Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Impact on Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,081 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The EU is us,

It is a pretty big claim that the Irish government has agreed to rewriting the WF and has told nobody in the Dáil.

@downcow requires back-up. We have been here before with the naïve in Unionism buying into bluff and spin if not downright lies from their own government or the leadership of the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Well, I'm a simple soul so "no border in Ireland" and "no border down the Irish Sea" seems to be stretching the abilities of the DUP, the Tories and even the Dublin government as far as a solution goes

Maybe a compromise would be possible, a customs border in the Irish Sea on odd numbered dates and in Ireland on even dates :-)

Methinks that quite a few expectations will not live up to the practicalities of a solution dreamed up by what is without doubt the most incompetent UK government that has ever been installed in the UK in my lifetime.

Having been totally used by Jeffrey and the DUP and shafted by them, Jamie is reduced to trying to troll them on X. A look between your fingers moment. Hard to feel sorry for him, he was well warned that this would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

He is trying to say that the DUP are taking orders from SF now.

He is reduced to carping from the sidelines and he doesn't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Presumably Bryson revealing that when all's said and done thee's a hardcore of Unionism whose main, overriding fear, is no longer being in charge. The whole Brexit fundamentalism a convenient sideshow to the resting anxiety that Sinn Fein are about to be First Minister and the biggest party in NI.

Which, for Bryson and his ilk, was never supposed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I don't know if the pun was intended but nothing is surer from this cesspit of a Tory government than the fact that there will soon be a "Lord Donaldson" (or whatever title the bigoted soon to be ex-leader of the DUP deems to give himself)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The paper has been released, I can hear them talking about it on the radio now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I am not claiming anything. I am reporting comments. I said I was confident text have been changed which is different from saying it has been changed.

That said, Jeffrey has now stated categorically on BBC the text in the framework has changed and that Europe was involved in those changes. Time will tell. I am quite sure it will be done in a way that saves face for all those who said their would be no renegotiation and not a for would change

• Advertisement

I only heard a small part of his 1 hour interview, just completed, but I was very impressed - and in no fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

From the guardians liveblog:

The PM’s official spokesperson said:

This is our negotiation between the UK and the DUP, this is not about altering the fundamentals of the Windsor framework.

We do believe the changes we are implementing are significant and the DUP have made similar comments.

Pressed on the “significant” changes, he said that they were to the “operation of the framework”.

So window dressing for the DUP, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭circadian

Fairly clear.

But it was beforehand that there was no renegotiation.

Spinners were out trying to suggest it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

This take from Paul Cunningham Political Correspondent for RTÉ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To truly understand what this means, we're going to have to wait for the first bump in the road - when the EU changes its rules but the DUP does not like how the law will apply to NI.

Which is precisely the worry I've had about this whole set-up, cos I can almost guarantee it's gonna happen the first time the EU changes the rules & the DUP's nose gets put of joint 'cos of ... I dunno, cow passports, bending sausages or somesuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

"Brexit betraying"

As always it's worth taking a moment to reflect that there is a not-inconsiderable cohort within the UK who think the problem is not that Brexit was a terrible idea to begin with - but that the Tories are doing it wrong, and could yet work. It's 4 steps removed from Sunk Cost and into some cultish delusion from which there's no hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

"the sunlit uplands" as James O'Brien often refers to this mythical land where the one true Brexit has occurred.

Anyone else get a very lack lustre vibe off Sammy's protestations here? Seems almost deflated at times. A beaten docket?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I would take a different view. In November, only 72% of DUP voters were in support of their continued refusal to enter Stormont. It seems unlikely that you'll ever have more than 25% of NI voters in favour of the Statelet being in a non functioning state over some technical aspect of EU law. If and when that occurs, in essence so what? Ireland and the EU will do what they have done the past two years. Keep talking, keep offering different words or working groups but stick insistently and inevitably to the principle of the thing.

Sure, there will be times where the DUP are propping up a minority Conservative government and have leverage, but they simply don't represent enough people in NI to ever "win" on the fundamental point - the customs border is in the Irish Sea and regulatory / standards alignment between Ireland and NI is a requirement. Most people in Northern Ireland want this; and enough of a minority of those who don't want it can't be bothered with public services and institutions in the North being impeded as a point of principle to oppose it.

Sure, it's classic EU - they found another fudge of sorts, but the outcome is broadly the outcome we identified in late 2016.

Donaldson has sold them out, in essence. I think he did the right thing given that Sunak could call an election as early as the summer. But make no mistake, this is not what Sammy and Jamie Bryson have been hoping for the past few years.

Oh I know that. Sammy and Jamie ultimately want their veto back and the Taigs put back where they where after partition.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You've almost a decade and a half of the Tories lies, gimmicks and excuses and still you believe... and eight years education in trade deals... surely, surely by now you'd be able to do just a little independent thinking?

The UK is a member of the WTO and without having an acceptable border between NI and the UK mainland neither the UK nor the EU can operate as required under WTO terms. And if you think for a minute that Tories or the EU are going to risk even a single trade agreement for the same if the DUP, then you are going to be very disappointed.

It is far more likely that the DUP were told you either get back into Stormont and government or you'll have Irish civil servants doing it for you. An now the boys have to get up and dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭circadian

The penny has almost dropped for him. If the Tories were to answer his final question honestly, then Sammy and Unionism would be faced with the reality that the rest of us see.

The DUP have taken this as far as they can. There could be a new election as soon as the early summer, which is likely to result in a massive Labour majority. This was their last chance to try and leverage anything off a more sympathetic government, even though Sunak and the bulk of his party have moved on. They have gotten some words changed, some implementation changes, and a pile of cash for public servant pay rises that they can take to the doorsteps when the general election comes.

However, they have not gotten what they wanted or anything near it. And a blueprint for waiting them out next time they throw their toys out of the pram has been established.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,133 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

My point stands; if you're confident that the text has been changed and it hasn't in fact been changed then your confidence is misplaced.

And your citation of Donaldson's claim reinforces my view that your confidence is misplaced. If Donaldson has said that the text has changed, he is certainly wrong. The text is set out in the Withdrawal Agreement - specifically, in the Protocol on Northern Ireland, starting on page 92 of the Withdrwal Agreement. It hasn't been changed - you can check it for yourself online, but you hardly need to; if a change had been agreed and had been ratified by the two Parliaments, it would have received widespread media coverage, and we'd all be aware of it.

Your "confidence" looks like wishful thinking — you've no reason for thinking that the text of the Protocol has been amended and plenty of reason to think that it hasn't, but you're "confident" that it has because you'd like that to be the case.

What has happened is that the Joint Committee has agreed a change to the operation of the Protocol. That's not a change to the Protocol; it's something for which the Protocol itself provides. Nor is is unprecedented — it has happened more than once already. Doing this is part of the reason why the Joint Committee exists.

But I'll give you this; if anybody ever told you that the Joint Committee would never change the operation of the Protocol in any way and you doubted or disbelieved them — they were wrong and you were right.

• Advertisement

Seems a fairly accurate take on the 'achievement'.

TBH after reading more of the detail I will be amazed if the DUP can sell this. It is largely just spin and fudge.

Advertisement