How many if them will be around in 4 years? Baird is all.

Fantastic work at the lineout and several steals too and virtually no French lineouts where they got quick safe ball. Chapeau POC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Kelleher and Ryan will both be around in 4 years, but what's the point of your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

All post match interviews are bland non entities. They are indicative of nothing - except Mack when he starts swearing.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭fitz

Yeah, whatever about Crowley's mistakes tonight, you can't accuse him of not taking it to the line. He took some monster hits doing so, including the one for Beirne's try.

When he kept it simple, he was very good. When he looked to manufacturer a bit of magic, that's what seemed to lead to some bad decision making. But as mentioned by others already, his attitude is right. He works hard, doesn't hide or shirk responsibility. Ross Byrne's injury really put him in the driving seat, and I think he'll take advantage over the course of this 6N.

A lot has been said about him and Big Joe tonight, but a quick word on Nash...thought he slotted in pretty seamlessly. He's not the extra playmaker you get with Hansen, but I thought he carried really well in attack and was solid in defense tonight. Held his positioning well for the try too (the hands from Doris, btw!!!).

Overall though, a very positive performance from the newer players that started...extremely encouraging.

Advertisement