Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Picked up Dungeons of Dreadrock for €1in the eshop sale. Fun little puzzle game with the look of an old school Zelda. Bit of a palate cleanser before I tackle Ganondorf in TOTK.

Also picked up Metamorphosis for a similar price but haven't looked at it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dungeons of Dreadrock is a hidden gem. Some of the levels are really clever. €1 to the end of December. I'm sure most people have gold coins to cover that. 🙂

I'm not sure that I've finished it, I must check!

Started Sanabi this morning. I think I saw it mentioned in one of the Nintendo Facebook groups that I'm in. Loved the look of it so I grabbed it. It came out in November. Got it at a slight discount during the launch window, but it's under €10 now from South Africa.

It's a kind of modern day Bionic Commando with a sprinkling of Katana Zero - a revenge tale set in a dystopian city, trying to track down someone (or something) called Sanabi to avenge something they do to you in the opening of the game. I won't spoil it because it's a cool moment that sets the scene for the game.

It's really fast, has stunning pixel art, great music and is very story-heavy (which is a great thing). Played about an hour, and I'm invested! I can see it getting tricky though. The platforming requires some skill but restarts are instant if you die. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Just hammered through this, brilliant game, there's a demo too so if the low price (£0.89) isn't enough to tempt a run through the demo will do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmmm. The problem with Metroidvanias is that coming back to them can leave you completely lost as to where the F you should be going: thought I'd revisit some abandoned games in the genre; unfortunately map bewilderment notwithstanding, I remember why I dropped Ghost Song & Iconoclasts. The former has awful, floaty controls that feel like I'm walking on the moon; while the latter is just very meh and a bit clunky. Definitely gonna have to hunt around for something better to scratch the perennial itch.

• Advertisement

Ghost Song and Iconoclasts didn't really click with me either. Didn't finish either (and shocker, I stopped playing at a boss in both games too...)

Might try The Last Faith and Moonscars over Christmas.

I have Super Mario RPG (2023 version) and Star Ocean Second Story ready to go for Christmas.

I read Nintendo Life's piece yesterday about Chants of Sennaar (why it should be on Game of the Year lists for 2023), and it sounds fantastic.

I'm on Chapter 4 (out of 5) for Sanabi, so should finish that this weekend. I think I'd like to play over from the start at some stage now that I've mastered the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Return to Monkey Island. Loving it. Lovely laid back nostalgic trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Going to finish up the main quest in TOTK over Christmas. It's a wonderful game. The best games are the ones you don't want to end.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm back into Metroid Prime Remastered, which I'd put down a while back. Always a midtake to put down a game like this psrt way through, it guarantees you need to look at a walkthrough to figure out what you were supposed to do next. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Giving Quake II a bash with the 3rd party gyro controller I got off Amazon last month.

It features these programmable extra rear buttons which suit the gaming style perfectly.

So addictive, never enjoyed the game so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Thoroughly enjoying LA Noire at present. It's a great game and it's on sale at the minute.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Stil tipping away at TOTK.

Have the master sword now and the full Barbarian armour. Now searching for GannonDORK.

Think I'll try and improve my combat skills before ending the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Finished Quake 2 there over the weekend, really enjoyable.

And now onto the expansions.. starting with Quake II 64

It's on sale for €3.99 now too

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/quake-ii

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Based on Retr0 talking about it, I started Liberation Maiden on 3ds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh wow, fair play for still having / playing your 3DS!

It was a long time since I turned it on but battery was still charged which always surprises me.

Activity Log shows last game played was Ace Attorney 3 back in August 2022.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Partners son got Mario Wonder for Christmas, he loves it but will finish it most likely at the weekend. What is similar that he can trade it in for? He’s 7, just got the switch for Christmas too, that was his first Mario game he played.

Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario 3D World + Bowsers fury

New Super Mario U Deluxe

The bottom one is the most similar, but the top 2 are incredible games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I'd recommend Disney Illusion Island. It's a fun platformer for up to 4 players. Co op mode is great to help the smaller kids and the dialogue and gameplay is fun for the adults. I enjoyed it very much. It's on sale in Smyth's at the moment

• Advertisement

Has he got all coins, gold flagpoles, badges, hidden levels etc.? There is more to do after beating Bowser, so don't be in a rush to trade it too soon. There is at 10+ hours of extra work to do to fully finish everything. If he has finished everything, there will be 6 yellow flag icons on the save select screen.

As for Disney Illusion Island, it's pretty easy though. If he breezed through Wonder, DII will be a cakewalk.

Good game though, I played through the whole game and enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd recommend Kirby and the forgotten land as well. However hang on to Mario for a bit. Usually the post game of the latest Mario games is quite substantial and challenging.

Just throw Hollow Knight at them and be done with it - they'll either love you or despise you; kill or cure lol

Also, if he likes platformers, Rayman Legends is brilliant. You can get it cheap, so don't trade a first party Nintendo game for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Horace is a great platform game for all ages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I second this. There are about 300+ switch games in this house and Mario wonder comes second to Minecraft and both are trumped by Mario Odyssey.

Aside from the Marios you already mentioned (dont forget Mario Kart also if you want something that's not a platform)....Might be worth your while having a look at the Kirbys as well, especially Kirbys forgotten Land and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (Although that's a little bit tougher than the Mario games).

Bayonetta 3. Just started it and at least it's being consistent with the previous games in I have no idea what I'm doing or what's going on but a lot of crazy stuff is happening.

Ahhhh. That's better: having been cranky about "floaty" Metroidvanias, here's a good one. Sundered (from devs of Spiritfarer / Jotun) has some "rogue lite" aspects to it and the controls are precisely what I like in my 'vanias. Really responsive, with my character feeling energetic and dextrous from the off the moment I press a button. In fact if there's a quibble she's nearly too zippy 'cos a couple of times I've missed a ledge cos whoosh, she flies over it lol.

The art-style is gorgeous, and is probably best enjoyed on the big screen as it is a little bit of the sort that is too small for Handheld. Not unplayably so, we're not talking Ori here, but a couple of times the camera zooms out and the detail is lost.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wanted to love Sundered but the game just throws so much bullshit at the player and it's unrelenting. Maybe they patched it but it found it obnoxious when I tried it.

Advertisement