Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK to ban disposal vapes and buying tobacco

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Seems a sensible move, on the surface. I think NZ switched direction on that policy though.

Disposable vapes should be banned IMHO for environmental reasons at least.

I just hope that vaping itself is not financially discouraged, as it has been a great harm reduction method for many tobacco users.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,388 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I suppose the vape makers will just make either their vape accept an AA battery or be rechargable to get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Great news for smuggling types up around the Armagh/Monaghan border

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

I think NZ have abandoned the policy as unworkable?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I can't see any big black market trade in disposable vapes. Non-disposable alternatives are plentiful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've abandoned it as too costly on the lost tax revenue.

They'd just gone back to a right wing Government when they announced that; although its not like Sunak is even vaguely centrist let alone left wing...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ottolwinner

Is that on the back of the change in prime minister in NZ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes.

The Government there is a right wing and a very right wing party and it appears the latter wanted it gone. They may have just made up the cost excuse - far right parties do seem to latch on to smoking as a right, see UKIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I just hope that vaping itself is not financially discouraged, as it has been a great harm reduction method for many tobacco users.

Honestly I find claims like that questionable, there’s as much evidence for it as there is for the utility of fidget spinners.

In young people who took up vaping, they were between three and five times more likely to take up smoking -

A Health Research Board (HRB) review into e-cigarette use has found that e-cigarettes are associated with adolescents starting to smoke tobacco cigarettes, which could potentially lead to serious harm.

It shows that those adolescents who had ever used an e-cigarette were between three and five times more likely to start smoking compared to those who never used e-cigarettes.

https://www.hrb.ie/news/press-releases/single-press-release/article/new-health-research-board-evidence-shows-e-cigarettes-are-associated-with-adolescents-starting-to-sm/

It was that research which informed the decision to introduce the ban on sales of vapes and other tobacco products to anyone under the age of 18 in Ireland -

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2023/1221/1386475-vaping-ban-explainer/

I don’t get the whole idea of banning it by the year anyone was born, like 2009 in the UK or whatever.

They may have just made up the cost excuse - far right parties do seem to latch on to smoking as a right, see UKIP.

Aye, seems to be motivated by contrarian nonsense - it was introduced by their political opposition, so just to spite them, they’ll oppose it. It’s just dumb. I smoke, but I don’t continue to smoke just to spite the smoking ban introduced some 20 years ago now 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The problem there is that you're mixing in young kids starting to vape and moving to smoking, and people who smoke and move to vaping.

The cheap disposables will be the gateway to kids vaping. Along with the marketing that's aimed at them. Both should be banned.

But at the same time for people who smoke, vaping is a great way of getting away from smoking. It is a far healthier method of getting nicotine. And before anyone jumps in with "It's not healthy" yep, nobody should be taking nicotine. But vaping is far healthier than smoking and anything that stops people from smoking should be made available to them with as few restrictions as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Vaping has been a nightmare for kids

Majority I know are doing it and alternating it with cigarettes

They're not aware of the nicotine trap ,.how powerful a drug it is

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Jafin

You just described what all vapes were before disposables were introduced. Besides, there are already rechargeable disposables out there, they're just not overly common because of the strict 2ml limit to the amount of liquid manufacturers are allowed to put in disposable vapes, although they have already found a loophole around this by putting multiple 2ml pods into a single disposable vape that you switch around when one pod is depleted.

But vaping is far healthier than smoking and anything that stops people from smoking should be made available to them with as few restrictions as possible.

No you’re right, I wasn’t so much mixing them as I was questioning the validity of the claim that vapes are any good for quitting smoking, or as an alternative to smoking, or if that isn’t just because the person wants to believe it.

There ARE alternatives available over the counter in chemists like patches and I’ll be honest that god awful inhaler that looks like a tampon, but they are more effective than vapes is all, so if it was to happen that vapes would be made financially unviable (seems unlikely when anyone is willing to pay nearly €20 for a pack of smokes), I wouldn’t think it would have any impact either way on people who wanted to quit. I know the inhalers are available on the medical card anyway, not sure about the gum or patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can say I gave up smoking for good thanks to vaping. And I can say confidently now there's no going back.

In my particular case I had no real problem giving up the cigs, without any NRT. But, whenever I drank, I went back on them.

After going through that cycle a number of times over many years I thought the best thing to do was take up vaping so when I next drank I might not go back on the cigs. It worked. I have had a real cig in the pub since after being offered one, but no, still didn't go back on them. I actually prefer the vaping.

If my lung health, not to mention the state of my teeth and gums and skin tone is not 100% back to normal, it's certainly 95%. For years now I'm hearing 'we don't know the long terms effects of vaping'. Well, I'm waiting patiently, they have been around a long time now.

I fully support the banning of nicotine in any form to teenagers. I think the obesity thing is a much bigger issue, but people don't seem to get as riled up about that. Sweets with flavours are marketed at children but the product is sugar and the problem is sugar addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I tried the patches. they were horible. That inhalator is terrible. the gum makes me sick.

vaping works for me. The fact that it's cheaper than smoking helps too. I just don't want to see people who, like me were smoking for 20 years, be turned away from vaping. It's not great but it's far better than smoking.

But likewise I don't want to see kids getting addicted either. Even if it was 100% healthy, it's an addiction. Having to stop every hour and take a few minutes to feed an addiction is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Randycove

Increasing the age you can buy vaping stuff along with cigarettes seems to be the logical answer.

it stops people starting, but keeps it open to people who want to make the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,388 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I find moving the age along for purchase is a gimmick, they should instead set minimum purchase to be 200 cigarettes so there would be a €150 odd outlay needed to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Similar ideas to why Bertie was against the ban, as it lengthened lives and hence more OAPs on state pension.

40% of Mauri smoke, life expectancy much shorter than the colonialists, so the more they smoke....

The health services they get are also crap so in effect it could be viewed as genocide-light, once removed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭TokTik

Buy 200 cigarettes for €150. Sell them at €1 each. €50 profit every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Disposable vapes I'm on-board with mostly wrt the 'disposable' bit, but buying tobacco ban is - I wont call it 'nanny' because thats a euphemism - government overreach and should be challenged in court.

Where will this overreach end? Its everywhere. Cant eat this, cant drink that, full on surveillance is already there and eventually 'nanny' will be paired with it I fear. We're already seeing it with mandatory car connectivity and mandatory driving assistants (that dont work). It's 1984 through the health & safety backdoor. And it's all fun and games and for 'your own good' and whats the harm - until it isnt.

It’s not through the back door at all though. Government here at least have been very open about the fact that smoking is a public health issue, that it costs the exchequer an enormous amount in terms of healthcare and lost productivity.

In saying that though, I am fairly cynical of the UK Governments motives seeing as that’s all they’ve got really, is an attempt to give the public the impression they really care about the publics health, when the NHS hasn’t just fallen apart at the seams under their governance, it’s barely functioning on life support. Introducing measures like this doesn’t actually cost them anything, and you can be guaranteed the bean counters in the Ministry of Finance have calculated how much Government might gain in political capital:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Now it's tobacco that is a public health issue. Consequently it will be alcohol next. It's only logical. Until we're all good little worker bees only doing stuff thats good for the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

It is by no means certain that the British gov will follow thru on the original proposals for a ban either.Modifications are being discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Those disposable vapes are incredibly high in nicotine. 20mg Nic Salts. A vape is the equivalent of 50 cigarettes in terms of nicotine and they only last about a day. Bit of a fiasco really.

Hasn’t that been done already with minimum alcohol pricing? I’ll be honest I don’t know too much about the minimum alcohol pricing, I do know that it costs the guts of €200 for a night out nowadays, and that’s not even going for dinner beforehand for soakage! 😳

Can’t blame Government for greedy publicans trying to make up for the loss of business from changing attitudes in Irish society to smoking, drinking and while they’ve not done a whole pile to tackle obesity, Pat McDonagh is doing plenty with the exorbitant price Supermacs charge now for a shìtty snackbox! 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Jafin

Jesus, I don't know where you're getting €200 for a night out from but I certainly don't ever want to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Advertisement