Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France v Ireland 8pm Freeday Feb 2 24 rte two.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I heard Ronan O'Gara on the radio during the week discussing the qualities that Crowley has. One of the things ROG said was that Crowley still has the confidence to try things even if something goes wrong. He doesn't go hiding back into his shell. We definitely saw evidence of that tonight. A very promising performance from Crowley imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Much easier to bring through players into a winning team. Solid six nations this season and then can use summer tour and autumn to bring fresh blood into a positive camp and have 4/5 new faces hit ground running in 2025 Six Nations squad. Introduce 4/5 more that summer and through to 6N 2026, and you’ve still 2 more 6N campaigns for them before the next World Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I know. I heard that. Imagine the horse play they get up to. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,829 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lowe was excellent tonight. Did so well in relieving pressure by booting the ball 60m upfield.

Some huge tackles that shut down French attacks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Absolutely superb win - we physically dominated a huge French pack in the south of France, on a night when we got nothing from the referee.

Brilliant performances all over the field - Dan Sheehan near flawless from touch and immense around the park, Tadhg Beirne absolutely outstanding, Joe McCarthy the most physically dominant forward out there - he made ground ever time he touched the ball and tackled his heart out.

Caelan Doris was sublime and totally outplayed Aldritt.

JGP had his best game of the season - superb in attack, brilliant coverage in defence.

Really happy with Crowley’s showing, thought he was excellent.

Both centres were immense in defence and brilliant in attack.

Back three all had big games - Lowe was quietly excellent and Hugo Keenan made a couple of simply incredible try saving tackles. Great to see Nash get over for a try (on his opposite wing) after a brilliant, busy debut.

Bench all contributed well too.

Delighted with that.

Dont think anyone has ever retained the Grand Slam in the 6N - that has to be the target now.

• Advertisement

He was motm for me. But wouldnt argue with McCarthy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭phog

Only saw the first half and followed the 2nd half on the radio but that's a terrific win.

It's brilliant for the 6Ns debutants to get a win like away from home IN FRANCE, and especially so for McCarthy.

Keenan is out best fullback bar none, he seems to be always in the right place for the ball or the man with the ball even with a two on one he seems so composed in defense.

The BP win puts us in a brilliant position for the GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭dublin49

He was mostly poor in the first half with the notable exception of Beirne try pass,He played better in 2nd and nailed 2 brillant conversions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭StevenToast

The lineout was superb tonight...made absolute shìte of French ball also....great platform off our own ball...100% success..

Well done POC....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭JVince

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

It's as we were, but it's the post Sexton era..so excellent in the circumstances really.

France did pull out their Uruguay in the WC performance though.

Interesting to see how everyone had their share of pulling the strings in attack rather than Sexton doing most of it..gotta wonder what might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

My tabloid-esque player ratings, just to outrage everyone who disagrees:

Porter 7/10

Sheehan 8/10

Furlong 7/10

McCarthy 9/10

Beirne 9/10

VdF 7/10

O'Mahony 7/10

Doris 8/10

Park 9/10

Crowley 7/10

Aki 8/10

Henshaw 8/10

Nash 7/10

Lowe 8/10

Keenan 7/10

Subs:

Bealham 7/10

Kelleher 8/10

Healy 8/10

Ryan 7/10

Baird 7/10

Murray 7.5/10

Conan 8/10

Frawley unrated

Record win in France. Nice nights work. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,027 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Unbelievable stuff. What a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Crowley is nothing like Russell. He's a far more rounded player and has a drive for his team to win which Russell doesn’t have. Russell is one of the last players I'd compare him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

No i cant.

I cant think of any other player that has done enough this season to be involved, and a corresponding player that should be dropped for them.

The only one close is starting Behlam instead of furlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Like who? And replacing who?

I would like to see prendergast get more gametime, but our lineout needed POM tonight and it set a platform for us to play and win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I know what you’re saying but Crowley is a much different sort than Finn.

Hype train takes off now because we won.

Both Crowley and McCarthy mixed the sublime with the ridiculous tonight.

They will be mainstays for the next 5-10 years. Fingers crossed!!

Amazing result. Historically amazing!!

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Back to Back Grand Slams in the bag....

Very hard to see any other team in this competition stopping Ireland now....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

As good as it is its hard to get excited after our world cup failure again. Id prefer to finish second in every 6nations and get to a semi final next time around. Cant see it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,829 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doris is so, so good. He isn't a hulk size wise, but runs such good lines, with such good footwork that he makes huge metres in contact.

Completely outplayed Alldritt tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah now. Four games to go. I'd be devastated if we lost at home but I wouldn't be super sure about England away yet. We'll be favourites for sure though.

That was a great game. Ultimately it was the perfect set up for Crowley cause we didn't need to rely on him. He will be much better for the experience. McCarthy is an absolute beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Scrabbel

We're peaking too early for the World Cup though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Cateym

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭phog

Shane Horgan talking about lineouts 🤣😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,236 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Crowley has the potential to be our greatest outfall ever. He is only 24 stepping up to a starting international outhalf. He is very young for to be there. He is coming in as OH without every having a chance to serve as an apprentice like the last 3-4 OH's we had.

He will be shown his mistakes in the video analysis next week. He will learn not to try to push the game so much and that there is less room and time at international level.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Cateym

French fans always shite when their team goes behind. The worst fans.

Advertisement