Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Impact on Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,490 ✭✭✭✭downcow

It was totally relevant. That’s why I mentioned it.

Firstly, that’s not a practical downside - so I guess there are none?

secondly, I said I believe the vote for unionist parties will be up, just desperately split.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Amazing that I've given you a detailed break down of this on numerous occasions, going back several years. You've never been close to a rebuttal, every time you disappear for a little bit and then pop back in with the, 'Ireland has never been unified' nonsense as if it never happened.

Yes; Ireland absolutely was Unified before the Anglo-Norman invasion, yes it was a different political situation that is difficult to compare to modern day ideas of Unification (it was an awful long time ago after all,so a more feudal system), but even with the most cynical of views, the position of Ard Rí existed and at many points existed without opposition.

I'm not going to bother my arse with the long, detailed breakdowns I've given of this before as you'll pop along in a few months with the same nonsense again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,165 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well if your electorate is telling you to fook off I think you have practically run out of support.

Bizarre.

As somebody said about unionists, they hate one another more than they hate SF, good luck trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

The Anglo-Norman invasion. Invasion? You mean invite.

you make my point for me. The kingdoms were feuding and the king of Leinster invited strong bow over to assist him.

if this is your best attempt at evidencing a unified island, then I despair

ps would you be happy if OWC formed a wee kingdom in the event of unification?

• Advertisement

So no practical downsides for us unionists. Just as I thought. Thanks for confirming

Yeh, Unionism sundered probably forever.

Very practical.

Cant believe you are trying to set up a victory for electoral disaster now as well.

Loony tunes.

Do you never ever ever actually answer a question.

I did.

The notion a hammering in an election has no practical affect is just loony tune stuff. A fractured Unionist body politic? Forced to stamp your feet as everyone else out votes you?

Not an ounce of sense in your theory. Not surprising given the blind alleys you have gone up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: I'm going to rein this thread back on topic (Brexit & NI) now. No more tit-for-tat bickering about culture or the likes!

• Advertisement

So the summary of what am saying is, going forward I think Brexit will have lesss and less negative impact on ni. The sea checks will get less and the chill factor on nationalists will fade away. I will be, as you were, in due course

Nationalists are happy that all the political party’s in the south coalesced on Brexit and ensured the best possible outcome from a shltshow(Brexit) for the island as a whole. They continue to stand back while unionism/loyalism splinters itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,339 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Perhaps you're too quick to be reassured. While there has not been a rise in the percentage who say they would vote for a united Ireland, there has been a marked decline in the percentage who say that they would vote to remain in the UK — down from 60-65% in polls before the Brexit referendum to 51% in the latest poll. A unionist should surely be concerned that majority support for the union is, apparently, hanging by a thread?

Obviously, the difference is explained by a rising proportion of "don't knows", and this parallels a rising proportion of people claiming neither a British nor an Irish identity, voting for parties that are neither unionist nor nationalist, etc.

This group is open to considering a united Ireland in a way that the group saying they will vote for the union is not. Whether they would, in the event, vote for a UI may depend on the details of the UI proposal that is put before them. They don't show up as UI supporters now, in part, because there is no UI proposal for them to consider and affirm or reject.

This trend hasn't yet (in my view) continued to the point where enough of them would be drawn to a concrete UI proposal to result in a border poll voting for a UI; if there's a border poll in the next couple of years it will be lost.

But unionists should still be concerned. There is no reason (beyond wishful thinking) to suppose that the trend will stop or reverse at this point; it could continue. Unionists would do well to reflect on whether this trend is the result of (a) the policies, positions, attitudes, etc of the British government; or (b) the policies, positions, attitudes, etc, of political unionism or of unionist representatives; or (c) demography or (d) some combination of all of these things. And they should also consider what they can do about any of these things to try to alter or reverse the trend.

Restoration of Stormont (if indeed it is restored) on the basis of the deal that Donaldson has secured (if indeed he has secured a deal) isn't, I think, going to be a game-changer in itself. Unionism faces a deeper crisis that that. To my mind, this whole episode reveals a deep streak of decadence in unionism. I don't mean decadence in the sense of cocaine binges and partying while the world collapses; I mean decadence in the sense of decay; a profound loss of confidence in the future. One of the striking features of this whole episode is that unionists were clearly terrified to ask their supposed friends in British politics to stand by the union and to prioritise its health and security; they knew that if they asked that the answer would be "no" and they didn't want to hear that answer spoken out loud. And that still seems to be the case. We have the absurd and pathetic spectacle of unionists publicly blaming IRL and EU for not protecting them from the British government's Brexit plans, when the whole logic of both unionism and brexitry is that neither IRL nor EU have any business to do that, or should be in any position to do that. They support the union, while making little secret of the fact that the union is not working for them.

Based on the limited information/speculation that we have, the Donaldson deal looks as though it might contain seeds that, if suitably nurtured, offer the prospect of some regrowth of unionist self-confidence. What the deal acheives is very, very limited; but it does show two things. First, the UK accepts that the way to avoid hardening the sea border is for GB not to diverge from EU. And, secondly, the UK accepts that some degree of GB alignment with the EU is a price that should be paid in order to avoid hardening the sea border.

This is, as I say, very little. A lot of unionist critics of the deal point out that what they want is not for the sea border to get no harder than it already is; it's for the sea border to be softened to nothing. The logic of this deal, though, points to the only feasible way of doing that; for GB to realign towards the EU. Unionists should now say, out loud, in as many words, that this is what should happen, because the union is more important than Brexit. And they should stop toadying to their British "friends" who prioritise Brexit over the union. That would be the first step towards the very necessary rebuilding of unionist self-confidence and self-respect. While it won't lead to the British government falling over backwards and applying for EEA membership, it will at least represent unionists doing their bit to build space in UK politics for those who that that this is right and necessary. If unionists won't play their part in trying to protect and strengthen the union, they can't whinge about the failures of others.

Perhaps you're too quick to be reassured. While there has not been a rise in the percentage who say they would vote for a united Ireland, there has been a marked decline in the percentage who say that they would vote to remain in the UK — down from 60-65% in polls before the Brexit referendum to 51% in the latest poll. A unionist should surely be concerned that majority support for the union is, apparently, hanging by a thread?

If you couple that with the majorities in both jurisdictions who want a BP (even if they haven't made up their minds) to be held I think there are many who want the debate to be held. They want to see what each option offers them into the future.

Downcow pretends to not be concerned by Unionist support splintering at elections but he really should be. One day he will wake up and an SoS will have called a BP because it will be clear to him/her what elections and polling are saying.

Don’t agree with much of the early part of your post, but I do agree completely with the latter points. The problem is the arrogance of the DUP will not allow them to admit they were wrong and seek greater alignment with the EU to further preserve the union.

I haven’t looked at polling trends for awhile, but I don’t think there is any worrying trend for unionists. The only thing I would agree with Francie on is that it has been a shitshow for seven years. And we hear endlessly how wonderful life could be in a united Ireland, we see the traditional Catholic population grow significantly in numbers. And yet they are 1,000,000 miles from winning a vote and apparently not even closing the gap.

I believe even the figures you see of those that will vote for United Ireland are inflated. Most people I speak to whether unionist or nationalist have no desire for change as dramatic as a united Ireland. If Brexit done one thing it taught everyone to be very very careful about voting for a aspirational change that you cannot undo. So Brexit, in a strange way, has made a positive United ireland vote even more unlikely

You are mixing up, who is winning seats with how people say they would vote in a border pole. They have zero relationship to each other.

At the moment, without a plan to vote for, people are not willing to say they would vote for a UI. But significantly majorities in both jurisdictions want a BP.

Why would they want a BP called?

Because they either want the Union secured or they want to see a plan for a UI produced.

This bit of research from Arins is relevant too I think. A UI is growing as a priority in the South.

Great to hear a journalist at last calling out the secrecy. This really needs to be called out. A political party(not even the majority one) bartering in secret over people lives and livelihoods. Then there will be outrage from the usual quarters if others object to a deal they had no part in negotiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,449 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Unfortunately not practical or cost-effective. The only practical and cost-effective federal solution is one based on the existing border with Northern Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why would anyone even consider such a solution that no-one is proposing save blanch152, and would be rejected hugely by most voters.

It is not part of the GFA or any other agreement, is not proposed as a solution by any political party north or south or in GB. It is a total non-starter.

• Advertisement

It is proposed by those who are so bitter about unification they will hold out for anything else.

It’s anti-the northern Irish people or those they have tried to other all their lives.

They’ll even ally with the most belligerent fundamentalist Unionists/Loyalists to thwart what the Irish people want if it comes to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No it's not. It has no following outside your good self. Not that it has anything to do with Brexit.

Dublin is the economic engine that drives the country, and when you add the multinationals, there is nothing left for the federal gov to fund itself.

It is just nuts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A federal approach would absolutely get turned into exactly the kind of intransigence and veto that's already plaguing politics up North. The idea of a local "Ulster" government strangling or blocking national policy - which it absolutely would given the players still present - makes federalism a functional fringe concept.

The idea that Stormont can work when it never has is in the realm of fantasy. Partition made the north ungovernable and a failure. It never worked for even close to all it’s people.

This is what the Irish government should be saying loud and clear. But good that it is made clear all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

They're some crack the the Dup

A tiny minority who shot themselves in the foot over brexit dictating to the rest of the island

Their day will be over eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It's incredible to me that they're still able to garner so much support. They're simply not very good at politics.

Are there any age profiles of their voters? Are they all really old by any chance?

• Advertisement

The old men of Sinn Fein shouting and waving their fists at the moon. Nothing much changes.

Advertisement