Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Impact on Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,315 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Think that was a mistake from Jeff. He should be out with all guns blazing. Bryson and Allister already doing damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I just hear he is in talkback tomorrow as well. William crawely who will be interviewing him has just said that if jeffrys description is correct it is ‘sysmic’.

so I guess he will get a hard interview.

I personally can’t believe he has managed this but I will wait and see

People now reporting text of Windsor framework has been changed. I don’t think that is possible with eu involvement?

there were a few. One was a speaker on talkback. English guy and I didn’t get his name. I’ll try and find it.

• Advertisement

I was listening and he didn't say the text had been changed, he said that in order to get what Jeffrey had said last night he had got, the text would need to change,

But Jeffrey was saying something different this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Donaldson is cooked anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing is, even if he was: like the Tories themselves who's ready to step into the fray and take over? Cos whilst I'd still maintain the DUP are the Western World's most incompetent major political party, I doubt anyone in its is lack such self-awareness as to think they'd do a better job. You'd have to imagine even the sternest of Brexit hardcore know there's not much else they can do at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Maybe Donaldson & the upper echelons of the DUP are smarter than they let on.

The world and its mother knows that the Tories are screwed in the next election, which could be anything from 3 months to a year away. An incoming Labour government will also have no time for DUP nonsense, and be far more open to discussions with the UUP, Alliance, SDLP, & SF. So jeffrey and chums have decided to take one last bung, maybe a few peerages, get the green lane renamed to the "Ulster says no"/"red white and blue"/"we are the people" path or whatever, disappear into the lords, play dressup and forelock tug til to the end of their days. Leave the lunatic fringe of Unionism to Allister, Bryson and whatever DUP'pers didn't make it, before they pulled the ladder up behind them.

Post edited by retalivity on

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If anything shows the difference between children playing at politics (Sinn Fein) and real statesmanlike leadership (FF and FG), it is the contrast between the way this has been handled. Shooting off at the mouth a few days ago, the way that Francie and Sinn Fein wanted us to do may have scuppered the deal. Instead, we have back channel conversations and the path smoothed to a restoration of Stormont,

Grandstanding and showboating may be what Sinn Fein (and the DUP) are all about but it is the adults (FF and FG) in the room who will get things done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There seems to be a parallel between being the leader of the DUP and the Republican Speaker of the House in the USA. They're both impossible positions because they're trying to keep a large part of their party happy who don't understand how compromise works.

Not sure you know what 'back channel' meeting are. They are not publicised phone calls between PM's.

I think Leo, and Simon were gotten to by somebody as they were much more vociferous during Brexit which as we know produced a good outcome for us.

It remains to be seen what is in this deal and if it is 'good'.

And I stand over that contention that 'secret deals' with one party are wrong and a recipe for potential damaging disaster.

Long way to go on this one yet.

Donaldson is channeling his inner Trimble who was in turn channeling Paisley.

Remains to be seen if he pulls it off.

Funny that Bryson rubs Donaldson's nose in with Trimble's words, but it was Trimble who endorsed Bryson's hated GFA. The GFA he thought was in the bin at one stage and was glory tweeting about it.

I assume you feel the same about the secret meetings between blair a the shinners?

I listened to that too this AM and heard nobody say it.

Remember me telling you who to take your anger out on re: Comfort Letters downcow? The same outfit who agreed this deal in secret.

around 55mins

Prof John tong stated that the WM said that ‘the eu could intervene and check whatever goods they wanted’. He says, it’s a ‘big win’ for Jeffry if he is right in his claim that this is no longer the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭pureza

No agreement was made with the DUP this time without the unofficial nod from the EU I'd imagine

I have yet to hear other parties bar the TUV (Flat earthers who ponder why there should be a UI when Portugal isn't united with Spain and are of the school of thought that there's a different rock structure under the 6 counties than the 26) complain

So we're all good I'd say

• Advertisement

If you look back I never claimed it was anything other than speculation. Indeed I said I didn’t believe.

let’s hope I’m wrong though.

This isn’t speculation. Released 30/1/24 (today) by eu:

”Following in-depth technical discussions with the UK, the Commission is now putting forward a proposal to the Council. If the Council approves the proposal, the EU and the UK are expected to formally agree on the solution at the next meeting of the Joint Committee of the EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement.”

of course some will try to claim that it is some incredible coincidence and would have happened anyway. - I don’t know the detail but it looks like more good news, way beyond my expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Unionists trying to manufacture some kind of win out of it all, you have to love it.

It's all about lording it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I agree; not a coincidence.

But, also, not a change to the WF/the Protocol — this willbe a decision of the joint committee, exercising powers it has had all along (and will continue to have - i.e, this decision could itself be changed in the future).

On edit: Commentary I have read suggests that the main impact of this change will be to give NI businesses/consumers easier access to products imported into the UK from the rest the world (i.e. not from EU), in particular products imported under the UK's trade deals with other third countries. So New Zealand lamb imported into the UK under the UK/NZ trade deal can be more easily brought into the NI market. This may please NI consumers and retailers of lamb (but not, I imagine, NI lamb producers).

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Considering that Brexit was attributed to be voted for by either the very rich or the very stupid, isn't Brexit itself pretty general.

Regardless of the intention, I fail to see how Brexit can seem anything but offensive to the reputation of anyone but those either with offshore accounts or some other means of getting an edge on the working population.

3.3 billion for the DUP's performance is hardly a very sane, normal approach is it?

When those that supplied the cash have record numbers of food banks and are in a panic if they spend a weeks stay in a hotel room for asylum seekers, then isn't the cost of eleven million asylum seekers housed and supplied with their £8 pocket money for a week a fact that despite being quite true, might be considered to be highly insulting when related as "news"?

In fact if you look at that major mouthpiece supporting Brexit in the UK, Tim Martin, at no time when spouting the difficulties of trading in Britain as an EU member state, did he seem to consider it necessary to point out how his businesses here in the South of Ireland managed to do so well under the thumb of his hated EU.

Brexit is a case where for most people, support for the fiasco is as detrimental to their reputation as would be sitting on the branch of a tree while sawing it off.

If One didn't find Brexit funny and as a result detrimental to the abilities of those who are not extremely rich supporting it, it would have to be taken seriously.

There lies the path to madness.

Even in The Mail in the UK. that poor quality substitute for cheap toilet paper, I notice that few now sing the praises of Brexit. Apart from a few reporters still pushing the Brexit pint bottles of wine rubbish, the vast majority of very vociferous supporters that were amongst the readership have gone to ground faster than garden slugs on a sunny day.

We were told, on here and elsewhere, that not one dot of the Windsor Franework would be changed and negotiations were over.

I am very confident now that some text has been changed.

the responses are predictable on here, but hey

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Unless you're actually able to point to the text that has been changed, your confidence seems . . . misplaced.

Bear in mind that the text is embodied in a treaty, negotiated and signed by the UK and the EU, and ratified by their respective parliaments. The process for amending the Treaty is the same as the process for making it in the first place - negotiation, signature, ratification. Have you any reason to think that that process has happened? If not, whence comes your confidence that the text has been changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭circadian

The DUP are cooked. The last Assembly Elections they only topped the poll in 2 constituencies and are bleeding out to Alliance. This 2 year hold up in government has people out on strike and many in the PUL community are very well aware that the DUPs unwillingness to form a government is playing a large part in making things hard on them. Unionism pushed for Brexit and now Brexit is collapsing any Unionist cohesion.

Advertisement