Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIV Golf Invitational League...... NO Political/Ethical conflict posts, see Post#2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Freddie is spot on. They’re just shills for the…Saudis. Rahm not allowed give interviews now, good job growing the game Jon.

https://x.com/nuclrgolf/status/1735128644702364053?s=61&t=GLVgFVRyXm-jPCnv6S7fXQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

What a shock, Rory McIlroy a man known for making big pronouncements and then back tracking has done it again in relation to LIV

I wonder how much he is going to get from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Best part of that is when 12 year old Rory asked Keano for an autograph in Portmarnock hotel in 01 and Roy told him "not today Kiddo" Classis Roy 😁 excellent interview.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Rory has the increasingly rare humility to admit making a mistake or misjudgment.

I can see why that wouldn't be respected on a message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

And then when Rory was saying he doesn't mind them leaving as long as they don't try to blow up the place on the way out...thought Jamie might point the finger at Roy again 😅

Rory's idea of IPL of golf was interesting. Don't think he'd say that if it wasn't being discussed. But there's just no way this team golf idea is of any interest to fans unless it's nations competing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think the teams is US centric where college golf is all teams, also linking into future franchises like F1 so huge potential payoff for team owners.

Personally means nothing to me

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

Meronk has signed up for liv. Pulled out of farmers when expected to play

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Talk that Hatton is on his way too.

They are hoovering up some serious talent to be fair.

3 of the last 5 major winners now play on LIV and also the DP World Tour player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I heard he's a big fan of Freddie Couples and signed up for free

Hatton confirmed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

I won’t miss grumpys moaning on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Their "strategy" doesn't seem to rely on interest or viewing numbers of LIV events, it's all about depriving PGA of its best players to strengthen its position in negotiations for a new/combined tour or venture. Or to kill off the PGA tour entity entirely by a thousand cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

You could reasonably argue that they currently have roughly 25 of the top 50 professional golfers.

This new investment from private equity into the PGA my gut further splinter things.

I just want them to find a way to get all the best golfers in the majors because that's what I want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

Wonder are we heading (eventually and with much wailing and gnashing of teeth) to much more clearly defined "seasons" almost ? Like a 3 month PGAT block of events, a 3 month LIV block and a DPWT block, with the winter off. Not great if youre not in the top echelon of players.

I dunno, I think the PGAT really messed up, prior to LIV, when they brought the PGA forward into May. Having all the Majors over at the Open in July is too condensed IMO. Leaves the door way too open for a LIV or similar competitor to grab the other 8 months around the Majors.

I agree the PGA Tour messed up, but I think they messed up by letting LIV pick up players in the first place. Once that started happening, the filtering of players was inevitable. It should've been all-hands-on-deck to prevent players leaving for LIV but they were slow and arrogant about it.

Oh I agree, they were definitely arrogant about it. A small part of me kinda likes the fact that they're getting a taste of their own medicine in a way, even if I've no great feeling for LIV either way. Hard to know what else they could have done really though at the same time. They can never match the Saudi money and the ultimate sanction was banning them, which they did, and the guys still didn't care. Maybe it really is as simple as "pro golfer, plays golf for money" and goes where the most money is. Probably its because I'll never have that kind of cash, but I can't understand how a guy who already has 50 million in the bank is swayed by another 50. I get that greed is a human emotion and all that but still......

I do think the DPWT massively messed up by taking the same position as the PGAT. I know there are/were politics and stakeholder issues at play, but still, from a purely European Tour perspective, if there's a ET event in Ireland or Germany or wherever, and one of your top talents is not playing - what does it matter if he's playing a LIV event or say, Jack's Memorial event in the States ? He's still not at your ET event. I think they should have stayed right out of it, and as long as Rory or Sergio plays their minimum number of events, so be it. The top Europeans have always gone to the States to play most of their golf, why is playing LIV different when they're still not playing the Portugal Masters either way ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There are now lots of poor PGA events where the names at the top are not top players, it's suffering big time, the death by a thousand cuts is apt...but all it needs is around 20-30 cuts in reality

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Lucas Herbert just announced he's joining LIV now.

They have to come to some sort of compromise to let them back on the PGA Tour. Otherwise professional golf is in big trouble. Even with Rahm and Hatton I still don't see LIV growing their audience that much in it's current form but it's still a massive blow to the PGA tour.

Has there been any talk of Rahm or other big names playing DP World Tour events? Oosthuizen and Schwartzel played a few events at the end of the year and Joaqiun Niemann played some DP world tour events recently too.

• Advertisement

Exactly this. Lots of poor PGA events - look at the leaderboards at the events in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. There's Junior Scratch Cups with better fields 😁

Its a strange one, very few are actually watching LIV, yet arguably bar Rory, there are no "stars" left on PGAT. Even Scheffler, world no.1, super golfer, but would you cross the street to watch him ? JT & Spieth maybe could be classed as big names. If Tiger does tee it up once a month at least those events will get some traction, but expecting a small few to carry the tour won't work imo. I know people have jokingly (or not) mentioned a Ryder Cup style match between the two, but at this stage would it even be close ?

I think Schwartzel and those guys got into those events because they were co-sanctioned events or something. Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

if you have a way to counter 300 million quid lets hear it

the hell what

you think they were slow an arrogant is it, there no way to counter that kind of money

no one said you were the pga obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Big cash injection into pga tour too....all a bit meh really. Unless there's a big cohort of fans who actually care how much he prize money is, never seemed to be a thing beforehand.

Only remaining thing to see is whether there's a better improved world tour out of it all

The hell at the tone of your comment.

There are other ways to counter it I'm sure; that unfortunately we don't get to see. I'd like to see what they tried to counter, rather than threats of banning from Majors/World Ranking issues etc.

So ya, I do think they were slow and arrogant about it. They definitely didn't forsee the movement of this many players.

theres no tone to it, its very straight forward

you called them slow and arrogant but have no idea yourself

even though you are sure there are ways

they 100% knew this was going to happen, they aren't stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,574 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The vast majority don't care about the rich getting richer, as evidenced by the failure of the FedEx cup playoffs.

People want to see the best players playing against each other regularly. The splintered nature of the sport is really harming it I feel.

Advertisement