Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd have to go check but if you go into Options => Accessibility, you can adjust the difficulty. There's a full "No Fail" god mode, but IIRC thre's also a slider to adjust the damage you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Look in the settings. There are lots of things to change - you can make yourself invincible if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just started Golf Story last night as it is again half-off in the eShop. What a charming game! I see that a sequel was announced in the Indie Direct during the week also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yep, me too.

I've not played it since a couple of hours after it was released.

I played it last night and really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 the_covey

I ordered the physical copy of this so I'm glad to hear that it's worth it. I've been playing Harvestella in the meantime. Odd combo of JRPG and farming sim. Wouldn't have thought that combo could be worth playing but for the exceptional Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin so when I saw the promo for Harvestella, I decided to take a punt on it. So far, (20+ hours in) so good, haven't scratched the surface of the story yet but the game is truly beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I have put a couple of hours into Sonic Frontiers. It's fun. Enjoying it so far. Nothing earth shattering.

I just finished both Ori games, back to back. Unbelievable games, I loved them both.

I think I slightly preferred the first one!

Started Ghost Song - much different pace. 🙂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Out of curiousity: did you play them on the TV or handheld? I tried playing them but 99.9% play handheld, found the screen too small relative to the zoomed-out view of the overall gameplay.

98% handheld.

I had to switch to a proper controller and TV for some of the escapes and boss battles. The joycons were giving me hand cramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

yeah I too wanted to get Ori, and tried the demo on my Switch Lite but almost went blind with the small sprites :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, I needed big screen and pro controller for the first game on Switch. Played the sequel on XBox in 4K. Both lovely games. Takes a bit of time to understand the controls and then it hooks you in.

The studio who created these games must be due to show something new soon.

They are working on an action RPG. No name or any real details yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Fire Emblem Three Houses I found I had messed up with the options I chose as the blue lions and have returned to a previous save file now diligently grinding out renowned to get the weapons from the abyss. Also trying to recruit vital members of the rival houses and do the dlc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Got back into playing Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu a few days ago, and have five badges so far. I also played a few minutes of Pokemon Scarlet but I haven't chosen my starter yet.

Finished up Tunic and I had a feeling; the vibe of the thing throughout gave me suspicion but then I beat the boss and got it. The thin ending that made me think "oh no, this is one of those games with a 'True Ending'". It's irrational but I really hate games that do that.

I'm playing through Aeterna Noctis right now. It's challenging but not impossible (yet).

I'm about 6 hours in. I just finished the Tower, and now I'm in the Forge area. Bloody huge game and I'm hooked.

I'm playing through the easier Aeterna mode and it's still enough of a challenge to feel rewarding.

FYI €29.99 here but just over a tenner in Brazil. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Or 9.94 on SA which suits for an easy "EU region" change of country and no faffing with other accounts and credits.

Picked up Ghost Story after some recommendations; taking a while to click. The movement of the main character feels a tad floaty, while the UI has definitely not been optimised for handheld, being utterly miniscule in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Speaking of not clicking, I bought the Bioshock Collection a while ago and started on the first one but it's felt like a slog to get through most of it. I've gone back to it from time-to-time because so many people love it and I'm trying to finish games before buying anything new. I'm probably 3/4 of the way through now and finally starting to enjoy it. Maybe by the end I'll be dying to jump into the next one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I liked them all. 2 was the weakest - just play it back to back with the first, its essentially like an elongated DLC, but the first one I admired most for its design, systems and sense of place. It was the third one that I found hardest to put down. Which I expect puts me firmly in the minority.

Both bioshock settings would make for fantastic TV series, there's so much story and theme to explore. An Objectivist dystopia would be quite the setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm playing on the Switch Lite so probably lost a lot in terms of immersion and the controls being a bit janky. I'll have to see about moving to 2 after I finish 1. Might need a break 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Bioshock Infinite is one of the most beautiful things out there that's absolutely let down by decision after decision. I'd still say it's worth it but also kinda still annoyed by what could've been. Minerva's Den remains one of the most consistent things with the name Bioshock on the cover.

Actually reminds me that we've heard next to nothing about Bioshock 4 since it was announced. Ken Levine isn't involved as far as I know, which I'm taking a tick in the plus column at this stage.

Dropped Ghost Song cos I really hated the way it felt to play. Too floaty, too imprecise and the combat was bloody awful as a result. Died too many times just trying to respond to enemy patterns. Game looked pretty no question about that - but ick, it all felt like driving a truck in a F1 race.

So seeing it was on sale, finally picked up Eastward and yay! A much better, more polished experience; controls like a dream, really snappy and responsive so the ARPG combat is fun. Game itself overall has a really pleasing vibe, though the first hour or so has a weird pace; with an odd emphasis on mini games, and a lot of backtracking for menial plot momentum. Despite that, having a blast so far.

Playing Aeterna Noctis - stuck on the Dark King boss.

Playing Knight Witch - stuck on an Arena in the third dungeon.

Playing Rogue Legacy 2 - stuck on the boss in the third biome.

Playing Ghost Song - stuck a boss (mini-boss?) about 4 hours in.

Playing Astronite - stuck on the east watchtower.

Sigh. 😏

Man, and I thought I liked Metroidvanias lol 🤭

Easily my favourite genre. 🙂

I got Persona 5 Royal about a month ago (as my Christmas game to play while I'm off work).

Started it this morning. After 2 hours of it today, I'm hooked. 🙂

• Advertisement

17 hours into P5R. Incredible game, I can see why it's so highly regarded. I'm a couple of hours into the buildup towards the second palace (dungeon) and I think there are 7 of them. This game is gigantic.

Advertisement