Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,669 ✭✭✭nerd69

He was less effective at 8 to start the year also though because we essentially couldn't get quick ball without him so its less number on the back and more composition of the pack. If we put mccarthy in a psdt role i think hed excel right now but that means someone else picks up the slack in other areas

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wing seems to be the hardest position to get top quality internationals in Ireland specifically. Elite props and 10s are rare worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

There’s not one player in the back five who that statement isn’t applicable to. There aren’t any perfect players out there - everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

What we haven’t lacked in recent times for Ireland is disciplined automatons who can play in complicated systems with high levels of accuracy.

What we have lacked (at the very highest level) is big physical players who can be difference makers as carriers and hitters and bring a bit of intensity and physicality to our pack.

Id take the chance on him and have him in the 23 this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Teams according to Gerry Thornley

Ringrose out. Big loss.

6-2 France and Ireland. I'll believe it when I see it.

IRELAND (v France, possible): Hugo Keenan; Calvin Nash, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, James Lowe; Jack Crowley, Jamison Gibson-Park; Andrew Porter, Dan Sheehan, Tadhg Furlong; Tadhg Beirne, Joe McCarthy; Peter O’Mahony (capt), Josh van der Flier, Caelan Doris.

Replacements: Rónan Kelleher, Cian Healy, Finlay Bealham, James Ryan, Ryan Baird, Jack Conan, Conor Murray, Ciarán Frawley.

FRANCE (possible): Thomas Ramos; Damian Penaud, Gael Fickou, Jonathan Danty, Yoram Moefana; Matthieu Jalibert, Maxime Lucu; Cyril Baille, Peato Mauvaka, Uini Atonio; Paul Gabrillagues, Paul Willemse; Francois Cros, Charles Ollivon, Gregory Alldritt.

Replacements: Julien Marchand, Reda Wardi, Dorian Aldegheri, Cameron Woki, Sebastien Teofifenua, Paul Boudehent, Nolann Le Garrec, Louis Bielle-Biarrey.

Ringrose out is a huge loss, Henshaw’s been better the last couple of weeks in Europe but still hasn’t looked his best this season. 13 probably his best position though and has historically had a great partnership with Bundee.

6-2 makes some sense to me - Frawley’s versatility makes it viable, though any injury to a back three player is problematic.

Definitely can see 6-2 for France - they’ve so many options in their pack with loads of big bruisers who are versatile. Similarly - Thomas Ramos’ ability to slot in at 10 gives them a lot of options in the backs too along with Moefana’s ability to slot in at centre or wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Some set of forwards coming off the bench if that's true.

Murray still getting into the 23 is odd considering his form.

Again if true, Ringrose is a blow but Henshaw looks like he's mining into a vein of form again. Looks fitter the last few games.

• Administrators Posts: 53,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

An Ireland team featuring zero Ulster players would be quite humiliating. I wonder has this ever happened before for a proper test, I doubt it has in the pro era a least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,769 ✭✭✭✭phog

6-2 split on the bench strengthens Murrays chances of being in the match day squad.

Ryan benching doesn't help his cause to replace POM as captain.

• Administrators Posts: 53,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nipping this in the bud right now. That second sentence is trolling, and this thread is not to be dragged into 10 pages of nonsense as to whether or not a selection today has any bearing on any future captains.

Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Bealham is probably our best TH now and I'd start with him. LH is a real worry. Porter really needs a big season. If he could just stay square in the scrum instead of boring in and getting pinged for penalties all the time.

Hope Crowley and Nash's defence holds up, all we need is for them to be steady and do the basics well.

Marchand will be a loss to the French lineout if he doesn't start so need to go after their throw early. Mauvaka is great around the pitch but his throwing is iffy.

Hope we see another couple of players break into the team and stake a claim. We have a real lack of quality wingers for some time now with 2 imports our first choice and the drop off to the next in line is big. We really don't produce speed merchants. No doubt the late development of the 7s programme hasn't helped.

Roll on Friday night 😃🐓☘️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Murray is a truly bizarre selection if this is true, otherwise I like it. Bench would have some impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd be surprised if we went with a 6-2 split as our coaches have never seemed interested with it in the past.

On the other hand, we've a lot of very good forwards and France will undoubtedly be the biggest physical test of the entire tournament.

If Baird and Conan both make the bench I guess POM and VDF play for 60 each before making way. Doris will shift to open side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭TRC10

So Ireland are following Leinster down the South African path

• Registered Users Posts: 9,669 ✭✭✭nerd69

As leinster go so to will ireland rightly or wrongly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I posted about him in the Champions Cup thread the other night... I discovered that stats site over the weekend. Coombes is carrying into contact... and if I am reading it right... on purpose, ideally committing tacklers, and with a view to offloading. And is hitting the gainline better than most, but as you say, not making huge metres per carry.

Here was my reading of it from that thread in relation to his carrying:

"He's top carrier of URC in Europe (I thought those stats were for Europe and not just leagues, think I'm wrong on that?) and 4th overall (when including players from English/French leagues). Only 7 of his carries weren't into contact... he's 55 carries ahead in that regard of URC players! Very clear what his role is. Of that Top 20 (carriers) he has the lowest dominant carry rate... but he's 8th for gainline success. He's consistently making some very hard yards is my reading of that?

In addition, of those Top 20 carriers he's 2nd for committing 2+ tacklers to his carries.

Can't find offloading stats for Europe here but he's well capable of an offload. At the very least he's freeing up space in the backline if we get quick ball, which if you look at Munster's linebreaks stats or the likes of Nankivell's stats alone... appears to be working, maybe? Also, he's Munster's second highest offloader for the season behind Frisch (Source: Munster website) so maybe that solves that one?"

As I said in that post, I guess it depends on what coaches want from their players/gameplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

Ouch GT in the IT has Ringrose out with a shoulder injury & James Ryan not starting

The France team has been named. Still very strong despite their injuries and absence of Dupont.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

L'Equipe leaked it on Monday night, I believe. Think everyone was just copying and pasting from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Happyhouse22

If you mean team as in starting 15 then it definitely has, I remember a stage when Humphreys coming off the bench was Ulsters only involvement. If you mean 22/23 I do t remember it happening but would be surprised if it hasn’t

• Advertisement

Ireland team is as Thornley predicted. Ringrose is out, McCarthy starts and a 6-2 bench split.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Looks good, lots of impact off the bench. Murray could be invaluable in the end game with Crowley and Frawley’s lack of experience at this level. Only one that gives me any concerns is Healy. Wouldn’t like to see Porter coming off early.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

That's a bizarre bench with the 6/2

JDV has to play full game - no replacement 7, POM wont play 80

Who's coverering wing even centre - You can do this with Ringrose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shehal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Frawley plays 12. Conan or Doris can switch to 7 if needed, but teams generally don't put a sub 7 on the bench.

Doris could play the entire 80. He was our back up 7 for the World Cup and will shift there if Baird and Conan come on.

JGP would maybe shift to the wing in the event of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Presumably Keenan moves to the wing and Frawley goes to 15 if we need it.

And Frawley or Crowley to 12 if we need a centre.

And if it's a double injury then Gibson park ends up on the wing but that's the risk you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

No Ulster player in the 23. Murray benches ahead of Casey. 6-2 bench.

A lot has changed since RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Doris covers 7. POM at a pinch. Baird and Conan will likely replace VDF and POM. JGP can cover wing.

• Advertisement

If needed, I presume we'd have to push Keenan to wing and put Frawley at 15.

Advertisement