Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FM3 or FM5 would be the best place to start although I hear the FM1 remake is pretty great. They're pretty simple tactical RPGs, nothing as complicated as advance wars or FF Tactics but they are no less fun due to it.

Two things to note if you start with FM 3 as it's the one I'm most familiar with.

First, you get a choice to make at the start of the game (go with a character or not) which leads to two branching paths which are effectively two very different storylines and both are worth playing. The Emma storyline is way better fleshed out with multiple paths through and tonnes of characters you can recruit of make enemies of. The other path is still worth doing.

Secondly the mech parts system is a bit misleading. Your fully upgraded level 3 armour is always going to seem better than any other parts you collect on the way. Sticking with the same armour is a mistake though as the newer armour will be better if you upgrade it. As the abilities you can learn are from different armours so it's much better to change armour when you see a new one. There's loads of really fun broken abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

I last played it a decade ago on the Wii U VC, now, it's time to revisit the world of Earthbound. Masterfully quirky, and the music...man, the music, I still can hum along to the tunes after a single playthrough ten years ago...amazing stuff.

Anyway, Onett done, Twoson awaits....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can still remember the scratch'n sniff advertisement in EGM, a US gaming magazine I used to buy.

I really must play it.

That, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, and Monkey Island, guilty I've not played them properly. Maybe 2024 is the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

First game I ever played as soon as I got my 64. Still remember clearly where I was sitting, the tape loading etc.

• Advertisement

The loading screen image and the music was excellent as well.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finished links awakening DX. One of the best Zelda games and see how it's held in such high regard. The final two dungeons were so good and the final boss fight was great.

The colour dungeon added to DX though... Why did they bother.

Going to continue with Megaman V on the Gameboy and then finish off a few more of the Guild01 games on the 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

What Guild games you got left to finish off?

I'm trying to do a sweep of all those games I've got like 90% on, just to clear them up but then ended up getting myself the We Love Katamari remaster, along with Monkey Ball Banana Blitz HD, so I'm pretty sure that's sealed me off until 2024.

I've liberation maidan, starship damrey and weapon shop omasse.

The first two are 90 minute jobs. Omasse seems more substantial.

• Advertisement

If you get a chance while it's still fresh in your mind, give Link's Awakening DX HD a go...

^^ Brand new, and naturally been nuked by Nintendo already, but it's out there. Seemingly it's pretty amazing...

I gave it a go already. It's an interesting project but the interconnected open world kind of breaks the game, it just wasn't designed for it. The recent switch remake suffers from it a little. It's kind of a good example of how games are built around limitations and sometimes removing them negatively affects the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

This is a great article on just that: the structure of the Link’s Awakening overworld structure.

Lets try get these two working

The 1st game I played on my C64 was Shadow Warriors [it has a poor rating here - https://www.lemon64.com/game/shadow-warriors] but I loved it. The intro screen music was excellent.

I'm guessing that's a conversion of the arcade ninja gaiden.

I remember playing a lot of data easy conversions on the C64 which for some reason we're really great conversions. Sly spy secret agent, dragon ninja. Taito as well with rainbow islands, bubble bobble and operation wolf off the top of my head.

Still works!

Very annoying issue, Ive a load of custom teams I made as a kid on Sensible Soccer saved on disks but the game disks I have seems to be the original Sensible Soccer and not the 92/93 season version which I think I had originally.

Must have lost the game disks at some stage and replaced them with the older game so my saved disks arent compatible.

Off to Ebay so...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played some Einhander this evening, that game is stunning, and more so that it was Square's first try at the genre.

• Advertisement

I wish they followed it up but then again it wasn't like the ps1 era wasn't filled by quality square games.

Yep, a decent conversion too IMO. Data East had some terrific games alright.

Thanks for mentioning that game. I just gave it a try - superb shooter!

Yes, they hadn't made one before, they never made one again, yet they made such an impressive game.

I mean, it is easily up there with RType Delta, if not better.

Just to be pedantic, they made king's knight for msx and NES.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Browsing ROMs on the Steam Deck at work last night, I was intrigued by the box art of this. Dead of the Brain 1 & 2, a PC Engine CD game that has been recently translated to English.

Visual novel/point and click stuff isn't my cup of tea but apparently this is gorey so it had my interest. It's very slow moving so I'll need to figure out some sort of turbo move on the emulator!

I heard it's pretty good for a VN with great art. What I can definitely vouch for is the soundtrack which is peak 90s videogame synth. Well the PC 98 version (which I think has a translated version available). I imagine PC engine soundtrack is weaker.

I've played the first part of the translated PC98 version, it's pretty great. Great atmosphere, great artwork, great music....must get back to it. Hopefully part 2 gets the translation treatment

Finished up Megaman V on the Gameboy. Great game but I regret starting it before I found out about the colourised GBC rom Hack which makes some of the more samey early levels look way better and more distinct.

Back to the 3DS and finishing those Guild games off. I started and finished Liberation Maiden last night. Fun little project with a unique control scheme. It's only about an hour long but good fun for that hour. Feels like a vertical slice pitch for a bigger project but that's kind of what the guild games were about.

Started Starship Damrey but early days for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any other PCE CD standout stuff worth noting? The only game I really know from the system is Rondo of Blood, otherwise I'm going in fairly blind. My Turbo Everdrive Pro should be here in the next day or two so cant wait to have a flick through the library and see what's on there.

Advertisement