Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK to ban disposal vapes and buying tobacco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Emblematic

One thing about Inhalers, patches, gum and other products you get in pharmacies is the repeated use of the word "medicine" in the information booklets. But these are just other nicotine products. If you are against vaping you should also be against these products.

Not the person to whom this question is addressed, but while not completely harmless, vaping is far less unhealthy than smoking. So moving from smoking, while still addicted to nicotine is an overall healthy move.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The other thing about them is that they don’t smell like cheap perfume and produce vapour clouds which those people who vape don’t appear to offer any consideration that other people are not receptive to their hobby. Fidget spinners at least are far less irritating! 😂

The vapor is mainly propylene glycol which is also used in asthma inhalers. Are you against those too?

no that’s not what they said and you know that. Clearly their problem is people using vapes being inconsiderate of those who don’t vape.

can you please let me know the last time someone set off a fire alarm or created a cloud of fog with their asthma inhaler?

Propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are in foods too, sure if we ban vapes we may ban Madeira Cake too!!!

Cop on like. All you have done there is completely dodge the position and take an ingredient in vapes, be completely wrong describing what the vapour consists of (it’s not a cloud of PG) and then compare it to asthma inhalers because they share an ingredient like.. what?

• Advertisement

I think if a fire alarm is set off by a vape, then they need to be redesigned as it is not smoke. Vape looks like smoke but it is actually small droplets, an aerosol of mainly propylene glycol. Cop on like yourself!

Personally use a vape on and off trying to cut the cigarettes but can’t seem to stick to it tbh.

Mainly because it’s either shite or is basically a fog machine. Feel and look like an eejit blowing big clouds tbh.

I don’t understand the fascination with it either. I’ve never smoked a cigarette and thought Jesus this needs more smoke coming out.

Anyway, I’m fairly alarmed at how many young ones and people in general I see huffing out of these colourful elf bar yokes and the other ones, bloody Mary’s etc.

It’s a self regulated deal at the moment as well as at the moment to my understanding it’s not illegal to buy or sell vapes to kids. The fact it’s often touted as being the healthy alternative to smoking seems to make young people especially feel they’re doing no harm vaping.

I don’t think I will ever understand how anyone would start vaping if they are not using it as a smoking cessation tool.

Again you are avoiding the overarching point that is your argument is absolutely ridiculous.

I’ve been in shops and in fact the hospital at one point where the fire alarm was activated by a vape.

But that is an irrelevance as I am more interested in why you keep dodging the difficult points and responding with rambling diversions.

Can you provide me a scenario where a vape is comparable in any way to an asthma inhaler as you wanted to compare them earlier?

Alternatively can you give your opinion on whether or not asthma inhalers have ever created a problem or inconvenience for others in the users vicinity? ie a vape cloud at a bus stop or on a bus etc.

If you cannot find it in yourself to respond to any of the above then I would appreciate you just don’t bother replying to me as I am otherwise not interested in discussing the matter further with you.

Why does anyone have to look for a new fire alarm when all they need do, as many public places have done, is ban people from using their e-cigarettes indoors? A new fire alarm or smoke detector is likely to be even more sensitive:

Know Your Fire Alarms

The answer to this question is yes, a smoke detector can be set off by vaping, and there are some that are more sensitive than others. A detector may also be triggered by bigger clouds of vapour yet not react to smaller ones, so if you do take the risk try to keep your cloud-chasing to a minimum.

https://www.smokegreen.ie/blog?journal_blog_post_id=243

Telling me what I should or shouldn’t be opposed to on the basis of an equivalence of your own making isn’t going to convince me of anything, when the context in which I made the point was to question the validity of the claim that vaping is an effective method of quitting smoking, when there are far more effective methods available over the counter in the chemist.

Y’know what else is differentiates them? The regulations on the ingredients in medicine are far, far more strictly controlled than whatever anyone wants to put in their vape and smoke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭con747

I have read a few comments here and people need to educate themselves a bit more before spouting some of the comments I read. I bought a vape in 2013 and after being a 40 a day smoker when drinking, 20-30 a day normally for over 40 years, I have not smoked since that day. My getting up in the morning went from coughing up 3 lungs to no coughing within a month. I then started to look into the actual process of making the liquid I was buying.

I purchased enough flavours and enough pharmaceutical food grade propylene glycol and vegetable glycol which I blend to the consistency I like from a company in Germany that was closing down to last me longer than I will be alive! I make my own NON nicotine liquid and my own coils for my mods, I just like the feeling and throat hit I used to get when wasting a fortune on cigarettes. I spent €400 on my initial purchase of the liquids but have probably saved god only knows how much.

I fully agree that disposable vapes should be banned and a lot more restrictions be placed on certain aspects of the industry, but not to just go on a witch hunt with blinkers on and banning a perfectly good way to get people from smoking.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

This last point I would agree with. The pharmaceutical products are more regulated. But the answer to this is to regulate vaping products more effectively not ban them.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I don’t think I will ever understand how anyone would start vaping if they are not using it as a smoking cessation tool.

Of course you do. You started smoking.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

I did the cigarettes>vaping>quit route to nicotine cessation and I always just vaped wherever smoking was allowed. I wouldn't have wanted to bother anyone with my extraordinarily phat clouds anyway, but I thought those were the rules! 😶

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

The UK Government are only banning disposable vaping products though:

The U.K. government on Monday announced it will ban disposable vapes, citing an "alarming rise" in the number of young people using them.

There will also be new restrictions on how vapes can be packaged and displayed, as well as the flavors they can come in.

Brightly colored e-cigarettes which are used once and thrown away have proliferated in the U.K. and other countries in recent years.

Pointing to the nicotine content that is typically present in many vapes, the U.K. government on Monday warned that withdrawal from the substance can sometimes cause "anxiety, trouble concentrating and headaches. While vaping can play a role in helping adult smokers to quit, children should never vape."

It is illegal to sell vapes to consumer under the age of 18 in the U.K., but according to government figures, 9% of 11- to 15-year-olds use them. The number of children vaping has tripled over the last three years, it said.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2024/01/29/disposable-vapes-to-be-banned-in-uk-after-warnings-of-risks-to-youth.html

It just means children are just going to have to buy them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Kids start vaping same as cigarettes back in the day

It's endemic now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Optical smoke detectors can't tell the difference, and are required in certain circumstances where ionising smoke detectors don't suit

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

But these things have not been around as long as cigarettes, so I wonder if the bad news is on it's way? Could vapes turn out to be like precessed food, less healthy than the real thing :-)

Those Skol ~Bandits were seen as a means of getting a risk free fix, that didn't turn out too well did it?

Personally I think all addictive substances should have been banned before they went on general sale. like gambling for a large number of misfortunates, the addictive product is bought to simply remove discomfort and in lots of cases, the very act of removing the craving merely reinforces and exacerbates the addiction.

I tend to wonder if schools do what they can to warn pupils? In the sixties and seventies when I was at school the only action against addiction was the cane for being found smoking on the school grounds.

Addiction of any form is a bad start to life and I hope that todays kids are protected from the misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

It's all optical now ionization is gone pretty much gone

EI don't even manufacture them now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's specific use cases for ionisation still - better at detecting low smouldering fire from memory. My 2022 EIs will last a good while yet though.

Many of the IoT ones do both simultaneously (plus sometimes CO)

British democracy isn't quite like those others where people vote for their governments. Brit's buy their government.

Tories defend £350K vaping boss donation

From the BBC website.

It puts any risks to children and the pain of addiction into clear pespective does it not.

Like Brexit, the welfare of the public and the welfare of those the public send to speak and act on their behalf in Britain are two widely different topics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

True if you are going by raw EC50 values but caffeine doesn't have the addictive qualities of nicotine and it's not just nicotine that causes the health issues when it comes to smoking and vaping. The delivery method is what causes so many issues.

True enough, I suppose I’ve always looked at vapes as no different to your nicotine patches and the likes 🤣

Coca cola was changed a long. long time back.

Fortunately it's rust removing chemicals were left in though, just the addictive stuff removed.

Coke the drink isn't addictive. Sugar is harmful, but it's attraction was programmed into humanity as well as many animals simply as a means to grab as many nutrients as rapidly as possible so that competitors would not strip your store.

If Coffee was seriously addictive, I would be well and truly hooked. I have never heard of a coffee drinker being treated for withdrawal, going to NA or seeing them on sidewalks with the dog and blanket begging for the price of a fix.

Were it to have the most remote tendancy toward addiction in all but an insignificant number of users compared to other drugs, do you not think it would be a desireable excuse in the courts for everything from parking offences to murder?

"I was reeling under the effects of a Nescafe Gold Blend" does not quite have the same kudos to it as "I consumed six pints and a couple of bottles of whisky" when up in court for writing off a few vehicles and their passengers does it?

I think caffeine addiction usually leads to headaches and irritability when you don’t consume it for a while. That’s your “withdrawal”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

They absolutely are triggered by vapes which is the way I test mine (ionization i.e. radioactive type) at home. They detect small particles in the air and they don't need to be redesigned simply because some people can't see that vaping indoor is inconsiderate to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Unless we follow suit, which we should. We introduced plastic bag tax, that worked, we banned cigarettes from pubs and workplaces and discos etc, that worked.

I gave up smoking 10 years ago, best thing I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TokTik

Have you ever seen anyone do any of the above for cigarettes?? Or use fags as an excuse for writing off other vehicles??

I'm sure a wayward lit cigarette has been responsible for the odd accident. The lack of cash for ciggies has led to crime quite a number of times.

As far as safety goes. there was a trial in the UK over forty years back and it was found that smokers reflexes were marginally improved while driving if they smoked.

It never made it to a recommendation in the Highway code :-)

• Advertisement

Fair enough. That was basically how they started, and while lots of people use them for smoking cessation there are a lot of people who started and continue with just vaping.

The main issue I see is that, whether they would have taken up smoking in the absence of vaping or not, those people are addicted to nicotine now. Maybe they will all stop cold turkey - but maybe many of them will take up smoking to get their hit instead, which would be a disaster for everyone but the revenue office.

The most likely thing I see is that people will turn to the likes of Zyn or other nicotine pods. Those are very popular now in Silicone Valley and similar places, where smoking and vaping are déclassé but the nootropic effects of nicotine and its longer-term protective effects against things like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's are all the rage.

Advertisement