Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

My submission on the proposed Waterways Ireland Bye-Laws:

"Bye-Law 10 Prohibited Activity on canal property includes (n) Exceed a speed of 15 kilometres per hour on any bicycle, tricycle or powered personal transporter while using any greenway.

If implemented, this prohibition will render the Canal Greenways totally useless for any serious long-distance or touring cyclist. I have regularly cycled the Mullingar to Maynooth sections of the Royal Canal Greenway and also completed the full Cloondra to Dublin route in a day. At all times I have been concious of the need to slow down and use my bell when approaching pedestrians and have never received one complaint about my behavior.

The Maynooth to Mullingar section of the RCG is a key part of the proposed Dublin to Galway Greenway and also of EuroVelo Route 2 that will eventually run from Moscow to Galway. I am not aware of any other section of this or other EuroVelo route that is subject to such a restrictive speed limit.

Completion of the RCG between Maynooth and Dublin in conjunction with the relevant Councils should be a major priority for Waterways Ireland. Once this is completed, it will become a significant bike commuter route in both directions given the extent of housing, education and employment opportunities along its length. This should result in a major shift away from unsustainable forms of transport with consequential environmental benefits. Implementing a speed limit of 15km/h will seriously undermine the usefulness and attractiveness of this section for commuting cyclists in particular. I am not as familiar with the Grand Canal Greenway or Barrow Line but imagine my concerns are equally applicable there also."

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

"Completion of the RCG between Maynooth and Dublin in conjunction with the relevant Councils should be a major priority for Waterways Ireland. Once this is completed, it will become a significant bike commuter route in both directions given the extent of housing, education and employment opportunities along its length. This should result in a major shift away from unsustainable forms of transport with consequential environmental benefits. Implementing a speed limit of 15km/h will seriously undermine the usefulness and attractiveness of this section for commuting cyclists in particular. I am not as familiar with the Grand Canal Greenway or Barrow Line but imagine my concerns are equally applicable there also.""

Agree with this but I suspect the nimbys especially along the Deep Sinking section will prevail. Just stall it long enough until the next recession and then the funds will dry up. As regards the proposed 15 km limit it's more aspirational than realistic. Who would enforce it? I tend to average 20 k if the path is clear but am very conscious of pedestrians and always slow down and give them a wide berth. An old fashioned bicycle bell works wonders especially when approaching from behind. However, I often see scooters in particular zooming along at over 30 k. No wonder pedestrians are pissed off. At that speed they can do some serious damage. You can't legislate common sense and courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

On the speed thing, even though its unenforceable, if it's passed, it becomes a stick to beat you with, and all the worse because it's unenforceable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Speed limit is a joke.

If there's a problem with "budget" on the deepsinking, it because they've completely over engineered it.

The minimum it needs to be is a simple level path.

Whereas now it involves, flyover, walls, fences, opening up alleyways, making a park, cantilevered walkways, lights. Left alone they'd squeeze another childrens hospital out of it.

• Advertisement

The new bridge on the canal at the 3rd lock near Binn's Bridge. Still plenty of work left to do on this section before it reopens next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Saw they’ve launched consultation for the next section, up from Des Kelly’s. Seem to reclaiming a section of the canal to extend the width of the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I heard from someone who was in a meeting with WI yesterday that they've scrapped the speed limit idea (though others in the meeting weren't pleased)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

I decided to take advantage of the the good forecast for today and did the loop from the city to Ardclough on the Grand, and back through Celbridge and leixlip via the Royal today. The forecast turned out to be wrong with heavy mist throughout the trip making conditions fairly miserable.

The stretch from the 12th lock to Hazelhatch was really wet and muddy and I found it difficult to maintain enough speed to blast through the muck and eventually lost momentum and went down, otherwise the Grand was fine.

The return journey on the Royal was uneventful until I got to The Deepsinking with the middle and end section so bad they were dangerous.The middle and highest section, which has the heaviest concentration of exposed tree roots and rock, was lethal as the path was covered with leaves making it difficult to pick your way through the hazzards, the path seems to have become very narrow and was very slippery. I eventually lost my nerve and walked the worst part of the mid section. I remounted for the last section and very nearly got caught out by one of the three drainage channels on the canal side, these seem to have encroached further into the pathway, with one taking up at least half the width of the already narrow path.

Im a big fan of the Deepsinking and have cycled it dozens of times, and fallen (not into the canal!) several time so Im not a complete coward, but it was so dangerous today, and for the first time ever, I didnt enjoy it. I think there may be a need to post warning signs on the Deepsinking as sadly it seems to have become 'an accident waiting to happen'.

Despite the miserable weather, and poor cycling conditions, any trip on the canal is better than one just about anywhere else.

Not sure if they are still there but there certainly used to be "No Cycling" signs at the Deep Sinking. For years I ignored them but a while back I decided it just wasn't worth the risk any more. Even walking there when it's wet is no joy with slippery roots, rocks and those drainage gullys.

• Advertisement

That's just them covering their ass really, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Exactly. Bet that whoever decided on that signage never pedalled a bike in their life.

I didnt notice the sign(s) on this trip, I also confess that I did see them in the past and treated them in much the same way as I have the "Cylcists Dismount" signs elsewhere on the canal, my assumption being that these were intended to rightly give priority to pedestrians and that if there were no pedestrians there was no harm done by cycling, provided I dismounted to give right of way whenever I met a pedestrian.

I think the Deep Sinking now warants a DANGER! warning, particuarly in winter.

Are people not capable of looking at and evaluating a situation without the need for warning signs . One wouldn’t have to be Einstein to realise that cycling on a muddy, stony track , criss crossing by tree roots, very close to a steep drop requires some caution. Anyone incapable of reading the situation for themselves should not be allowed out with a bike in the first place.

I agree with you, however the approach from the public road to the Deep Sinking is OK its only when you get a couple of hundred meters into it that you realise how bad it is. If the signs are still there I think they need to mention the something like "Danger of falling" and or the symbol you often see on road signs showing a car (a bicycle would be good!) driving off the edge of an unprotected quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mattser

Met a clown with 2 loose German Shepherds on that stretch recently. There's no sign made to deal with that type.

That's part of the issue here. No personal responsibility. Someone will have an accident, say it wasn't their fault as there was no signs, and a judge will agree with them.

It's hardly the Grand Canyon. The signage is a product of ambulance chasers and the legal system that encourages them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Had my two GSDs on the deep sinking a few weeks ago and we met an absolute hoor of a clown barrelling through on a bike struggling and slipping all over the shop - despite the NO CYCLING sign.

There's no accounting!!!

• Advertisement

It's not the Grand Canyon, but I did see someone come off a bike in front of me, and nearly fall down the steep bank.

And other posters here have recounted how they find it really dangerous.

It's subjective. I love that section myself. But I have friends who won't cycle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭FinnC

Wouldn't be like a cyclist to not obey road signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Unlike drivers, who never disobey a road sign, like say, for speed...oh, wait, never mind 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The stretch is 1.75km long, I could argue that the really bad bit is 1.2km long.

Pushing the bike is at worst 12mins longer than cycling it, I've no idea how this is such an obstacle to some people. Just get off, push and enjoy the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GalwayGooner1996

Does anyone know what the status of the Deep Sinking is? On the Galway-Dublin cycleway website it says that planning and design is pencilled in for 2024 but I haven’t seen anything recently to suggest that it has been progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Had a stroll between the Leixlip stations today .No doubt it’s a game changer for ‘wheeled conveyances ‘ .Maybe was just feeling a bit negative but couldn’t help wonder how the increased ease of access ( and speedy egress?!) might encourage ‘anti social behaviour ‘ .I cast aside my negative vibes .Half an hour later I saw two youths haring through St Catherine’s Park helmetless on a large scooter ( ‘Burgman ‘ style ?) This was before 1030am !Hopefully we don’t see previously tranquil parts of this route become problematic .

Maybe we need some kissing gates. That'll solve the problem.

They are trying to get a hotel and 8 story apartments included in the plan....

• Advertisement

Advertisement