Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldur's Gate III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think the thing to remember about BG3 is that there aren’t really many ‘minor’ encounters. What separates it from almost every other video game RPG is that every encounter feels significant and authored - the stakes may vary, but any fight can turn bad quickly. It doesn’t really have the random or filler encounters you have with other games. Obviously some are more narratively significant than others, but there are few if any fights that aren’t there for a unique, clearly motivated reason.

So yes - I think every encounter has the potential to be fairly difficult, and even more so if your current party is missing a vital skill (some act three fights are much more dependent on having particular abilities). It’s not a particularly hard game overall on medium (the opening ten hours or so are the most difficult as you’re just getting used to all the ins and outs), but it’s certainly overall a fairly consistent level of challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭recyclops

Just picked it up. I know they were saying series S won't have couch Co op but can't find how to turn it on the series X.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

While in a game playing you hit menu button where you see load/save and all that, and it's there under multiplayer.

You'll see 4 sets of boxes going left to right with each one being a possible player ( only 2 local + possible 2 online), connect the other controller and you can add them.

You'll then have the option of player 2 making a new character and player 1 can assign other characters for them to control too. The other characters will be below you name so normally if playing alone it'll be you on the left with all 4 characters under you profile.

It was that they had to create a custom character but not sure anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭recyclops

Thats perfect thanks, myself and the wife created two characters and played to the encounter or so, its going to be the blind leading the blind and neither of us bothered to read a thing about the game so we will either love it or hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

Planning to get this and start it in Jan when i'm off for two weeks .

Will I get it on steam and play it on pc / steam deck baring in mind iv no intention use mouse and keyboard I tend only use them for RTS so be controller on pc.

Or will I get it on ps5 and stream it on chiaki on steam deck when i'm lazy .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Id honestly recommend a keyboard and mouse with this game. It's the most PC ass game ever and I'm baffled people are coping with this on a controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,282 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah it's manageable on controller on console, but only because the gameplay is so good that you just get used to it because you have to. But for PC, kb/m looks like it's far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Tried to play on controller with geforce now, wanted to throw everything out the window it was that awkward. Don't know how people can use controller with these type of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Well, it's official. Karlach is the best videogame romance ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Spoken like someone that's never read sonic the hedgehog fan fiction

• Advertisement

I want to do another playthrough and make a lot of different decisions, but I also know I'm going to really struggle to not romance Karlach.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I had a one night stand with Lae'zel. She took the break up well.

Then fell in love with Karlach.

Briefly had my head turned when Shadowheart had her makeover but stayed strong.

It's me and Karlach 4 eva now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

M&K is definitely the optimal way to play, but it’s entirely playable with a controller. Once you get the hang of it, it’s a pretty good rebuild of the UI given the complex, PC-specific nature of the game. I’d have gone PC if my friends hadn’t been playing on console, but outside of a few quirks and an initial adjustment period I found the controls perfectly fine - a little clunky for sure, but do what they need to do when you need them to.

Inventory management is the biggest annoyance with a controller, but from what I’ve heard they didn’t get 100% of the way there with that on PC either 😅

Yeah you get used to the controller after a few hours. There were a few glitches with the UI which didn't help in terms of difficulty deleting or arranging the different radial menus for selecting actions. Also the fact I was very deep into the game before discovering how to select selecting multiple items quickly in the inventory. It does seem to make a lot of the movement outside battle a bit easier though, as you control your character rather than constantly pointing where you want them to go, panning the screen, pointing again, panning etc.

Once you get used to just knowing where all your actions are for your different characters on the radial menus, using a controller really isn't that bad.

But the kb/m seems a lot more well-designed and intuitive, especially during combat or when looting.

Still not really figures out how to give characters items

On controller? Can't remember the buttons off hand, but if you open the context menu on an item, you can pick Send To and then each character in your party's name is below. You can even do it while looting and have it go directly to them rather than adding to your own inventory and then moving to them.

Another great reason to have Karlach in your party. Her strength lets her be a mule for all the armour and weapons and anything else with a bit of weight in it.

On keyboard and mouse. I figured it out but it's not intuitive at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Thought it was pretty obvious myself, maybe that's just me.

You've a drag and drop interface, just let me open two people's inventories and let me drag and drop.

You can drag and drop, onto their portrait.

• Advertisement

Glad to be of some help. I was mighty confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

What are people's party make ups? Do you chop and change it or stick with the same people?

I played my sorcerer / Shadowheart / Astarion / Lae’Zel as my main party, but swapped in Karlach for Astarion relatively frequently when I needed some more tank power. A good balance of magic, support and attack / defence. Astarion was at his best in the field during the middle game (for lock picking / disarming) but with a few perks and powerful items became a remarkably capable ranged fighter in some key late game fights. I liked Karlach a lot but the absurd amount of powerful attacks Lae’Zel was able to dish out per turn in later encounters was too hard to turn down.

Others were mostly only swapped in for character specific quests or if they had a particular skill that was exceptionally useful for a particular fight.

I'm swapping characters out but keeping asterion most of the time as he has great utility out of combat.

Act 1: Me (warlock), Shadowheart, Karlach & Astarion

Act 2: Me, Shadowheart, Karlach & Gale

Act 3: Me, Shadowheart, Karlach, Gale/La'zael

La'zael probably is more powerful than Karlach, but I preferred Karlach's character (and her, at times completely inappropriate, idle dancing). Act 2 I found a lot of need for AOE attacks so Gale started coming in a lot more clutch, plus his ability to learn spells directly. And Shadowheart is great for support in general.

You do have to mix it up though. Others I used at times, particularly in Act 3, when I knew I was going to be furthering their stories. A lot of it also comes down to your own build. If I went fighter or Rogue instead of magics, Shadowheart and Gale probably would have been mainstays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Me: storm Cleric with I moved in and out of thing and reset depending on level. It's more a Larian thing than a D&D thing but lighting is more powerful in this than normal D&D as water plays a part.

Astarion, doors, chest, sneak killing to make stuff easier.

fighter, unless story needed I go Karlach.

Last person is story or spellcaster.

I've got Shadowheart as a light cleric as I found her Trickery less than useful. Having 2 clerics in Act 2 made it very simple as you can nuke whole areas of undead.

Second playthrough I started was to get a missed trophy, did that as a Bard and it's pretty fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Chop and change only to finish out character storylines. Used Gale, Karlach and La'zael pretty straight up along with my Ranger with theif skills. Most bases were covered except healing which I use potions and rest. We were quite strong by the 3rd act and was never really challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I have Astarion, La'zael and Karlac but kinda want to have shadowheart in there for healing. Might just experiment a bit more and run a few fights with different characters and see how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Struggling to make progression with main quest lines in Act 3, can’t seem to find where I’m mentally to go, I know there are markers but they seem to be sending me around in circles. What am I missing??

Advertisement