Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That’s the starter kit you want as you get the bridge, and 3 of the colour bulbs which are the top of the range bulbs. You also get the button switch with it. Once you get this kit all you need to grow your system is additional bulbs or additional switches & sensors.

this is the starter pack I’d recommend.

the various styles of Hue bulbs come in 3 grades;

White = warm white standard type bulb

White Ambience = warm to cold whites and everything in between

White & Colour Ambience = like the white ambience above but with the addition of colour

best place is still Amazon but always be watching for deals (2 colour e27 bulbs were €56 last week but normally over €100 for a pair)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

best place is still Amazon but always be watching for deals (2 colour e27 bulbs were €56 last week but normally over €100 for a pair)

Saw that alright but didn't pull the trigger, they had been £30 a month or two ago which I was raging to have missed. There is a newer E27 bulb out which is 1600 lumens and slightly bigger with length 130 and width 67 if brightness is important to you. The 1100 lumen bulbs are 110 in length 60 in diameter:

The bargain alerts thread is dead, nothing of value at all recently.

Suffice to say it’s all worked out quite well…

I’m in Lithuania at the moment and signed up to a 4G data plan yesterday (€11.39pm for 24 months with unlimited data), All I needed was my passport and an email address and I was out the door with the SIM card in 5 minutes!!

back to the house and plugged in the router and BANG!! Up and running in 30 seconds… and pretty impressive speeds too

Set up the Philips Hue Bridge and added it to my app and started linking up the lights I’d already installed, as well as throwing in some various bulbs here and there… to just get some automation going…

These are the 2 Enrave Hue While Ambience lights in the bathrooms, small & medium size..

Happy Days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I've a fair bit of Hue throughout the house. Lightstrips, colour bulbs, warm white bulbs, dimmer switches. Have a couple of sensors but never found a need for using them.

I am about to do a re-wire and I'm not sure I'll take Hue into consideration. I think I'll rewire as normal, regular switches etc. If I want to add existing Hue stuff back in I will, but as I would have done initially, put a dimmer over a traditional switch Etc.

I guess why I'm posting is this....feels to me like Hue is at best a nice to have, and I could totally live without it.

The ask......tell.me why I am wrong!

I got my first hue starter set 9 years ago and yeah it’s a very nice to have, but I couldn’t live without the automation of it all at this stage… all in I’ve probably bought about 150+ various Hue bulbs over the years..

As I posted above I’ve just started fitting out a holiday home we bought in Lithuania with Hue and I put a few bulbs in on Thursday after I got internet hooked up…. And found it a pain in the hole having to get the phone out to adjust lights…. By the time i flew home on Sunday night I’d already set up 2 dimmer switches and a sensor, and have since added a basic routine to turn a few lights on/off every day.

regarding sensors, for me they are by far the best aspect of the hue system…. I have one in the kitchen, bathroom, en-suite and my office (and now in the bathroom in the holiday house, and I need at least 2 more for there). They are in the rooms that aren’t controlled by any routine as they are lights that only need to come on when those rooms are in use….

overall for me the best thing about the system is the lack of user input that’s needed on a day to day basis…. I still have dimmer switches everywhere if I ever need to change a room to a brighter/dimmer scene or turn a light on/off outside of its scheduled time, but those times are few and far between example: I’ve 11 dimmer switches at least 3 years now and have only ever changed the battery on 2 of them..

id still wire the house up as normal as if you ever do leave it…. You’ll want to take your very expensive smart lighting system with you…… I reckon I must be in for over €10k with it all at this stage!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'd rewire to a smart home system if I was rewiring. Seems better to make the switches and plugs all smart while you are at it. I'd also run Ethernet everywhere and multiple drops for the most important rooms. Run it all back to a utility where you can have your internet/modem/switches and servers controlling everything/serving media. A raspberry pi will do for a lot of services.

Thanks. Yes I'm planning Ethernet to all rooms and POE circuit to specific spots for my Ubiquiti APs, all back to a single location.

When you say rewire to a home smart system, what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

KNX, Velbus, Loxone or Shelly who also have some interesting products. You'd have to do your research as I haven't had time to dig into them all to figure out their pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Quick question

I have a Sonoff 3.0 Zigbee hub connected to home assistant, I presume I can use this instead of the Philips Hue Hub to connect any Hue lights I put in...

Thanks

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Question to the folks that have integrated IKEA smart lighting into their Hue setup…

We just had a kitchen installed in our holiday home, and we got the led under unit lights with it, but they also came with this dimmer/remote, which the guy says isn’t working, so we just have basic on/off functionality via a wall switch….

One of the cables for a light was also missing so one of the lights wasn’t installed which is fine as I’ll do it when I’m back over there and the guy explained where it’s to go..

The question is can I integrate these kitchen unit lights into my Hue setup? Or would I need to add any additional hardware (like Ikea’s smart home bridge) to make them work with Hue?

Also not sure if the lights in the ikea extraction fan also can be remotely controlled with the same remote/smart/hue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've some IKEA switches controlling hue lights (and IKEA lights running on hue) at home. The switches don't show in hue, there was a third party android app I had to download and then you had to pair the switch with each light your want it to work with. Was a pain to do for downloghters but on working, had been faultless

Anyone know how to wipe Hue completely from Google Home? Utterly frustrated here. Broken bulbs impossible to remove from Google Home. Everything is set up fine on Hue App, but I want to start from scratch on Google Home and can't seem to find out how. I thought I'd managed to remove Hue from Google Home but it still has all the Lights and Rooms.

I seem to have unlinked it but Google Home still showing all the old lights.

Same issue with Nest. Neither Hue nor Nest are now linked to Google home but when I tell Google to synch devices it tells me they both failed to synch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Anyone know how to turn on a hue smart plug automatically? I have a couple of Lidk smart plugs that I want to turn on at specific times. They are recognised by ypthe hue app and I can turn them on/off from the app. However I cannot find and way of turning them on from a routine. The on,y options I can find is turn it off or set it to a certain brightness. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Whats the story with the future of Philips Hue? I read recently that they have had to be bailed out by the Agnelli family to the tune of $2.5B following a massive recall of faulty product... They are to concentrate on their medical products rather than consumer tech...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Philips don't actually own hue anymore. Signify took over a few years ago.

Just going back to this, we were just over in Lithuania for 3 weeks, and on the very last night I said fcuk it I want to get the rest of the kitchen counter lights working... 3 were installed but only 1 was working because Ikea didn't initially send 2 cables to plug them in.... so I finally got around to wiring them up, and said I'd give it a go pairing them to the hue hub, and low and behold they appeared when searching for them (had to toggle them on/off to get them seen by the hub... but they work and are now added to my Hue setup!!

They appear to be a white only type of colour, but I can live with that.... and I don't need to use the silly Ikea remote that came with them as they work seamlessly with my existing Hue remotes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Any one ever experience the motion sensor always triggering their lights no matter what the light level sensitivity is set to?

Happening in my kitchen now and it's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,812 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone thinking of getting the Philips cameras?

I see the app now let's you use your motion detectors to notify you if there's movement.

Nah, I’ll just stick to the bulbs…

ingot these EZVIZ cameras for the holiday house, and they also do smart plugs, so I’ve gone all in with them for cameras…

• Advertisement

I think I'll get two for outside. One to cover the back and one for the front, possibly a third for inside but I'll only be buying when they're reduced like all my hue gear 😁

Anyone ever get an error - can't reach the Philips Hue - from Google Home? Hue app can control the lights but in some rooms where the Google home is on the wifi it can't seem to see the hue bridge. All on the same network. Do the Hue bulbs need to see the bridge, I would have thought being on the network is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Have 2 white and colour light bulbs in kitchen. When I turn them on one lighter white than other even though same setting. Then after a while they flicker to match

Anyone experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

I'm having difficulties connecting Philips Hue bulb to Google Home,not sure if it's even possible.

I'm not using a bridge and trying to connect with the 'works with Google ' option. Keep getting the 'could not reach Philips Hue' message.

Any help appreciated 👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's definitely possible, have most of the lights in my house setup with it for a couple of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The hub acts as a hub, so you need to use the hub + hue app to get the light working and to then connect to Google Home. At least that's the intended out of the box... I'm sure someone on the internet has discovered another way to use them without the hub, but it's likely to be a complex matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

Hi everyone 👋

I have a hue light strip behind my TV that comes on with the socket for the TV. This switch is turned off at night so when the TV is put on the next day the light strip comes on. I have a hue light button, it's a round one that can detach from a faceplate. I can't see a setting to turn on the light. I can get it to turn off but nothing for turning it back on?

Are you using a Hue Bridge? If so go to the accessories section of the app and adjust what you want each press of the button to do.

with the button you need to press it quickly repeatedly to flick through the preset scenes, but if you press it when it hasn’t been pressed in the previous 5 seconds it will turn off the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

Ya on the hue bridge, it's only giving me four options for single press

1) light off

2) single scence

3) scence cycle

4) time based light.

I have option 1 ticked.

And for second option press and hold four options

1) Do nothing

2) turn off

3) dim up down

4) entire home off

• Advertisement

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/jetstroem-led-wall-light-panel-smart-dimmable-wired-in-colour-and-white-spectrum-80536074/

Does anyone have the above? If so do you know if these can be connected to a Hue Hub like some of the other IKEA smart bulbs? Was going to pick up some for the sitting room if they work.

Advertisement