Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is Elon Musk hurting Tesla?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I suppose none of this internet crap makes its way to the streets thankfully.

I see Tesla cars every day, from taxi drivers, to young people to older folks and everything in between. If I’m sitting there in my 530 I don’t think “hey, there’s Elon musk the fool”. I don’t care to be honest. I see the car, I see the tech, the performance, the EV! In the same way when k see a nice GTi, STi, Evo or a nice JDM RX7 like I did today, I don’t think big racer, I see the car. I can make that distinction thankfully.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's hard to take someone seriously when they speak so much about the ownership experience of a car they haven't bought from a brand they are boycotting due to the public profile of it's CEO.

Are there any other cars you haven't owned where you also had such a negative non-ownership experience of?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,827 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's seems none of what I wrote has given you any context as to why I won't buy one. But that's ok Liam.

You do you. Il offer an alternate view. We can both have them.

Enjoy your weekend. Vroom vroom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

It's a bit of an unusual situation as in modern times there really hasn't been a car brand with a CEO like this. Musk is highly unusual in that regard and he's highly controversial and throws himself into more and more political topics and highly divisive topics all the time, and he owns one of the loudest megaphones in the world: Twitter.

I don't think anyone would even be able to name another car marker CEO. So it's very hard to calculate what impact he's having on the brand and sales, but it would seem highly unlikely that he isn't having a significant impact.

Also he's selling an EV, which still appeals very much to a more environmentally aware market than a typical car. That market and the stuff Musk says seem to have nothing in common at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Woodie40

They are in no way a luxury car.

They are a MAGA hat on wheels and are an embarrassment to be associated with, a toxic downmarket brand.

• Advertisement

On the ball there quoting a post from 12 months ago. 😂

Unfortunately there’s probably no luxury EV’s on this island until some Lucid cars make it over.

Nothing EV is full on luxury lately.

Why do we Irish idiots get so hot and bothered by American politics?

Maybe it be good if we follow suit as Audi have had to reduce the EV pricing over there for 2024 to try get sales. $20k discounts on the GT eTron alone.

American politics is it..

Literally now....

I can see his point.

A quote from your link.

“Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar says the government is "very white" and that it "very much needs to change" to be more "diverse."

“The Irish Government is too white”

Ireland is 94.1% white.”

Edit - Probably shouldn’t be discussing race in here anyway. Way off topic and it will end in carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I'd say you're a little confused, don't the maga freaks hate Tesla's and electric cars in general?

☀️

That’s what I thought based on their trolling of EV’s in their trucks and coal rolling them!

• Advertisement

So Leo hates irish people.

Interesting stuff gumbo can you elaborate on that.

Sure earlier on musk wasn't really involved in international affairs and we were 'importing US culture wars' musk being too busy and important as tesla CEO doing all importanty stuff....

The quotes are from the link you posted. You can interpret his words how you see fit. I’ll do me. I’m Not getting into a politics d1ck measuring contest with some man/woman on the internet. Thanks.

The screen shot is in my post. The Irish PM hates irish people. You said he has a point.

Elaborate on your point that you said he has a point see if it alters my opinion that the fella is a dribbling loo laa with too much money and as I've said an absolute liability to the company.

Feels like you want to run away from the fact you're only finding out now how much of a fool this fella really is.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Keep comments on this thread limited to the impact on Tesla rather than Elon's political statements which are more suited to the current affairs forum, @listermint you're drifting too far

Post edited by liamog on

Edited!

Actually just move the entire thread to where it needs to go, there's no reasonable argument for keeping his political statements which he makes personally out of a conversation of his impact on the company. The 2 are fundamentally tied together.

The only reason one would want to separate or quieten the discussion of what he says and does is because you don't want to hear it and how it may harm the brand.

The most frustrating thread ever and ring fencing the content is completely at odds with the title above it. Should be locked or moved.

Here's another political statement he's made on and off twitter. Should this not be discussed. The rules are both unclear , weird and bizarre in equal measure.

All of it comes back to his impact on the company. Its share price it's public perception and the value of the goods in it.

People are obviously free to vote with their hard earned. Would his outbursts stop me buying a Tesla if I was in the market, no.

In the same way MOL outbursts into French working laws won’t stop me flying Ryanair again.

There may be some truth in this, I listened to a podcast on Spotify (Flipping the bird or something like that) about his takeover of Twitter and it was mentioned that he sacked a coder who told him that maybe the algorithm shouldn't put him top of the pile as some may not be interested. Apparently he hired someone more obliging.

The guy seems to be a total ego maniac, throwing his toys out of the pram when he doesn't get his way.

☀️

In that context when your taking a ryanair flight you're going from A to B there's nothing retained.

In Tesla context your buying a vehicle and you hope to have at least some value in it to buy the next vehicle. The value of one has dropped drastically along with new sales since he started his crusade. The two may not be entirely aligned but its certainly connected in respect he's poisoning the well for the core buying base.

Not everyone , but alienating core customers in a now competitive market is madness

Did he not say he wanted the model 3 to be the next Corolla. A mass produced affordable car?

People buy cars new. They loose value. More so at the higher end.

The 2019 cars are still late 20’s which % ratio to the new cost of €41 is average I would have thought?

Compare to Porsche Taycans which have died a death in the uk now. Also, on DoneDeal, a top spec GT eTron can be bought for €80k, a 22 model that was €130k only a year ago.

I wouldn’t be too bothered with resale values as if I was buying a new car I’d expect the normal 50% value after 3 years. Those that don’t are foolish.

• Advertisement

Wasn't the mission statement to bring Ev's to the masses? That would only be accomplished with price reductions, and that success was there for all to see this year when the Model Y became the best selling car in the world.

☀️

46 percent in under 2 years is probably not legitimate tbh. Don't be comparison with Supercar brands that's disingenuous tesla are as you often put it the every person saloon..

Anyway as I said he's poisoning the brand with core customers. It may surprise bit there are alot of people who buy on ethics and values. And he's harming sales. You don't exclude customers in a competitive market.

He's had many mission statements on various businesses and subjects. They're not real they're corporate missions statements. Solar roofs for the masses etc...

the price depreciation is relative and proves it’s no different to any other brand.

VW ID4 GTX, €70k in 221. Sold for €45k by Windsor in Finglas last month. That’s a more down to earth comparison I suppose to suit the agenda.

My view from the outside is that people’s hatred for Musk is just that, hatred. And you are entitled to that opinion. Nothing wrong there.

But the stats don’t lie, his antics as we currently speak are not effecting Tesla sales in Ireland.

So what? He said he wanted to make a mass market Ev and he did. Your assertion that he's harming the brand doesn't tally with the success of the company. I'm sure some people care that he's tool but most don't because they have enough maturity to seperate the brand from the Ceo.

☀️

Grand thats settled he's not harming the brand.

All wrapped up so lads. I'm off to buy some shares.

I wouldn't if I were you, the Chinese are coming.😁

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Panrich

I was planning on buying a Tesla as my next car but I have turned 180 since he took over Twitter. I had some reservations about the time that he went mental when the kids were trapped in that cave but he's now totally toxic. Some may still wave a flag for him but I'll be spending my hard earned in another brand. It might not shift the needle much but I don't care.

• Advertisement

Advertisement