Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GalwayGooner1996

Only 8? Should have gone higher!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,532 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Apply for 8 build 24. Argue after it's built.

Never done the deep siding in winter. However last time I did it on folding bike which wasn't ideal.

Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

I cycled the Deep Sinking on a friend’s hybrid about 3 years ago in March/April time. Was passable but wouldn’t go that route again as I now have my own road bike. Luckily have a cycling pal in the area who knows the alternative route to get back to Clonsilla.

Might be time to badger Fingal Co Co for some info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

"With SDCC kicking off 12th Lock to the border..."

Nothing happening on this section, and if the Kildare section is anything to go by it will be another year to 18 months before anything is completed.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

AFAIK, they are working on the documents required to lodge a planning application for the route along the northern bank. Because they know WW3 will break out when these are published and because no one at a senior position in Fingal seems to be championing the Greenway, it is likely to take many more months if not years before any real progress is made.

It's an old argument on this thread. But I think (for the deep sinking) they could have got a less antagonistic proposal across the line as a version 1.0 and expanded on it later. Instead they went for a over engineed proposal with all the bells and ribbons. Almost designed to annoy people.

I think they'll be arguing over it for years.

You'd think on the existing path you could cut the roots and overgrowth back a little and improve the existing path enormously. That would do while they argue about the other side. But no.

Anyway it's only a short diversion around it on the road.

Spotted a guy working on a section of the deep sinking today. Wearing high viz, with a wheelbarrow and other tools.

Passed on the train, so no idea what type of work was being carried out.

Stealing wheelbarrows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What.s the state of the Maynooth to Louisa Bridge section? Was on the Confey-Louisa bridge section earlier, but a combination of missing the turn to go under the bridge and the cold/frost made me turn back towards Leixlip and Dublin. Is it road-bike rideable?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was on it a month ago on a road bike and between Maynooth & Carton, a tractor that had been working there appears to have made muck out of the surface.

Between Carton and Louisa Br, just use the road!

I noticed some flooding on the path from recent rains too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Any recommendations on where to park in Maynooth near the canal?

*edit scratch that I've asked this before and train station was recommended. Ignore my old man moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Does anyone have a map pof where to hop on and off the canal when by passing the deep sinking? Currently planning a route from Galway to Dublin via the canal for late spring / early summer as a coast to coast spin. Ta!

You just skip the bit between Coolmine and Castleknock Train Stations.

Passed today and it was in decent enough condition. I wouldn't want to do it on a road bike myself though.

Tractor was cutting the hedge this morning too. Between Maynooth and Pike Bridge/Carton House.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

Just received an email from Waterways Ireland with the results of the last round of consultations.

I've cut out and highlighted the most pertinent bit

I think that counts as a result?

Post edited by cletus on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just came on to post the same, as also got the email. Definitely taking it as a result tbh - would've been the thin end of the wedge, even if entirely unpractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah great result. would have I think just added to the antagonism that exists sometimes between walkers and cyclists.

• Advertisement

Just had an update on Phase 3 of the Dublin section of the Greenway dropped in the door. It's from Gayle Ralph who describes herself as "Your New Local Representative" but in reality seems to be a potential Fine Gael candidate in the next Council election.

It does go into some detail on the various delays experienced and projected and reads like an official presentation to Councillors on the scheme. In summary, the opening dates for the various sub-sections are now:

Cross Guns to Binns Bridge - Q2 2024

Binns Bridge to Russell Street (Bloody Sunday Bridge!) - early 2025

Russell Street to Clarke's Bridge (Ballybough Road) - Q1 2025

Clarke's Bridge to Charleville Mall (North Strand) - Q2 2025

Don't hold your breath as all dates are subject to no further unanticipated delays being experienced!

On the Maynooth to Drumcondra train yesterday and noticed very little work on the greenway between Maynooth and Leixlip. The area between Confey and Louisa Bridge is completed but the rest of the tow path remains the same, aside from a little section adjacent to Intel.

Very disappointing as I believe the plan was for it to be completed this summer.

Apparently the Louisa Bridge to Maynooth section will be starting in the next month nor two...

Good to hear SB. Maybe it will inspire Fingal to get a move on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think they've actually been on for a few weeks. I never got around to posting about them.

Yeah, I spotted them in late December or early Jan. Saw a sparks working on the cable terminations, and then they were on a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Gerry

While annoying to be waiting this long I always thought the leixlip to maynooth section would get done. Further on, say out to coolmine, I'm less hopeful. Anyone have any ideas re Fingals sections?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

So, I've only every started trips on the Royal at Enfield, and headed west.

How far east could you start, and have Greenway the whole way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Advertisement