Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The section around Leixlip between Confey and Louisa Bridge is very good but it fails between Louisa Bridge and Maynooth. However, from Maynooth west is fine on a road bike with the surface being either tarmac or crushed gravel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Latest update from DCC on their Phase 3 works between Phibsborough and the North Strand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Must have a look on google maps, so I can get my head around the sections. Didn't think it was going to be almost another year!

Sure while you're waiting, maybe Fingal and Kildare Co Cos will complete their sections 🤔

• Advertisement

I noticed today that they are putting new exercise equipment along the section from Ossory Road to Sheriff St. Good step, and I hope they don't get vandalised.

I've also noticed a sharp increase in drug dealing along here. There was always people scoring around the railway underbridge. But the past while there's been more aggressive dealers, closer to Sheriff end. Well set up with chairs, and a lookout standing on a garage roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

I would be rather concerned that 'surfacing' the canal banks is going to turn them into a haven for dodgy folk on escooters etc who might previously have avoided them .The toolkit didnt last 24 hours up this end

I frequently walk the newly surfaced section from Confey to Louisa Br and can't recall the last time I saw an escooter in use along it. The toolkit damage was a disgrace but in all likleihood was done by locals (possibly not kids!)

So I've booked the train to Athlone, last minute, to cycle the greenway to Mullingar, and possibly on to Maynooth from there. Haven't done that first stretch before. Do I go left out of Athlone station, and join the greenway here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/o5ftD5s2THnHrsvw5

Or can I head into the town, and cross the new bridge they opened last year, and start it from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

B. From Connaught to Leinster, obviously. Get into St. Catherine's Park and you are all the way to Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Have you a specific route you'd recomend in from the park? I'm looking at a similar spin but don't know that area and if there are shared bikepaths etc? I'd be taking my time and just in tour mode.

Ended up getting to Mullingar 5 mins too late for the train, so continued to Enfield.
    Made a wrong turn somewhere, which put me on the wrong side of the canal. Didn’t want to turn back, so continued on difficult terrain until the next bridge.
    Then had to blast it at max effort to make the next train.
    Just got to the platform as it was pulling in. Not sure the legs could have handled having to continue to Maynooth for a local train.

My preferred route is along the north side of the Liffey from the steps at Lucan bridge to Chapelizod bridge, cross the river and then along the tow path and through the War Memorial park. Probably not a great choice at rush hour, but usually quiet enough! From there to O'Connell bridge there's lots of cycle paths on the north side, but not the nicest of scenery.

Stopped for a coffee in a popular and pretty hostelry on the Kildare/Meath border. While supping my water on the bench outside (the Angelus bell had not yet peeled) I was told by staff to move my bike, which was resting like Flann O'Brien's policeman against the wall, to the public rack across the road. Move it I did, to Maynooth.

Had my coffee in a well appointed and fashionable eatery. A cup of 1960's Irel coffee would have improved things immensely. The fruit scone was thankfully 100% fresh and tasty.

Great cycle with old pals, managed to be ahead of or behind all the showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Interesting.. on both counts. can the maynooth establishment be named at least, since that was good?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Peeling1979

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

If you Google I think theres a video (Youtube) which shows a cyclist doing the route in about two minutes (obviously speeded up!)It is possible to get on the wrong side of the canal and end up bogged down or in a cul de sac after several KMs

Ah, let me see… the JEWEL in the crown of that cafe is their fruit scones!

I hope the other place are not FURIOUS with my review. I'll be back, its usually a good gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Was it one of those wheel bending toaster racks to add insult to injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

Surprised at the establishment that asked you to move the bike, they're normally very good to deal with.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to speculate on the Maynooth JEWEL that you liked - is it Shoda?

My recollection is that they're proper stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yeah I'd been hoping it wasn't them to be honest. That's a bit unfortunate. But I've not had much interaction there on the bike as they've usually been closed when I pass.

Advertisement