Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Brutal, disheartening, depressing, disjointed, lacklustre, clueless, leaderless display, the underdogs from Tg4 would have put up a better fight.. we deserved nothing and no amount of roarin about pride in the maroon and white in the dressing room will sort that.. It's deeper than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Poor display, didn't get going, I wouldn't be too worried, Ist game of the league. Mayo had a strong team out and we were off the pace, put Kelly, comer, McDaid and silke back into that team and it changes it but still alot to do. I thought Gleeson was solid and o conghaile has alot of potential. No harm to get a bit of a kick in the hole and let the neighbours start talking about all Ireland's again in January.

I love your optimism, are you on the beer🍺🍺 already 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Was Comer injured? If so I'd have to ask what is going on. Or even in general it's chronic. Dublin don't seem to have half the number of injuries we get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Is there any talk at all about moving to an alternate venue - Pearce Stadium is shocking location both for logistics and weather conditions

No drink, but I don't panic or get too excited in january

It's a fine venue, come early and wrap up in January, same as every other ground

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭threeball

Same thing said here every year. Wouldn't worry its just the league, people being accused of being hard on Joyce etc, etc. Go back 12 months in this thread and 12 months before that. You'll see the same conversations. If you think this team will come good you're fooling yourself.

This is not a players issue (although they were poor individually) It's not like they can't execute a gameplan, it's that there is no game plan, or one that's worth a damn at least. Its been the same for years now. Even the run to the all ireland was shambolic in parts. Remember the Armagh game?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Always a fecking gale and traffic/parking is atrocious

Could almost excuse the Gale if we ever used it to our advantage but we can't seem to cope with it

Redeveloping Tuam or build something in Athenry

• Advertisement

No panic really, it's just the handling out there today was terrible from a Galway pov, these lads are trainin together for the last 2 months, O conghaile the only positive... Competing for and winning ball in the middle of the field was poor, that's not something that can be switched on when the championship bell rings, we gave away so much ball sometimes after winning it back I lost count, Walsh left on the field with an injury.. I'm going forward in hope more than expectation with this management team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Mayo not at full strength. Mattie Ruane, Diarmuid O'Connor and Enda Hession would be almost definitely starters. And James Carr is a strong option off the bench. None available today.

It's not too early to judge Galway when the same warning signs were there this time last year. Whether the kickouts are long or short, there's absolutely no plan. Watch how long Gleeson has to wait until he finds someone to kick to. The other team are fully set up in defensive mode. Almost every pass today in the Galway forwardline was to someone with a defender on his back and no quick option to pass to. Mayo on the other hand were full of support runs. Of the Division 1 teams I've seen this weekend we look the worst coached. We could scrape a few wins in the league but it'll probably be when Comer is playing. Christ I naively expected a change from last year's pedestrian stuff, but we're stuck in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭mjp

Shocking stuff from us today but knew we were in trouble from the toss which we won an and elected to play with the wind in first half. Mayo must have been delighted with themselves as we only had two scoring forwards in our front 8 kicking with a wind. Can't understand how we didn't elect to play against wind try and shut up shop and pressurise mayo to build a lead and bring in likes of Conroy Tierney finnerty and o curraion who are our better long range kickers when we have wind behind us in second half. When we played our best football under joyce in last 2 years was when we sat back and defended on edge of D and forced teams to try score through us. It was obvious after 5 mins that Darcy didn't have pace for mc Loughlins and sideline didn't change anything and resulted in the goal. We badly need scoring threat to come from o conghaile and o curraion as we are struggling badly for scorers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Didn't see the toss but didn't realise we won. Exact same as in the championship game in June when we went with it in the first half, knowing full well Mayo had the likes of C O'C coming in which proved crucial. Stupid.

On the kickouts, it's hard not to feel sorry for Gleeson. Options just aren't there. Mayo fairly pushed up in fairness.

I had a feeling we wouldn't win when I saw the teams. But I didn't think we'd be so poor. Losing Comer before throw in was a loss but you'd still have hoped for better. Avoiding relegation will be a struggle now. Hyde Park is crucial now, Rossies will be all out after losing today too.

Comers injuries are too frequent, we need to plan without him, i think too many players are wrapped in cotton wool and love the attention of being injured on the bench. Move on without them and plan without them. Time passes them all out and chances to win an all Ireland, mayo will tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Worthwent14

I really really hope that the team were doing heavy training on Saturday because otherwise the performance was very worrying.

Keeper needs changing and forwards need to be picked.

Does anyone know what corner backs are on the panel? Outside of the 2 lads yesterday and silke and Glynn. Is mulcahy around?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭threeball

There was a severe lack of pace throughout the team in key areas which only exacerbated the slow style with which we build up. Mulkerrin, Maher, D'arcy, Daly and others just aren't quick players. Even molloy isn't that pacey so both your wing backs and centre back aren't burning anyone and midfield is getting overrun you're on a hiding to nothing. We might just about be a top 8 team but our management wouldn't cut it in division 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

I agree with you re: traffic and parking, but if there's a gale in Salthill, then it wouldn't be much less in any other venue in the west of Ireland either. It wasn't so bad yesterday that it prevented the teams from scoring into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭cosatron

Im not going to throw anyone under the bus in January, but yesterday's team has the appearance of team in the middle of a hard spell of training. Shout out to Maher for laying the hammer on O'Donoghue. I know it was a free to mayo but what else could maher do.

• Advertisement

I'd like to hear that they trained Saturday but I really doubt it. Fbd maybe, but the league is important and I just can't see Padraic Joyce binning a home match against mayo just for a big training session.

Galway are really on a hiding to nothing this year. There's absolutely no change in gameplan from last year. It's more obvious now when Kelly and Comer are missing, they provide so much energy themselves that it rubs off, but it's them doing it off the cuff.

Football now involves the other team dropping as many as possible back to stop scores. The All Ireland final last year showed the importance of quick kickouts to try and get up the field quickly. We're still dawdering and yesterday I felt that Gleeson had zero options to aim at.

This is a consistent ten year problem with Galway managements. I'd take any club level coach at this stage if it just meant seeing a proper kick out strategy for once. See what Davy Burke is doing for Roscommon, you can actually see that they worked on football over the winter. Galway look a mess. Need a proper football coach next year. It's another year wasted with Walsh and Comer slipping out of their peak years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

Well, as a Kilkenny supporter, I absolutely hate going to Pearse Stadium. A couple of hours journey over and back, followed by at least an hour in gridlock, before and after the match. Glad to read that many, many Galway supporters feel the same. Some journey for Wexford folk.

Cripes I'm not talking about the Walsh Cup match. I know where it was played.

Try google maps next time for something other than the main routes if you don't know galway, tips are come early and have a pint, have a pint after the match and let the impatient people sit in traffic. Too many people want to arrive last minute and expect to park at the gate and want a clear road home after the match. No pleasing some gaa folk

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Galway did run out of steam last year so you can only hope they are not taking the league seriously this year.

That was terrible. Galway must be the easiest top tier county to defend against. Endless sideays handpassing at walking pace.

Boring also, as well as not effective.

Oh believe me I've tried every possible way to get from the outskirts of Galway city to Pearse Stadium. I've stayed I overnight on occasions and walked from the GMIT area, amongst other things. Obviously numerous Galway people feel the same as I do, judging by comments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Might be something in it as even Lee Keegan said they looked unbelievably leggy on TSG last night. They were stuck to the ground all day. It doesn't help I guess when you select slowish midfielders at wing-forward and full-forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Nonsense……yesterday’s football was brain dead,clueless……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭cosatron

It looks like the whole of the boards community has turned on PJ after just one league match. Do you honestly believe that PJ sent out his team to have John Daly pushing up into midfield considering his position the last 2 years? Do you think he instructed O'Congnaile to shot on sight considering it was his first start for galway. PJ has his faults and his loyalty to gleeson will be his downfall but that match yesterday was a training exercise.

Advertisement