Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is Elon Musk hurting Tesla?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I wouldn’t want to purchase a car from a company who is owned by a man as appalling as Musk. The same way I wouldn’t buy goods made in the Occupied West Bank or by Nestle.

The nasty plastic interior sealed the deal for us. Mitsubishi 1988 sort of plastic being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭staples7

Good man yourself, you must take an awful long time to do your weekly shop at that rate 😂

Not really. I won’t buy a Tesla for 3 reasons - 1). Musk is an awful man and I don’t want to contribute financially to his awfulness 2). depreciation is terrible at the moment 3). I think they are a very ugly car and the interior is appalling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1. you are 100% entitled to your opinion and to stand up to your beliefs. No issue there. Just don’t be a hypocrite and then give your money to a VAG Group whose CEO will also benefit. And I don’t mean that statement is aimed at you personally. It’s a general statement aimed at anyone that says they won’t give one ceo money but will give another ceo with the same questionable morals their money.
    2. As it is will all EVs and most cars.
    3. Subjective opinion and you’re entitled to that too. Beauty is in the synod the beholder and all that.

I haven’t a clue who the CEO of Volkswagen is. I do know who musk is and I don’t like him so I won’t be giving him my money. He platforms people like Alex Jones. He makes claims about self driving that are actively dangerous. He’s just a bad individual.

Anyways, going off on a tangent here. Weckler’s article was interesting, and it resonated with a lot of people. Early adopters love shiny new stuff, but it doesn’t mean their purchase isn’t up to scrutiny and criticism where warranted.

• Advertisement

Wreckler is not an early adapter.

VW CEO . Emission scandals. VW and its links to Hitler…. You don’t know any of this yet you know what that musk guy ate for breakfast 😂

I wouldn’t give VW a pent of my own money. The loose morals of their history, the rate at which they scammed customers and cheated their way through the emission scandals for profit at the mercy of their “loyal” customers. Scum.

If you bury your head in the sand to suit your own purchase that’s fine. No point having standards and then breaking them just to suit yourself.

• Administrators Posts: 357 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: EV Depreciation 2023.

I’m not buying a VW by the way. You made that up to suit your narrative. Please don’t get so offended when I say I think Tesla’s are ugly to look at, have a truly awful interior, and that their owner is a really bad dude. You obviously have a different opinion. That’s ok too.

No offense taken.

I mention VW because you mentioned VW. I did not make that up.

My Op stated VAG Group.

My big gripe is people that say I won’t buy this because of musk, yet spend their money on another brand with just as bad or worse ceo. Hypocrites.

I type this message while sitting in my German bmw waiting outside a school for one of the kids. I’ve no gripe about buying a German car but I don’t go around being hypocrite posting double standards. They all have skeletons in their closets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

To be fair I don't know if any other CEO who puts himself out there the way Musk does with deliberately provocative opinions etc.

I think it's valid and fair that people wouldn't want to buy a Tesla as a result of his behaviour and opinions.

Are there other motor group CEOs with equally horrible political opinions and behaviours, of course, but they don't buy twitter and ram those opinions down everyone's throat every day of the week.

• Advertisement

Plenty of other CEO’s alright but I don’t follow any of them. Including the Tesla ceo.

If we based out buying power from CEO,a I don’t think there be many sales in Ireland.

There’s only one brand I feel with a clean board and that’s BYD at the moment.

I do find it utterly bizarre about how such an awful human being as Musk inspires such blind devotion from his online disciples.

The dude gives a platform to people like Alex Jones and Andrew Tate. He’s truly awful.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If I was a Tesla shareholder I'd have a similar opinion, as a person buying a car it didn't bother me too much, but I can completely understand why some people would choose not to engage with a brand because of the actions of owners/senior members of staff.

Where I draw a line is when people start throwing insults at people who have bought a Tesla. Everybody has a different level of ethic's when it comes to personal purchasing decisions, and I don't think it's right to attack the customers instead of the company. Thankfully we haven't seen too much of that carry on.

I also find it utterly bizarre that people who hate him so much, post about him so much. They spend alot of their time with him living rent free in their heads.

Even in the Tesla threads, he’s barely mentioned. His post count looking at the stats is by non Tesla owners more than Tesla owners based on this site alone. Very strange.

VW also gave Hitler a platform. That’s says alot also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,813 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

My big gripe is people that say I won’t buy this because of musk, yet spend their money on another brand with just as bad or worse ceo. Hypocrites.

I wouldn’t give VW a pent of my own money.

Do you own a Tesla?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Ya, twas like your man a few pages back saying he wouldn't buy one because of Musk but sees no problem using Twitter. 🤣

Will be interesting when all the Tesla chargers open up to see where the morals lie. Hypocrites.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

20+ years operating in China I'm sure there's a few skeletons in that closet too.

I’m not sure. Decent history. Nothin public on the CEO’s etc

We would have seen something on them by now.

maybe I’m wishful thinking 😀

The hypocrite slur is being thrown out very freely. All for making the perfectly reasonable decision not to buy a Tesla because their CEO is a truly awful man. A lying and deceitful bully who only believes in “free speech” when it’s not directed at him. Now that is actual hypocrisy.

That’s an interesting post actually. I’m not on Facebook but there’s an Irish EV group and it’s a cess pool. Yet they had no problem using the opened up Tesla super chargers because they were significantly cheaper than the ionity and ecar counterparts.

I couldnt read too much of it without registering so can’t comment on the full post.

• Advertisement

I think Musk is an egotistical manchild but you would prefer to only platform people you agree with? The best thing to do with those type of people is to ridicule and expose their moronic ideas.

Otherwise they exist in echo chambers where they won't be called out.

☀️

Yes, I believe that people like Alex Jones and Andrew Tate are better off not having a platform to spread their hate. Absolute free speech is a fallacy. Jones was the charmer who claimed a school shooting was fake. Repugnant and sociopathic.

If you don't want to buy a car/brand due to reasons, e.g. the CEO, that's fine.

You don't need to validate that decision to another person who doesn't buy a different car/brand due to the CEO and other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

Won't be a problem for me. I have a charger in my garage and I do not have a twitter account and have no interest in it regardless of who is its owner.

I will re-iterate again I bought my Mustang Mach E after I had the chance to really check it out and a Telsa given I have neighbours who have each car and the Mustang was easily the choice for me. The fact that Telsa's owner is a truly odious human being is one thing lots of people are not so pleasant shall we say. The difference is that Musk is using his power and position at actively spread hate racism and violence and doing it in the here and now. I do try and spend my money when buying products and or services on companies that act in a positive manner and are trying to be positive companies be it the environment, their employees, their suppliers etc. But there is no question if you wanted to do a dive into almost any company there would be bad things there. All I can do is the best I can and Musk well it doesn't get any more in your face then him.

As a quick happy aside Bailey's became a B corp just over a year ago. Doesn't make it taste any better but it makes the purchase of it a little sweeter:)

Ya I know who they are, but banning them just makes them more attractive to people who would be influenced by them imo. Expose the scum and deal with them in the courts.

You're correct that he seems to believe in free speech when it suits him, as I said a man child.

I do like my Tesla though, I've been driving a Byd Atto 3 a good bit lately and I can't wait to get back in my M3 at the end of the day. Some of the plastics are more fitting to a fisher price toy.

☀️

I couldn’t give a shïte what sort of car a total stranger wants to buy. I’d prefer not to be called a hypocrite for pointing out that lots of people won’t buy a Tesla because Musk is the public face of the company and is a truly appalling individual. That the cars have panel gaps, plasticy interior and reliability issues are more reasons.

You aren't being the hypocrite in this situation. The individual who may or may not be lecturing you for not buying a car brand because of CEO reasons, when they themselves won't touch a brand due to CEO/reasons might possibly be ;)

You're correct that some won't, no doubt about it. I don't believe anyone called you a hypocrite.

You drive a panel gapless car? I'd love to see that.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

and your point is in regards to what I said above in terms of me buying a Mustang over a Telsa? For fullness my other considered EV's at the time were a Volvo and a Volkswagen.

Advertisement