Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's mostly shooters. I hear kaze Kiri is good. Ys 4 had a fan translation and worth checking out. It's the best of the ys4 games (the SNES had a ys 4 game but it's a totally different game from the PC engine one) it's non canonical but also way better than the SNES game, which got remade as the much better ys: celceta.

Loads of shooters. Air Zonk. The best versions of lords of thunder and gate of thunder. Spriggan. Gradius 2. Star parodied.

Tengai makyou also finally got a fan translation.

Heard good things about last alert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's also versions of exile and exile 2 that remove the working designs changes and makes them playable again.

I forgot about saphire as well. That's probably the pinnacle of PC engine CD shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I quite liked Ys Book 1 and 2 (I didn't try 3 and 4 which are also on it - not sure if there are translation patches yet) and since I am partial to the odd shooter : Gate of Thunder, Cotton, Darius, Lords of Thunder, R-Type, Raiden, Zero Wing and a few others.

Original Splatterhouse is on it too it that's your type of thing.

One that I was surprised / delighted to find a console version of was LucasArts Loom, which I played once almost to completion on a 286 pc with a black and white screen in the mid nineties. There's also a pretty decent version of the original prince of Persia, a couple of wonderboy games etc..

Original Shin Megami Tensei is on there too. And a surprisingly good version of Snatcher too if you can locate a translation for it.

And that's before you get to the weird stuff.

Nice console. Enjoying my one. Considering getting the Analogue Duo.. if only I could get it to output on a CRT I would already have one.

• Advertisement

Ys book 1 and 2 are great but the PC/PSP remake is the definitive way. Ys is a little archaic and I'd recommend the remake ys the oath in felghana which might be the best action rpg ever made. Ys 4 Ive heard is great.

As for SMT the SNES version is the one to play there.

The xak games are meant to be good and have fan translations. I'm not sure if they are cd or hu card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

...did not realise there was a remake on PSP... installing to the psp as we speak... physical copy looks spicy price-wise.

Enjoy, it's really good. Just don't be afraid to use a walkthrough if you get stuck. Both games are faithful to the original, obnoxious puzzles and all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I picked up the Rockman GB titles, have yet to play them, might give them a blast

3-5 are the good ones with 5 the best. Megaman 2 is a bit of a stinker

• Advertisement

The final, final stage on Mario Wonder is trumping all retro for me. Holy crap it's tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have yet to try the final stage, didn't want the game to end so I put it down for a bit!

Decided to try out the Tomb Raider 32X demo. Spent a while looking for it, could only find the 32X version patch which was a 552Kb download. No game to be found.

Or was there...

Thought I'd chance throwing what I thought was the patch it on an SD card and booting up the Megadrive/32X and Lara Croft appeared on my screen.

What absolute witchcraft! How did they fit all of that into barely over half a Mb?

About 12-15fps (I think I saw 17fps at one point) but seriously still playable, looked like I was witnessing a miracle.

After seeing what has been done with Doom Resurrection on the 32X I'd say this is going to get far more playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Nintendo Pocket Football Club on the 3DS does the impossible in making football management and actually watching a game somewhat compelling. It has to be up there with Inazuma Eleven in making something as tedious as soccer feel fun and exciting.

I find the more abstract and removed football games are from the actual sport the more fun it is. It's why sensible soccer and the old ISS Deluxe games are so much fun even for non gamers and why FIFA does everything in its power to be absolutely everything someone into videogames doesn't want with naff controls and rng bullshit.

Master of the Universe

I think that works across the board with most game genres too. The more lifelike you try to make a game, the less fun it becomes. Generally I find the genres which try to be most lifelike are the sports ones and I've a feeling that's why I've always found them boring.

Saying that, then you have things like Neo Cup 98 which is an absolute blast.

I think some sports game just lend themselves better to being fun sports games. Ice Hockey being one that had always been a huge amount of fun. Madden was great as well but they kind of FIFA'ed that up and ruined it. Basketball also tends to be one that works very well. The 2K NBA games play brilliantly despite 2K doing their outright best to ruin that series with monetisation.

Wrestling games have fallen off a cliff in the last few generations as you stick on a modern one and it just leans so hard into the sim end of thing you'd think it was a legit sport, and that's me as a lifelong, avowed 'rasslin fan. Hell, a lot of the criticism aimed at AEW: Fight Forever was that it was a throwback to older wrestling games with a focus on gameplay rather than say properly emulating 2006 Chris Jericho's shoe size or having a customize your contract negotiation mode.

Mind you, these are the same people that would tell you Fire Pro is a great series, so I'm more to blame for even getting involved in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think a lot of early PCs and graphics cards weren't running it at a much higher frame rate at the time!

I've heard the reason rasslin fans love fire pro is not that it's a great fighting game but that it emulates the flow of a rasslin fight better than anything else, with the ebbs and flow of a fighters dominating and miraculous comebacks . They don't really play it to win.

I think the issue with most sports games is that they've all become associated with one developer or brand that they are never going to change.

Konami tried their best with pro Evo but couldn't keep up with EAs popularity. 2K managed to wrestle the NBA game away from EA but their much better American football series was killed off by madden. Wrestling no longer has WcW games to compete. So you have a monopoly one these sports and the holders just could not be bothered to put much effort into making them good experiences (except 2K who seem to still care about making a fun basketball game that gets sabotaged by studio exec demands).

• Advertisement

From my time in the fandom, I've literally never heard/seen/encountered anyone talking about the actual game-feel/flow and most of the praise goes towards the customization options that let you CPU vs CPU Kenta Kobashi vs Marko Stunt in a Landmine Deathmatch.

My source was a Stephanie Sterling deep dive into the last game which I found interesting. It does seem to be a wrestling roleplay type game rather than something you'd consider competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Does anyone remember a game on the Megadrive called Megalomania?

I used to love it until I hated it!

I had a hankering for a game of it so tried emulating it. Apart from not being able to emulate it 100% on Ubuntu, the game is still good. For those that know it, I haven't played enough of it yet to get annoyed by the repetitive dialogue. I'm still getting the retro buzz from it and currently considering changing my incoming text ringtone to "You've advanced a tech level" or maybe "You're running out of elements", but I don't want to torture myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ah Mega-Lo-Mania!

I think I rememeber getting the cart back in the day as I really liked Powermonger and thought this was gonna be as good and I was disappointed :D

Could have well been that I didn't understand how to play it, but it went to the corner for PowerMonger went right back into the Mega Drive!

The Amiga version is easier to play with the mouse and smoother framerate, now with the Genesis/MD emulators/cores you can overclock them which aids the console experience...honest

Mega-Lo-Mania was always an amiga game for me. Works so much better there but the megadrive port is a decent effort.

Got back into my Link to the Past play through last night and got to the Turtle Rock boss to find I’m missing the Ice Rod. Not sure you can kill him without it!

This is the downside of trying to blast through a game when you’ve forgotten important details!

Master of the Universe

Playing that game in the early 90s is still (and I'm sure will forever) be my favourite gaming memory. Just magical really. Hadn't played a game like that before so went in completely blind. My whole concept of what videogames could be changed instantly.

Same here, @o1s1n! I spent weeks playing through it and still remember how I felt seeing the credits for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

With the distraction of Christmas out of the way, I was able to get back into this over the last week or two. I'm nearing the end of Threed now, and absolutely loving it.

It's hard to put into words and be all objective....but the game just oozes, and I mean oozes charm. Played about 90 mins today and it flew. Dying for tomorrow for more!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

While you play arguably one of the greatest games of the 16 bit generation, I'm torturing myself with some of the worst the PCE CD has to offer.

Behold, perhaps the worst Golden Axe port of all time!

Advertisement